ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: G.A.S.  (Read 15131 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: G.A.S.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 12:31:57 AM »

Gear acquisition syndrome....

We all have it....in varying degrees....

I'm always on the lookout for things to add to my rig(s)....things to make tech'ing easier, more efficient, back up gear, etc.

This past week (as Massachusetts and neighboring states' shut downs continue) I've started to see more and more sound gear appear on Craigslist/Facebook.
(I actually sold some gear too....)

Has anyone found/purchased anything (gear-wise) "amid the ashes" of the pandemic...?

Nope but I missed working with you i early May this year. 😕
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kevin Graf

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 08:19:37 AM »

at first I thought you meant Great American Sound (GAS), and the James Bongiorno's Ampzilla power amplifier.
Speedskater

Jay Marr

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 08:53:07 AM »

The day after I post that I'm not seeing much for sale, I get a call from a friend, and a buddy of his is closing his sound company.
COVID has created the tipping point to push him to retire.
Waiting for a list of gear for sale.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2020, 11:05:04 AM »

The day after I post that I'm not seeing much for sale, I get a call from a friend, and a buddy of his is closing his sound company.
COVID has created the tipping point to push him to retire.
Waiting for a list of gear for sale.

Oh, the wave of gear selloffs is coming. And it makes me sad...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 11:20:11 AM »

Oh, the wave of gear selloffs is coming. And it makes me sad...

My personal gear liquidation will probably be next month.  After much consideration it's unlikely that the industry will rebound sufficiently before my retirement, to justify what I have invested in my gear so it's time to say goodbye to some most of it.

One of our friendly competitors put it this way in 2008 - "the good news is that everything I want to buy is on sale, the bad news is I have no money coming in to buy it with."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Garris

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 12:29:40 PM »

One of our friendly competitors put it this way in 2008 - "the good news is that everything I want to buy is on sale, the bad news is I have no money coming in to buy it with."

This is my dilemma too. I want to sell about half my stuff, as I don't see my business ever coming back. Who is going to buy it?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 12:38:29 PM »

Well, I wouldn't be making any large purchases, but if you come across any mics that aren't working properly/at all, I'd be happy to buy them off you.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 01:17:37 PM »

My personal gear liquidation will probably be next month.  After much consideration it's unlikely that the industry will rebound sufficiently before my retirement, to justify what I have invested in my gear so it's time to say goodbye to some most of it.

Of course the best thing with PA gear is a year from now you can throw the switch and most if not all of it will come back on.  The other day I plugged everything I had in just to power cycle it. Even my old 2003 Yamaha 01v96 came back on with the same original battery still saying "Yes I'm fine".  I'm letting everything sit for now. I'm thinking this would be the worst time to try and sell anything. If things open up in 6 months to a year from now you can always power back up or sell in a more friendly sales environment. Sound production may come back hard with it being down for so long. People may be wanting used gear to do all the extra work.  Kind of like stocks. Its knowing when to hold on or let go.  Besides I'm pretty sure there is a Law somewhere that says you can't retire...  ;)

Douglas R. Allen

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2020, 02:28:00 PM »

Of course the best thing with PA gear is a year from now you can throw the switch and most if not all of it will come back on.  The other day I plugged everything I had in just to power cycle it. Even my old 2003 Yamaha 01v96 came back on with the same original battery still saying "Yes I'm fine".  I'm letting everything sit for now. I'm thinking this would be the worst time to try and sell anything. If things open up in 6 months to a year from now you can always power back up or sell in a more friendly sales environment. Sound production may come back hard with it being down for so long. People may be wanting used gear to do all the extra work.  Kind of like stocks. Its knowing when to hold on or let go.  Besides I'm pretty sure there is a Law somewhere that says you can't retire...  ;)

Douglas R. Allen

Some things I'll keep into retirement but I made a couple of purchases in December that were prudent at the time but now are unlikely to pay for themselves either in satisfaction or cash, so they'll be the first to go while they still have value.

Stuff to keep will be measurement/Smaart rig (I'm updating it, in fact), a few of my mics, and probably some mixing.  Like you I still have an original 01v that fires up happy.  Not the greatest desk these days but for something built 16 or 17 years ago and still working, it's earned its spot in inventory... plus it was my 'gateway drug' into the world digital mixing.  8)

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 04:40:02 PM »

I am in the paradigm world I guess? I had stuff that I posted for sale prior to the COVID that didn't sell and I have since took it off the listings. Mainly because someone sent a silly offer that pissed me off. I am actually buying stuff to change the business model and career path. I believe I will always be doing sound, but I figure I may as well get into building guitar amplifiers, pickups, and custom guitar parts while I still have money. I haven't worked in two months and the vacation is getting old. Figure it is as good a time as any to start using my other skills as a new form of income. So yeah, I have been buying tools and gear to move in new directions. I have not yet decided to take advantage of the misfortune of others who are not as lucky as I am. I can't imagine it to be easy selling off equipment that can't be put to work.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2020, 04:40:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.