ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 Rack set-up questions  (Read 4629 times)

W. Mark Hellinger

X32 Rack set-up questions
« on: June 11, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »

I'm setting up a new X32 Rack for the first time, strictly using the mixer's on-board controls, and I can't get the darn thing to pass signal to monitor amps.  I've search a plenty for answers with no luck.  The sticking point may be that my pressing the #3 (notated on the X32 Rack: Callouts) "Channel Select button" seemingly does nothing... will not "jump to the next type of channels":  Won't select down to anything below the "In", like to: "Aux/Fx, Bus, etc...  Any advice?  (hopefully it's not that I'm unwittingly trying to use a valet key  ;) )

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: X32 Rack set-up questions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 05:22:11 PM »

I'm setting up a new X32 Rack for the first time, strictly using the mixer's on-board controls, and I can't get the darn thing to pass signal to monitor amps.  I've search a plenty for answers with no luck.  The sticking point may be that my pressing the #3 (notated on the X32 Rack: Callouts) "Channel Select button" seemingly does nothing... will not "jump to the next type of channels":  Won't select down to anything below the "In", like to: "Aux/Fx, Bus, etc...  Any advice?  (hopefully it's not that I'm unwittingly trying to use a valet key  ;) )
Are you pushing the knob to select the different type of things that rotating the knob controls?

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 05:26:26 PM »

Hi Mark,

The select knob should scroll through channels, aux channels, FX, mixbuses, matrices, etc. It can be a lot of scrolling, but it should get there eventually. If it's not, perhaps there's something wrong with your unit.

I'll also say that using the X32 Rack's front panel is a very inefficient way to get around, and you'd have an easier time controlling it over the network.

There are a lot of things that could prevent your monitor outputs from working. Off the top of my head, make sure the outputs are routed correctly, the output faders are up and unmuted, and the channel send(s) are up and unmuted on each send. Hopefully you can get it going, but let me know if you continue to have issues or if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »

The select knob should scroll through channels, aux channels, FX, mixbuses, matrices, etc. It can be a lot of scrolling, but it should get there eventually. If it's not, perhaps there's something wrong with your unit.
Thanks Brian... that cleared that hurtle... I didn't know to just keep twirling the #3 knob to get past the "In" station... acting on your advice "that" seems to be functioning properly.  Ok... on to hopefully some progress. 

I'll also say that using the X32 Rack's front panel is a very inefficient way to get around, and you'd have an easier time controlling it over the network.
I have a tablet for the system.  Long story short:  This has been a work in progress project spanning about a year... bought the mixer back then and have been pecking away at setting up a live rack for it... got it all assembled and wired-up and just started with the mixer set-up, but shelved the project a few months ago (cause something shiny with poofy tail caught my attention)… got back to it this morning (because I "happen" to have some time on my hands so I dusted off the "to-do list"), pulled out the tablet a bit ago and it's battery was dead, so it's on a charger.  "That", plus I figured I should discipline myself to not rely on the tablet and be fundamentally able to get around strictly on the mixer's on-board interface as a contingency.

There are a lot of things that could prevent your monitor outputs from working. Off the top of my head, make sure the outputs are routed correctly, the output faders are up and unmuted, and the channel send(s) are up and unmuted on each send. Hopefully you can get it going, but let me know if you continue to have issues or if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.
Thanks Brian... I'll forge on and see what.

Update:  Yup... that worked... I just gotta remember to twirl then push knob #3 (sticky note has been applied).  I'm happy to report I seemingly have full rudimentary function now.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:24:13 PM by W. Mark Hellinger »

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 06:51:07 PM »

pulled out the tablet a bit ago and it's battery was dead, so it's on a charger.  "That", plus I figured I should discipline myself to not rely on the tablet and be fundamentally able to get around strictly on the mixer's on-board interface as a contingency.
Blimey, you're a glutton for punishment!
If you don't know the mixer well, you're mad to try and do it all through the front panel.  It's a tough enough interface, when you know the mixer!
Just use the tablet or, better still, a PC/laptop.  You'll have a much better idea of what you're doing, and save *so* much time/aggravation.  And it'll make it much clearer what you're doing when you do try accessing functions from the front panel.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 07:12:39 PM »

Hi Mark-

I happen to have my X32 Rack at home with me.  I can roll it back to V3.11 to help you troubleshoot if needed.  As a basic UI note, both the X32 Rack and X32 use "turn to highlight, push to select" controls where the control does not have a fixed function.  It ain't selected, detected or rejected (sorry, Arlo) until the knob is pushed.

