ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experiences with JBL CBT 70J-1?  (Read 2077 times)

duane massey

Any experiences with JBL CBT 70J-1?
« on: October 06, 2020, 10:45:05 AM »

Medium church, 80x40, high open ceiling, spoken word only, 2 mics. Normally would build something, but not in this case.
Anything comparable in the same price range? These seem like they would be adequate, and the client would recognize the name.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Any experiences with JBL CBT 70J-1?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »

Medium church, 80x40, high open ceiling, spoken word only, 2 mics. Normally would build something, but not in this case.
Anything comparable in the same price range? These seem like they would be adequate, and the client would recognize the name.

I've installed a few of these. They are surprisingly impressive. Good front to back coverage. Nice clean full sound with minimal EQ'ing needed. Not a lot of low end, but good for speech only applications. Don't think I would run a band through them. Maybe an acoustic, keys and a couple of vocalists.

They do offer an "extension" box that gives more low end if needed, but makes it rather long and harder to install. Definitely improves the low end and overall sound though.

We've powered them with a single xti4002 and was plenty.

The pan and tilt wall bracket that comes with it is a bit "clumsy" but works good once it's properly mounted to the wall. I would suggest going the extra mile to make sure they are securely attached if wall mounting. They stand off the wall which increase the pull weight.  They can be suspended from the ceiling if that works best, but we have always wall mounted them.

Good luck
Hope that helps

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 07:09:54 PM »

Thanks, appreciate the response. I will suspend from the rafters, and will have the luxury of experimenting with positioning if I want to go to the trouble.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 09:50:32 PM »

Thanks, appreciate the response. I will suspend from the rafters, and will have the luxury of experimenting with positioning if I want to go to the trouble.

I have used the CBT70J(most of the time with the +E) many times and the main takeaway is that it’s way better then it should be. One can cover and entire HS gym, and needs only a little EQ to sound good doing it. If only I could buy it from someone not owned by Samsung...
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Jon Dees

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 03:39:33 PM »

An installer put one in our train station. I was very skeptical but for speech it is remarkable.

Street view pic

It is black and to the right and above the clock just below the window line.

I have used the CBT70J(most of the time with the +E) many times and the main takeaway is that it’s way better then it should be. One can cover and entire HS gym, and needs only a little EQ to sound good doing it. If only I could buy it from someone not owned by Samsung...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 03:39:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.