ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PLX 3002 issue  (Read 496 times)

Taff Hewton

PLX 3002 issue
« on: June 19, 2020, 11:28:37 pm »

I have a PLX 3002 with an issue on power up. When switched on, one channel clip light comes on and stays on. If amp is switched on and off a couple of times, it usually then works normally. No issue with amp operation, it behaves normally once clip light goes out. Anyone ever come across this problem before. My tech cannot find anything apparently wrong. Amp is a few years old now, but has performed impeccably up till now.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: PLX 3002 issue
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 12:30:54 am »

Does it do this when nothing is connected to the amp?

If you have it working what does it do if you hit the amp on the top and bottom?
Or that matter do the same thing when the clip light is on.

Brian Bolly

• Baltimore, MD / Amsterdam, NL
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 03:59:56 am »

Contact QSC Service.  It's been a while since I've seen a 3002 (should be what, 20 years old by now?), but I seem to recall it latching a channel into protect on startup means you're either about to lose the channel.  The old QSC date codes are the first 4 digits of the serial listed as MMYY, so that would tell you its age as well.  You may question whether it's worth the cost to repair, if QSC would even repair it.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 07:25:04 am »

Contact QSC Service.  It's been a while since I've seen a 3002 (should be what, 20 years old by now?),

Good point, a 3002 will be way more than a few years old.
If it's old enough you may have the ribbon cable issue with it as well.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 05:58:16 pm »

I had a 3402 that did that once in a while. Power cycling generally did the trick.  However at one show, it wouldn't come on.  I got mad and turned it off and on a few times in a row, and then BANG, the thing exploded on me and let out the magic smoke. After changing my shorts, I tried again, and now it was completely dead. I ended up swapping the unit and finishing up the show.  Took it back to the shop and found that one of the channels was shorted.  Power cycling on and off seemed to have bypassed the protection on the power supply, so now I not only had a blown channel, but also destroyed the power supply on the unit.  Had a tech look at it and determined it wasn't economical to repair now that there was so much blown out of it.  Had I gotten it fixed right away, it would have been a reasonable repair.  Derp.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 05:58:16 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.