The fastest way I've found to set up any flavor of X32 is via computer running the firmware-matching version of X32 Edit.  Things that require multiple button pokes and knob turns on the physical surface are pretty much 'point and click' in the Editor software.  For Android tablets and phones I'm a happy user of Mixing Station (free) and Mixing Station Pro (paid, and worth it) as they handle the vast majority of configuration stuff, too.

Factory default is mixes 1-6 on XLR 1-6, and L/R on XLR 7-8.  You can also soft-repatch the 1/4" TRS "AUX" outputs to other things and get 6 more outputs.

As to what may be stopping you from getting an output signal?  Lots of possibilities and some of my suggestions or "IIRCs" are could be based on factory default(s) or confused with stuff I've changed so with the disclaimer out of the way...  Mic plugged into input #1, use the scroll knob to select BUS 1 (the "BUS" LED is lit, display shows "1", then press).  Use the "Channel Level" knob under the SOLO and MUTE buttons to turn up the bus output (then are fully down by default) - you'll see the 'fader' on the screen move up.  Use the scroll knob to go back to Ch 1 ("IN" LED is lit, display shows "1", then press), then use the arrow keys to tab over to "SENDS" and use the knobs below the screen to set levels, mute or unmute the send to the mix, etc.  In the default configuration you should now have a signal to XLR out #1.

Let me know what happens...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 09:29:45 PM »

The fastest way I've found to set up any flavor of X32 is via computer running the firmware-matching version of X32 Edit.  Things that require multiple button pokes and knob turns on the physical surface are pretty much 'point and click' in the Editor software.  For Android tablets and phones I'm a happy user of Mixing Station (free) and Mixing Station Pro (paid, and worth it) as they handle the vast majority of configuration stuff, too.

Tim:  My Android tablet finally charged-up enough to turn on... so I'm back to that, and "yes", much easier.  I'm running the (free) Mix Station but will take your advice and step-up to the Pro version.  Too-bad (I've been thinking) I can't just plug the X32 Rack USB into my PM4K and use the 4K for the control surface.

Factory default is mixes 1-6 on XLR 1-6, and L/R on XLR 7-8.  You can also soft-repatch the 1/4" TRS "AUX" outputs to other things and get 6 more outputs.

Humm…. Ok, well... months ago, about a week into the C-19 shut-down, and I got all caught-up on changing oil in vehicles, and sharpening the kitchen knives, and sorting through and clearing off piles of paper stacked on every level surface in my office and off the stairs leading up to my office etc... and dived into putting together the live rack for that X32-Rack, which includes a FOH amp and 4 channels of monitor amps, and an installed butt kicker amp, and custom patchbays, and an installed wireless router.  Initially I'd wired the 4 monitor channels and butt-kicker channel via the mixer's XLR outputs 1 thru 5 to those monitor amps, and FOH patched per the mixer XLR outputs 7 & 8 to the FOH amp.  That was 3 months ago, then I shelved the project till today.  Today:  After not getting signal through to the monitor amps and further reading and re-reading the on-line (Behinger) instructions, I concluded the aux/monitor sends should be patched into the 1/4" TRS (balanced) aux outputs... so I made new cables and did that. 

You're recommending I go back to patching mixer XLR outputs 1 thru 5 to the monitor amps?  Will do and then take it from there.

Oh yea, and:  Is there a master reset button to erase all my fumbling around and reset back to the factory default?

As to what may be stopping you from getting an output signal?  Lots of possibilities and some of my suggestions or "IIRCs" are could be based on factory default(s) or confused with stuff I've changed so with the disclaimer out of the way...  Mic plugged into input #1, use the scroll knob to select BUS 1 (the "BUS" LED is lit, display shows "1", then press).  Use the "Channel Level" knob under the SOLO and MUTE buttons to turn up the bus output (then are fully down by default) - you'll see the 'fader' on the screen move up.  Use the scroll knob to go back to Ch 1 ("IN" LED is lit, display shows "1", then press), then use the arrow keys to tab over to "SENDS" and use the knobs below the screen to set levels, mute or unmute the send to the mix, etc.  In the default configuration you should now have a signal to XLR out #1.

