Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: G.A.S.  (Read 4115 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Re: G.A.S.
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2020, 07:06:44 pm »

Yeah, it's a lousy time to be trying to sell something.  I've been keeping an eye on the local buy/sell listings, but nothing has jumped out at me.  Luckily, everything I have is paid for, and I have some cash in the bank to cover overhead (mostly just rent and phone).  I do a little bit of service work, but every gig I had booked between March and July has been canceled.  There are usually a couple open air church services in August, and I'm hoping things will be relaxed enough for those to happen this year.

Oddly enough, the only console I've used lately has been an old 01V96, for my own church's streamed services.  It's the right size to put in the back of the car with the few other things I need to do that, and has all the processing I need.  I don't normally get involved in the weekly church services, but this was out of the regulars' comfort zone (and they're all 70+ year old, high risk men) and what else am I going to do?  ;)  It's been a while since I worked late on a Saturday night.

My other "interest" is photography, and I have seen a few more pro items for sale than usual.  It could be that the wedding photogs are taking a hit too.  My sense is that fine art is also suffering because the people that would normally be spending money on that sort of thing are being cautious, even if they still have lots of dough.

GTD

I like using AirFader with my 2003 , O1v96. When I'm in the back of the room it works well for going up to the stage and adjusting monitors or walking the room etc.  For this setup I have an "OLD" Dell running the server and a $20 router out to a bunch of $50 RCA android tablets and it works surprising well. Breathed some new like in it. Other than of course remote preamp gain the Send pages are miles above StudioManager with a Sends on Fader , fader banks.  Expensive for an app but well worth it.

https://www.airfader.com/

Douglas R. Allen

Rick Powell

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2020, 11:03:33 pm »

A local sound co is selling a pair of used Danley subs and an amp to go with.  I can't make out the model, but the ad says 2x15" in each box.
Likely a TH215, now discontinued. Its got the Danley pedigree but a little unwieldy weight and size, and the TH118 basically does the same thing in a smaller package.

John Schalk

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2020, 11:28:15 am »

I started selling off my unused audio gear in 2018.  This was stuff that I was sure I wouldn't use anymore (can I have one of those 8 channel sub-snakes back please!)  I feel that my #1 lesson learned was that, for the most part, a piece of sound equipment is a depreciating asset so you should sell it as soon as you determine that it isn't needed anymore.  Since ads on FB and Craiglist are free, my advice is to go ahead and list any items you want to sell now despite the economic current climate, rather than waiting.

You may have to deal with some low ballers, but that kind of goes with the territory.  I am most annoyed by the "buyer" who opens the negotiations by asking "what is your best price?"  Ugh.  I work pretty hard to research the fair market value for the used gear that I sell.  I respond to those clowns with, "make me an offer."  They usually just go away.  Weird. 

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2020, 12:04:56 pm »

I bought the Arturia softsynth collection to play with. Got it setup and tried a bunch of different modules. Not bad but not nearly as good as a real hardware synth.

Shortly afterwards, I got called back to work and now the golf courses are open so it doesn't look like it'll be getting much use.

Agree - I briefly owned a Prophet 5 and nothing comes close in software; same with my Farfisa. UVI has a fairly good emulation of the Ensoniq ESQ-1, but when I A/B it to the ESQ-M rack mount I still own and use, doesn't compare.

That being said, having all those virtual instruments up and ready to go without noise or pitch drift and with MIDI is a compromise. I don't see myself getting another Prophet 5 anytime soon, nor buying a B3, Jupiter 8, Rhodes or Wurlitzer. Mapping controls to knobs/faders on the controller has definitely helped - grabbing the filter and resonance knobs makes them more playable.

As for the Farfisa sitting in my closet, when it works there's nothing better for wheezy cheesy organ sounds, but it takes a lot of space. Will be seeing this weekend if it will fit on a 2-tier stand without its own "stand," which feels like it will fall over if you look at it funny.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2020, 08:36:11 pm »

I bought a new dirt bike in April & all new yard equipment (commercial grade weed eater, blower, ZTR mower) in May - cleared about $9500 of burdensome cash out of the bankers clutches.

Got my $1200 stimulus deposit on Wed and "Stimulated" the economy on Friday with a new Kawasaki.  It was a civic responsibility, perfect timing - mine was the only vehicle out in the parking lot.

