ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Home - Shop/Warehouse - Pictures, Tips, Ideas  (Read 9599 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Small Home - Shop/Warehouse - Pictures, Tips, Ideas
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2020, 04:41:22 PM »

Floor plans of units - http://loftworkslv.com/docs/LoftWorksFloorplans.pdf

AGES ago, we rented a facility like that for rehearsals.  Best part of it were the 16' roll up doors, which allowed us to pull our truck completely inside, and load/unload protected from the cold Wisconsin air.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
Re: Shop/Warehouse - Pictures, Tips, Ideas
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2020, 07:00:30 PM »

Fiber reinforcement *may* be better at shrinkage crack control, but does not provide the tensile strength of steel rebar in slabs.  In a warehouse situation, subject to heavy loading, no substitute for bottom steel, IMHO.

Dave

This ^^^!

I worked in commercial nuclear power for my entire career and saw some plants built (and of course worked in them later). There is no fiber concrete anywhere. But there is tons and tons and tons of rebar. Some of that rebar looked thicker than my forearm, too. Fiber is good for controlling the surface shrinkage cracks as Dave said, but does not help with heavy loads so much.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2020, 02:16:42 PM »

Thanks everyone for the input.

I really appreciate it.

There's some great suggestions for both small, medium, and large shop/warehouses in here!

Art sent a good email my way and suggested a 40' reefer (refrigerated) storage trailer. Works well for trucks as it is already at loading dock height.
I'm additionally considering a storage trailer while we build instead of renting a storage unit.

---

I think at this point I'm going to have to curb some expectations. This isn't our 'dream' home just a good home for raising a family.

400 sq-ft shop is going to have to do, so that, county expectations, lot size, neighborhood aesthetics, zoning, etc. are adhered to.

While I won't be able to accomplish all of these, here's what caught my eye:

Insulate - was going to do this, but must be stated again.
Make sure floor does not slope AT ALL.
Pad infront for truck & trailer
Distro hookup (love this idea)
Natural light is a good idea - still considering this.
Casters on racks - I think this is a super neat concept if used in the right context!
Taller garage door for backing trailer into would be nice for when it rains here in FL...(all the time).
"Decide now if you're going to be a "million small tings in it's own cases" shop or "large flight cases to pack various stuff in"." - I'm a bit of both right now, haha.
Outdoor outlets!
Loft area
SM LC Fiber
Dade County approval
General thinking security (plexi, rebar, cameras, heavy duty locks, etc)

---

As for the cost questions from Drew and Scott.
We have a builder who will build for about $7.5k including concrete.
I'll ask for the reinforced rebar grid in the concrete since I'm doing heavy loads.
Extra pad size for trailer is a good idea which I'll add.
Thicker sheetmetal for roof & siding.
Insulate (MUST)

I think that will be about $10k after my additions & improvements & changes.

Lighting is cheap $200 for 10pack 8ft 10k lumens: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PH64CJJ (will probably need two switches, one for high intensity and one for night-time work)
I'll do the electrical myself (already have 200ft #2 direct burial service entrance cable). $400
I'll do SM Fiber myself. ($250)
Split system AC/Heat($1500)

Total around $13k

---

The dream home/shop will definitely have a larger number of suggestions from this thread.
I like the 2 stories approach, I like the dual dock height approach, MUCH MUCH LARGER :)

Hope everyone's doing okay!
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2020, 08:00:10 PM »

Lighting is cheap $200 for 10pack 8ft 10k lumens: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PH64CJJ (will probably need two switches, one for high intensity and one for night-time work)

Get a few more of the lights than you need. Some of these inexpensive lights fail early, having a few spares will let you replace like for like. The same ones might not be available a year or two from now! Also once built you might decide you want more light in some spot (e.g., a spot that gets shaded by racks or stairs).

Personally, my preference is to get cheap (or free) used fluorescent strip lights and put LED retrofit tubes (removing the ballast). That way if the LED goes bad, I don't have to replace the fixture or hope to find one that matches. The only issue is that some retrofits are wired from just one end; others are wired from both ends.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 08:06:43 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2020, 08:00:10 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.