ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexpensive multi-purpose Mixer  (Read 4617 times)

Andrien (No Last Name)

Re: Inexpensive multi-purpose Mixer
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 09:22:50 AM »

Also not a USB interface.
The later M20X seems an interesting product, and support 24x24 usb  ;D But not sure about the pricing.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »

used Yamaha 01v96i?
No graphic EQ, no USB audio interface (unless I'm remembering wrongly).
Other than the build quality and the real faders, there's not really much to love about the 01V96 in today's world.
The day I replaced mine with my XR18 was a day of joy, and the 01V96 sold for double the cost of the XR18 to me.

While everyone has recommended their own favourite lunchbox mixer to you, it's funny that the XR18 is the only one to meet all your requriements (I think), without going up the budget quite a bit.  Once you're up to speed with the networking and the software, it's a great "workshop utility" mixer, as well as a decent full-blown mixer.

One hint for you, assuming you go for it.  The normal recommendation is never to use the internal access point, and always to use an external router for gigs.  I'd normally agree with that, but for home use there is a third way.  Rather than hoiking out the router that I take to gigs, I switch my XR18 to "Wifi client" mode (the middle setting) and it connects to my home router.  That way, any tablet/laptop you use at home will not need to change access point to get to the mixer - I've had grief before with this.  So, for me, I can simply plug the mixer into the mains, turn it on and then connect straight to it from phone/tablet/laptop.  It took me a while to discover how well this mode works.  Of course, the other easy option at home if you have a cable run to your router is to use a network cable.

The X18 - a shocking amount of mixer capability at throwaway money.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 07:52:30 PM »

The X18 - a shocking amount of mixer capability at throwaway money.

It really is. I own nearly NO gear and I bought one.  Just too much functionality in one box to pass up.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2020, 10:26:32 PM »

No graphic EQ, no USB audio interface (unless I'm remembering wrongly).
Other than the build quality and the real faders, there's not really much to love about the 01V96 in today's world.
The i version of the 01V96 incorporates a 16x16 USB ASIO audio interface which also runs at 96k.

As for the lack of graphic EQ..meh, good engineers don't need them.
Justice C. Bigler
Head Audio/A1 - Blue Man Group North American Tour
www.justicebigler.com

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 11:58:50 PM »

The i version of the 01V96 incorporates a 16x16 USB ASIO audio interface which also runs at 96k.

i did not know this.  That's pretty cool.  the 01v/96 is kinda my personal pet mixer. i know more about it than any other i think. but i didn't know that the new one had the USB interface.

now i want to go find a used one....  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2020, 04:33:48 AM »

I owned a MR18 (Midas version). Sounds ok, sold it after a while to a guy doing corporate shows on in-house gear. He uses it as automixer for talking heads when the in-house desk doesn't have that functionality. Definitely a feature worth owning at the price point.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2020, 08:03:28 AM »

Thanks all, I just have to see whether the XR18 or the X18 form factor would be better for me.
The key functional difference is that the X18's 8 outputs are 2 x XLR, 6 x TRS whereas the XR18 has all 8 on XLR.  I far prefer the latter, but your needs might differ.

Design-wise, the X18 was designed to fit an iPad on top.  However, just like the stupid phone tray on the X32, it won't fit many/most contemporary tablets.  Also, there's no enhanced connectivity in that tray, like a dock connector, it's just a tray.

Once the XR18 was released, love for the X18 seemed to drop significantly.  For a while, if not still, the X18s were sold at quite a discount.  To me, the form factor best suits use as an attended mixer with the tablet living in the tray, whereas the XR18 feels more like you'd just throw it wherever you want, and then remote mix from your chosen device.  Also, for me, all XLR in/out is the winner.

XR18 vs MR18?  Up to you whether you want to pay more for a small sount quality increase and better quality connectors.  However, at this level, there's nothing wrong with the XR18.  And those combo connectors do make for an easy life.  Out and about I'd always use a DI, but, at home, it's great to be able to plug in either.

Ah, fair enough, mine was only the 01V96v2.  That said, though, the i version adds a premium to the cost, even used, and the OP wanted cost.

I prefer not to use graphics, too.  However,  it was what the OP wanted.

The 01v/96 is kinda my personal pet mixer. i know more about it than any other i think.
My old 01v96 was always a love-hate relationship.  For basic use, OK.  But no scribble strips, so had to keep track of where you were.  No recallable gains.  No tablet remote control without spending more.  No affordable remote stagebox solution.  Inflexible routing - drove me potty that you couldn't run monitors pre-dynamics.  And so much menu diving.

Of its time, it was revolutionary.  But the newer generation of mixers beat it hands down on just about every front.

And mine was a big heavy lump in its flightcase.  Its replacement is a featherweight and does *so* much more at a fraction of the price.

Which, back to the OP, fits all of his requirements.

[and doesn't this thread really belong in the lounge?]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:06:07 AM by Alec Spence »

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 08:43:22 AM »

Hi Andy,

I own and use the Mackie DL16S and Midas MR18.
I far prefer the Mackie app over the Midas  ~  the Midas usually goes out as a backup to the Mackie.
    On the outputs the Mackie has GEQ and PEQ at the same time.
With the Midas you have to choose one or the other.
    Mackie has output delay, crossovers on outputs, Midas doesn't.
Midas has more effects options.
    Both are good, take a look and see what features are more important to you.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 08:43:22 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.