G.A.S. is by no means limited to audio & lighting gear.

I haven't been 100% irresponsible - bought a dozen monitors that will deliver this month from another contractor - struck the deal before it hit the fan and we are both honoring the agreement.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 08:42:34 pm by Steve-White »

James Paul

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2020, 10:15:56 pm »

A BlackMagicDesigns Atem Mini Pro has been my G.A.S. recent addition.
Adapt, improvise, overcome with additional tools, skills, and applications is the thought process.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2020, 10:23:31 pm »

A BlackMagicDesigns Atem Mini Pro has been my G.A.S. recent addition.
Adapt, improvise, overcome with additional tools, skills, and applications is the thought process.
Mine's still on back order, but I got 2 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema cameras.
I figured streaming video is another service to be provided.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.

Frank Koenig

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2020, 11:26:13 pm »

I bought a new dirt bike in April

Other than building a 6 channel drop snake with a really tiny stage box for use down-stage which I hope to live long enough to actually get to use, out of crap that I had lying around, I, too, acquired a dirt bike, of sorts. It's a Sur Ron Light Bee which is motivated by a ~7.5 kW electric motor supplied by a 2 kWh battery. It weighs 110 lbs. It has roughly the performance of a Honda 90 (4-stroke) but with a lot of low-end oomph that is instantly available (no gears to shift, rear brake where the clutch lever would go). The practical range is about 30 mi. and I charge it off the van while driving. I won't win any hill climbs but it is an absolute blast to ride, and I can pick it up when it falls over without busting a gut.

The only minus so far, for my use, is that the ride is very rough on rocky, washboardy desert roads that a larger bike just floats over. Better forks, which are available, may help. I love the absence of the stink, noise, starting problems and spilling fluids of its predecessors. Sorry for the lousy picture in a nice place.

--Frank

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:32:21 pm by Frank Koenig »
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2020, 04:22:12 am »

Other than building a 6 channel drop snake with a really tiny stage box for use down-stage which I hope to live long enough to actually get to use, out of crap that I had lying around, I, too, acquired a dirt bike, of sorts. It's a Sur Ron Light Bee which is motivated by a ~7.5 kW electric motor supplied by a 2 kWh battery. It weighs 110 lbs. It has roughly the performance of a Honda 90 (4-stroke) but with a lot of low-end oomph that is instantly available (no gears to shift, rear brake where the clutch lever would go). The practical range is about 30 mi. and I charge it off the van while driving. I won't win any hill climbs but it is an absolute blast to ride, and I can pick it up when it falls over without busting a gut.

The only minus so far, for my use, is that the ride is very rough on rocky, washboardy desert roads that a larger bike just floats over. Better forks, which are available, may help. I love the absence of the stink, noise, starting problems and spilling fluids of its predecessors. Sorry for the lousy picture in a nice place.

--Frank

That is super slick, I have been eyeing an eBike.  Did you get the luna drive option?  Of all the specs I read I can't find weight capacity.  I am about 40 below when we met at 280 right now.  Still a lot of ass.  Do you think it can handle it?  Our shop is downtown and parking is a bitch.  This would be super handy and could be stashed backstage at most venues.

or use down-stage which I hope to live long enough to actually get to use,
  Truer words never spoken.  It's the first of the month and my wife looked on as I covered the expenses for the idled production company.   I am robbing from our sure future for a future that might never happen now.  Damn, how did we go from fun toys to depressing in one post?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2020, 06:19:05 am »

Damn, how did we go from fun toys to depressing in one post?

Because these are depressing times.

It's normal to feel bad for being unproductive: society generally demands productivity, and falling short of that makes us feel bad. It's pretty ingrained.

However, these are not normal times. At the moment, my calendar has two events on it, both towards the end of the year. There isn't much work I can be doing at the moment, and it's important to recognise that in the fight against depression.

So, I've been doing other things. Some of them to better myself (reading and exercise), a few business things where I can (like buying/fixing/selling microphones - see my post in the Marketplace), and others just to fill time (video games).

Soon, I'll have some woodworking projects on the go: a 2x18" flat-to-30Hz subwoofer, and a new set of stage monitors. The stage monitors need designing, and there'll be a wait on the wood, but I have time and patience.

Things will come back around.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2020, 06:19:05 am »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.