Let me know what happens...
I currently now have signal feeding from at least the first 8 inputs to FOH and monitor amps... just fine... and was really patting myself on my back... even took a short nap to congratulate myself... but then woke-up and realized as I was scrolling through the inputs and confirming signal function through each channel... I wasn't swapping the input to each succeeding channel I was checking... so the signal that's going to ch. 1 is currently being dutifully fed to all of at least the first 8 channels' inputs... which I guess will be fine if all our vocalists use the same mic... and "bonus"... with this configuration I'll only need to pack along & set-up one vocal mic & stand rather than the customary 4... but I don't suppose the band's vocalists will share my view-point on this.  aargh.  Glad I'm not having anybody breathing down my neck while I'm fumbling about here.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 11:09:46 PM »

There is a way to do a full and partial resets - press the SETUP button (right hand column next to screen).  Somewhere under the GLOBAL tab is a list of Reset options.  Factory Reset will take you back to the Box Opening moment - any firmware updates will go away - and you can start over.

I don't know how 'backward compatible' Mixing Station is, but I'd suggest updating the mixer firmware to 3.09-3.11.  Do the factory reset first, then upgrade the firmware.

While you're in the SETUP screen, use the arrow buttons to hit the CONFIG tab.  Look to the right side of the screen and you'll get a global bus config table.  In V4 firmware one of the choices is 6 PRE sends, 6 GROUP buses, and 6 POST sends.  I like having some group buses to insert dynamics and sometimes EQ as well... but that config gives me 4 mixes across the front, a keyboard or horn mix, and drum mix; 6 post sends for FX and maybe feeding a matrix, and my groups.  Pretty quick throw-and-go.  If I manually edit each pair of input channels I can change 2 of the POST sends to GROUPS if I don't need those post sends for anything, giving me 8 mono or 4 stereo groups, 6 pre-EQ/insert/fader sends for monitors, and 4 post fader FX sends. 

The caveat about the TRS connections - the same "digital" output value results in less output voltage than an XLR output.  Just a heads up so when it doesn't drive at the same level you don't pull out hair looking for a mistake you didn't make.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 05:59:46 AM »

Something to think about. The new Firmware 4.02 has been out for sometime now. The latest M32Edit 4.1 ( or X32 equivalent ) is out and the Mix Station / Mix Station Pro is out for the 4.02 firmware as well.  The 4.02 has many new feature like patching upgrade that allows 1 to 1 patching without blocks of 8.  A big feature to me is if you have a Stereo Bus Pair you can have Pan in the Stereo bus Follow Left/Right pan. No need to go in and pan from the Sends tab.  If your starting out and going through the learning curve with time to spare it may be worth it to do all your updates now so you can start and learn from there.  I know Mix Station Pro for 4.02 has some great new features as well. Swiping for Aux Sends on Faders comes to mind as well as Pre/Post meter pairs. I'm unsure if the older version of Mix Station / Mix Station Pro is available for the older firmware.
   One last thing the contrast for the screen in firmware 4.02 is much better for me. I am color blind and noticed it was MUCH better to see things on the screen.
   Again just something to think about but it may be worth it.

Douglas R. Allen

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 06:17:43 AM »

My Android tablet finally charged-up enough to turn on... so I'm back to that, and "yes", much easier.  I'm running the (free) Mix Station but will take your advice and step-up to the Pro version.  Too-bad (I've been thinking) I can't just plug the X32 Rack USB into my PM4K and use the 4K for the control surface.
Yes, but...  As Tim and I pointed out, X32-Edit on PC/Mac is head and shoulders the easiest way to do a thorough board configuration.  Mixing Station's great, but I pretty much always use X32-Edit for config.  I think a lot of your questions would suddenly clear up with the overview that X32-Edit gives you.  It really is the whole mixer, minus the hardware/IO/DSP exposed for you on screen - clearer than even the full-sized X32 control surface in my view.

Oh yea, and:  Is there a master reset button to erase all my fumbling around and reset back to the factory default?
Typing that must have taken longer than typing "x32 factory reset" into Google, surely...?

Something to think about. The new Firmware 4.02 has been out for sometime now. The latest M32Edit 4.1 ( or X32 equivalent ) is out and the Mix Station / Mix Station Pro is out for the 4.02 firmware as well.
You haven't mentioned what firmware you're using, but yes, you'd be daft to be using anything other than the latest firmware & apps any day, but especially when setting up for the first time.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 06:20:08 AM by Alec Spence »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 06:17:43 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.