ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Hum from Computer input  (Read 364 times)

Jeff Classen

Random Hum from Computer input
« on: June 13, 2020, 08:05:31 am »

We are running our computer into aux 5/6 (RCA jacks) on a Behringer x32 Compact.
When idle or playing back a video, the channels randomly have a short hum (Imagine the sound of a lightsaber waving through the air) and then stop.
I am using shielded cable and don't seem to get the noise when plugging in to a phone or other device.
The noise is not particularly loud (but is audible when the video playing is just speaking or soft music)

Kevin Maxwell

Re: Random Hum from Computer input
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 09:21:16 am »

We are running our computer into aux 5/6 (RCA jacks) on a Behringer x32 Compact.
When idle or playing back a video, the channels randomly have a short hum (Imagine the sound of a lightsaber waving through the air) and then stop.
I am using shielded cable and don't seem to get the noise when plugging in to a phone or other device.
The noise is not particularly loud (but is audible when the video playing is just speaking or soft music)

How long are the cables and have you tried moving them or changing the path that they are running now to see if the noise goes away?

Or you could try to teach it the words, most things hum because they dont know the words.  :-X

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 11:22:07 am »

What interface are you using between the computer and the X32?
This space for rent

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 03:38:44 pm »

What interface are you using between the computer and the X32?

Also curious about this.  Straight-through adapter cables often cause problems that sound like the OP's description.  Because of that, the industry standard interface is at minimum transformer isolation or active impedance matching with devices such as this: https://www.radialeng.com/product/proav2 or this: http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/direct-boxes/pcdi

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 05:07:00 pm »

Radial is great - also check out the USB-Pro DI, to bypass cheap D/A converters. 

If the computer is close enough - how about USB straight from computer to mixer? 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 05:15:55 pm »

If the computer is close enough - how about USB straight from computer to mixer?

That's my preferred way for the X32. I would think that would give you better quality than going through the laptops converters.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 09:55:01 pm »

That's my preferred way for the X32. I would think that would give you better quality than going through the laptops converters.

Indeed.  My Dell XPS is a monster number cruncher, but its sound card is the most awful sounding and performing POS that I've ever had the misfortune of owning.  Its Bluetooth audio I/O smokes it, and that's just ridiculous.

Kevin Graf

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 07:55:45 am »

It's doubtful that poor cables are causing that type of problem (but they might act as an antenna).
Finding intermittent noise problems is a problem in itself.
It might be something as simple as a burnt-out CFL bulb that you thought was turned off.
You might try the: "using an AM battery powered radio tuned to a quite spot near the low end of dial" trick.
or the "legacy guitar as a noise detector" trick.
Speedskater

Scott Slater

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 08:11:17 am »

If you want to use the RCA inputs instead of XLR, this is a budget friendly solution that our church used.  It works great at removing the noise from the computer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LP4RMG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 08:11:17 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.