ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: College Concert Sound  (Read 3099 times)

James E. Johnson

College Concert Sound
« on: April 19, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »

I have a dilemma on our hands at UNC Charlotte. I am a Special Event Technician for the school and we do concerts indoors and outdoors for smaller groups (100 to 500). Currently we have OAP T-153's. They have served us well for many years. They are currently on their last legs and we are looking to replace them soon. We usually run 4 to 6 at a time on ABI amps. We are looking for something with a bit more overhead to them without pushing them to the edge. We would also like to have something that is self-powered. If anyone can give some suggestions for what we can look into getting would be greatly appreciated. We have been looking at the JBL635's and the QSC KW153's.

Thanks-
Eric Johnson

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: College Concert Sound
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:37:26 PM »

I have a dilemma We usually run 4 to 6 at a time on ABI amps.
Thanks-
Eric Johnson

It sort of depends on how you are deploying these things.  Considering that they are 90x40 nominal coverage/box, you would not want to be arraying them more than 2/side, and even then you'd be getting 180 degrees of coverage from a 2 cabinet splay.

If you're going to focus your power into an acceptable coverage pattern without excessive comb filtering/pattern interference you're going to want to look at cabinets which are meant to have a tighter focus or flat out higher power into fewer cabs.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Randall Hyde

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:04:54 PM »

I have a dilemma on our hands at UNC Charlotte. I am a Special Event Technician for the school and we do concerts indoors and outdoors for smaller groups (100 to 500). Currently we have OAP T-153's. They have served us well for many years. They are currently on their last legs and we are looking to replace them soon. We usually run 4 to 6 at a time on ABI amps. We are looking for something with a bit more overhead to them without pushing them to the edge. We would also like to have something that is self-powered. If anyone can give some suggestions for what we can look into getting would be greatly appreciated. We have been looking at the JBL635's and the QSC KW153's.

Thanks-
Eric Johnson

The PRX 635 has something like +9 dB maximum SPL over the T-153 cabs (assuming I've done the math correctly). I'd say you could easily get by with half the units.

Are you looking for powered cabinets?
Are 3-way cabs important to you?
Price?
If you want something more robust, I'd consider the JBL SRX series over the PRX, but they're not powered (and are quite power hungry).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:53:04 PM »

Look into the Yorkville powered stuff. Specifically the LS801P and the EF500P combo. These cabs will do what you want and allow you to array properly. They get very loud and sound good too.

Plus they are very robust and will allow you to send them out with student workers and not worry too much about them getting blown up. They also have a built in, very basic, mixer so you can take one EF500P and a tripod and plug in a mic and CD for all those dedication ceremonies.

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Nate Conti

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »

Look into the Yorkville powered stuff. Specifically the LS801P and the EF500P combo. These cabs will do what you want and allow you to array properly. They get very loud and sound good too.

Plus they are very robust and will allow you to send them out with student workers and not worry too much about them getting blown up. They also have a built in, very basic, mixer so you can take one EF500P and a tripod and plug in a mic and CD for all those dedication ceremonies.

+1
Crescent Pro Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 08:38:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.