Church and H.O.W. Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

iPad to XR16

(1/2) > >>

Curtis McGill:
We are doing outdoor services with an XR16 and it is being run from my iPad. We are using the signal from the XR16 and it drops multiple times. What do I need, router/WAP, to give me a secure connection? I did some reading on the forums and the more I read the more confused I became: WAP, router, internet, no internet, etc.

Thank you in advance!
curtis

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Curtis McGill on June 02, 2020, 05:13:09 pm ---We are doing outdoor services with an XR16 and it is being run from my iPad. We are using the signal from the XR16 and it drops multiple times. What do I need, router/WAP, to give me a secure connection? I did some reading on the forums and the more I read the more confused I became: WAP, router, internet, no internet, etc.

Thank you in advance!
curtis

--- End quote ---

Any router like you would use at home for your wifi. Plug that in, flip the switch on the XR and you'll be fine. The XR's built in wifi is unusable.

If you have a large crowd (more than 600-800 people) you'll probably want to upgrade to a commercial type wireless AP, but don't sweat it until you get big crowds. For 200-300 people the regular old Linksys Router from walmart will do. It helps a lot to make it hidden and add a password to join. It keeps people's phones from connecting automatically.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Curtis McGill on June 02, 2020, 05:13:09 pm ---We are doing outdoor services with an XR16 and it is being run from my iPad. We are using the signal from the XR16 and it drops multiple times. What do I need, router/WAP, to give me a secure connection? I did some reading on the forums and the more I read the more confused I became: WAP, router, internet, no internet, etc.

Thank you in advance!
curtis

--- End quote ---


There is a guide in the sticky posts for network for audio professions.


The WAP built into the XR is wholly deficient.  Yes you need an external WAP.  Since the XR has a DHCP server you can use any WAP you like.  Ubiquity stuff is well regarded.


Make sure you don't broadcast the SID, it will make every device beacon the AP.


Use only 5Ghz, scan the band and choose the quietest channel.  Choose the lowest throughput, higher bandwidth means smaller signals, lower bandwidth = higher S/N ration.   



Brian Jojade:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on June 02, 2020, 05:27:30 pm ---
Use only 5Ghz, scan the band and choose the quietest channel.  Choose the lowest throughput, higher bandwidth means smaller signals, lower bandwidth = higher S/N ration.

--- End quote ---

The concern with using only 5ghz is that you will have reduced range.  With 2.4ghz, you can expect a maximum reliable operation at up to 150 feet from a base station in a good environment. Walls and other solid objects typically can pass signal through, although that can reduce range somewhat.

With 5ghz, expect about 50 feet. And solid objects - or human waterbags between your device and the base station can kill the signal.  So placement of the access point becomes more of a concern.  Don't expect to have a 5ghz basestation tucked into a rack somewhere on stage and expect reliable operation from FOH.  If you can get the antenna up and  above the crowd, it may work out towards FOH, but in anywhere but the smallest venues, you're nearing the reaches of reliable range.

Typically what I'll do is have at least 2 access points.  One on stage, and one at FOH.  These will create WIFI bubbles around each which gives more reliable operation. Having the same SSID and password means the connected device can pick whichever access point can provide the best signal and work throughout the space.

The connection to the basestations (WAP) is through a hardwired connection, then connected to the LAN for all of the networked devices.  Yes, you can create wireless mesh networks, but that brings in a whole different level of confusion in configuration, latency, etc.  Wired is much more reliable, whenever possible.

Tim Weaver:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on June 02, 2020, 07:08:28 pm ---The concern with using only 5ghz is that you will have reduced range.  With 2.4ghz, you can expect a maximum reliable operation at up to 150 feet from a base station in a good environment. Walls and other solid objects typically can pass signal through, although that can reduce range somewhat.

With 5ghz, expect about 50 feet. And solid objects - or human waterbags between your device and the base station can kill the signal.  So placement of the access point becomes more of a concern.  Don't expect to have a 5ghz basestation tucked into a rack somewhere on stage and expect reliable operation from FOH.  If you can get the antenna up and  above the crowd, it may work out towards FOH, but in anywhere but the smallest venues, you're nearing the reaches of reliable range.

Typically what I'll do is have at least 2 access points.  One on stage, and one at FOH.  These will create WIFI bubbles around each which gives more reliable operation. Having the same SSID and password means the connected device can pick whichever access point can provide the best signal and work throughout the space.

The connection to the basestations (WAP) is through a hardwired connection, then connected to the LAN for all of the networked devices.  Yes, you can create wireless mesh networks, but that brings in a whole different level of

confusion in configuration, latency, etc.  Wired is much more reliable, whenever possible.

--- End quote ---


Yeah I prefer to have both 2.4g and 5g running. Often I'll connect a device to each radio. Tablet on 5Ghz, PC on 2.4Ghz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version