ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Audio From PA to PC for Live Streaming  (Read 3795 times)

Bill Collins

• Bill Collins
Wireless Audio From PA to PC for Live Streaming
« on: June 03, 2020, 03:00:00 PM »

Hi all. We're looking forward to live streaming from the sanctuary again soon. We never did much video before COVID, but we anticipate the video option being a thing from now on. So we want to convert the slap-together streaming gear we set up at first into something permanent that integrates unobtrusively with in-person worship.

We have most of the streaming components figured out, but I am specifically looking for recommendations to bring the house PA system audio feed into the streaming setup without running a cable. We have an XR16 which has served us well (smaller set up, no praise band). We will now have an AV workstation and cameras near the back of the sanctuary, but the PA system cabinet is at the front. The whole point of the XR16 of course, was to allow wireless sound mixing.

So I've shopped around a bit for wireless XLR adapters to use an AUX out, and then adapt that to USB on the other end for the streaming PC. There seem to be many options, but I don't know what's good and bad about most options other than price.

I also thought about using the XR16 headphone jack with a wireless guitar adapter. No reason that shouldn't work. But I thought I'd ask what you all might recommend.

Thanks, Bill

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 07:08:42 PM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Wireless Audio From PA to PC for Live Streaming
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 08:28:19 PM »

How far away is the mixer from the video streaming equipment?

TomBoisseau

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 10:14:38 PM »

Unless there is some extenuating circumstances that require it, I think it very unwise to do this via wireless.  Copper is SO much more reliable!

Tom

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 06:50:26 PM »

How many channels do you need?
A Senn IEM transmitter can be received by a Senn Microphone receiver for a single channel. If you use an IEM belt pack receiver, you get 2 channels but you need a power source or you will be going through batteries.
For my Shure rig I have the 9v power supply for my ULX belt pack transmitter I sometimes use as a wall penetrator.

I use the Senn solution with paddles for remote speakers several hundred feet away.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 07:55:26 PM »

Unless there is some extenuating circumstances that require it, I think it very unwise to do this via wireless.  Copper is SO much more reliable!

Tom

Agreed.  $25 in cable will outperform anything wireless.  And be at least 50x lower cost.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 01:56:55 PM »

Agreed.  $25 in cable will outperform anything wireless.  And be at least 50x lower cost.

Dante Virtual Sound Card or Via on the streaming PC and a Dante AVIO dongle could do this very simply and reliably, assuming you have network connectivity at your rack location. Cost should be under $200. The only 'additional cabling' would be a network patch cable at your mixer for the AVIO.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 03:02:40 PM »

Agreed.  Wireless is usually for things that move.  If low noise, reliability, and fidelity are important then a wireless setup is going to run at least $1000.  Easily 2x more.

In addition to wireless setups mentioned above there are ENG oriented setups too like the sennheiser tx units that plug into a mic and their associated rx units with xlr output.  Figuring out wall power is important. 

Neutrik Xirium is a high quality low latency wireless transmission system.

Bill Collins

• Bill Collins
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 08:23:11 AM »

Thanks for all the tips. I agree in principle, cable is preferred to wireless, but the cable run would be very problematic, from the choir loft at the front to the back of the sanctuary. It's a big, traditional church and routing to the side and around would be a VERY long run.

I only need one channel and this audio feed is only for streaming. Not to say quality doesn't matter, but it's going straight to YouTube.

The Dante dongle is one option I hadn't already seen. Thanks. We do have network connectivity. It could use upgrading as well, but it's there.

Dante Virtual Sound Card or Via on the streaming PC and a Dante AVIO dongle could do this very simply and reliably, assuming you have network connectivity at your rack location. Cost should be under $200. The only 'additional cabling' would be a network patch cable at your mixer for the AVIO.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 02:30:35 PM »

Thanks for all the tips. I agree in principle, cable is preferred to wireless, but the cable run would be very problematic, from the choir loft at the front to the back of the sanctuary. It's a big, traditional church and routing to the side and around would be a VERY long run.

I only need one channel and this audio feed is only for streaming. Not to say quality doesn't matter, but it's going straight to YouTube.

The Dante dongle is one option I hadn't already seen. Thanks. We do have network connectivity. It could use upgrading as well, but it's there.

A 1000 foot box of belden 8451 is like 200 bucks. A 500 foot box is about 100. How far does this line need to go? A balanced XLR cable's signal won't degrade significantly over this distance. You would have to run a mile or to begin to hear anything, and even then it's slight.

And really you only need 1 line run back to the computer. Don't worry about stereo. Just run an aux out of the XR16 around the room and back to your PC. Plug it in via a cheap interface (focusrite solo, etc) and enjoy clean worry-free rock solid audio for streaming.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 02:30:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.