ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are their any good Chinese PA manufacturers?  (Read 3988 times)

George Hatzis

Are their any good Chinese PA manufacturers?
« on: June 23, 2020, 11:43:00 AM »

We've all seen our fair share of absolutely horrendous Chinese built PA speakers...
But i must say, in my time i've also seen some pretty decent built boxes out of China that were ridiculously cheap.
I can't be bothered building my own, so my question is; is it worth importing some from China? Has anyone on here done it and have any suppliers they can recommend? I was thinking if you chuck a Powersoft amp module and some B&C drivers, they'll sound half decent.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Are their any good Chinese PA manufacturers?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 12:14:35 PM »

It's just like anything else.

China can build things to the highest degree if they want to. They have the access to the best equipment and techniques available just like we do. The issue comes from a systemic mindset that look-a-like products sell really well and they have no moral quandry on producing and selling those items.

So as always, it depends.

If you are just buying empty cabs I'm guessing they will be built reasonably well. They will almost certainly be cut on a cnc router and hand assembled. The issues to watch out for is: poor assembly, inadequate glue, different inferior wood than what was advertised, maybe not nailed or screwed if the joints need it.

You also may want to buy 4 boxes today, and two years from now you want 8 more, but you can't because they don't make it anymore.

I think you would be better off designing your own cabinet and getting a local cabinet shop to knock them out. At least this way you can spec each part of the design yourself and do all the QC right away. If you strike a deal with the shop you can possibly wait until they have some downtime and need a project to keep the shop busy. Might get things a little cheaper that way if you can wait.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 12:03:32 AM »

You get what you pay for.  Can you get cheap crap from China? Sure.  But if you ever need to get it again, could you??  How much can you REALLY save by going that route?  Quality speakers by trusted brands aren't all that pricey (and many are actually made in china these days) and if you need another one, finding them isn't that tough.
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 12:37:46 PM »

If you're asking about "undiscovered gems of value and quality" the answer is no.  ESPECIALLY in China, you get ONLY what you pay for.  They're ruthless capitalists (we've been missing Ruth!).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 11:30:58 PM »

We've all seen our fair share of absolutely horrendous Chinese built PA speakers...
But i must say, in my time i've also seen some pretty decent built boxes out of China that were ridiculously cheap.
I can't be bothered building my own, so my question is; is it worth importing some from China? Has anyone on here done it and have any suppliers they can recommend? I was thinking if you chuck a Powersoft amp module and some B&C drivers, they'll sound half decent.
Somewhere in China there has to be PA hire companies that have to provide a level of quality or they just won't get hired again.  Figure out who the Chinese "Clair" is and find out what gear they are using, installing and selling.  Are there trade associations and news publications?  Trade Shows?  If they are not using European gear (like we are), then find out what it is and odds are it will handle the needs of our events with reliability too. 
If they are indeed "ruthless capitalists" there's always somebody who's pocketbook will be affected by failure.  Find out what those people trust and you'll have your answer.
Chances are it that product line isn't exported either!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 06:41:41 AM »

Somewhere in China there has to be PA hire companies that have to provide a level of quality or they just won't get hired again.  Figure out who the Chinese "Clair" is and find out what gear they are using, installing and selling.
A very good suggestion Craig!
I worked a gig in Shanghai and they were using (what looked like) Meyer. Could not be sure as it was already flown in the arena when we arrived.
I'm sure the Japanese could build good PA but when gigging there, I saw the provider was using L Acoustics.
The Chinese could make a great PA product but, so far, not seeing it.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 10:26:33 PM »

VUE Audiotechnik comes to mind. . .Ken Berger from EAW's new venture. It's nice stuff. Proves the Chinese are well capable of building nice PA.

If you want something non-branded you'd need to establish a relationship with a production she in China and have them spec build a rig for you. Mike Volkerding at Freq City Sound in Cincinnati has done this and he's happy to talk on the phone about it. He has some custom 15" coax monitors he sells that are supposed to perform well and he gets a bunch of other production gear the same way. It's an interesting business model.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 10:26:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.