Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: G.A.S.  (Read 3975 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
G.A.S.
« on: May 29, 2020, 07:01:18 am »

Gear acquisition syndrome....

We all have it....in varying degrees....

I'm always on the lookout for things to add to my rig(s)....things to make tech'ing easier, more efficient, back up gear, etc.

This past week (as Massachusetts and neighboring states' shut downs continue) I've started to see more and more sound gear appear on Craigslist/Facebook.
(I actually sold some gear too....)

Has anyone found/purchased anything (gear-wise) "amid the ashes" of the pandemic...?

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: G.A.S.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 08:09:48 am »

Mostly faulty microphones. I can get most things up and running again, so if I find something cheap with decent resale value I'll snap it up, fix it and wait for the market to come back around. Sometimes the mic is useful to me and it'll get used for a while, but most of the time I sell them along.

AKG D12s (and variants) a speciality at the moment.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Jay Marr

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 09:00:46 am »

Gear acquisition syndrome....

We all have it....in varying degrees....

I'm always on the lookout for things to add to my rig(s)....things to make tech'ing easier, more efficient, back up gear, etc.

This past week (as Massachusetts and neighboring states' shut downs continue) I've started to see more and more sound gear appear on Craigslist/Facebook.
(I actually sold some gear too....)

Has anyone found/purchased anything (gear-wise) "amid the ashes" of the pandemic...?

I was expecting to see more gear for sale actually, but haven't.  I'm in Massachusetts as well.
Close friend of mine who buys/sells guitars and amps more than any human I've ever met has told me that selling guitars/amps right now has been better than ever.  He has experienced that demand is way up (I hypothesise it's because people are feeling isolated and want to pick up a new hobby).

Anyway, I have not found much music equipment to find (at better than 2019 prices).

Fitness equipment is another story!  I dare you to find some weights for sale that are not a minimum of 2x the normal (2019) price.
My god, the price gauging is insane.  I got insanely lucky one day (because I check every hour) and was able to buy a squat rack/cage on Amazon for $275.  It must have a been a return or cancelled order, because it just showed up one minute, and there were no more left after I purchased.
That same rack is still for sale on Amazon - but now the only option is for $2,999.00
Just awful.

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 10:32:37 am »

I, too was expecting to see more gear.  I'm looking for a specific bass guitar cab (Bergantino), and still looking.
I did get a video camera at about 40% off in mid-March, but not seeing much on the MI side.
Maybe there will be a gear glut after more weeks pass by.
Colorado Springs, CO

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 11:03:33 am »

I expect there will be.

I've been tempted to sell everything off, but have since realised that it's the perfect time for me to build a load of new cabinets - lovely weather and no gigs to interrupt. Planning a rather nice 2x18" with some of the latest high-end drivers - the simulations are very impressive, with similar output to four of my (already decent) 15" cabs, while running flat down to 30Hz where the 15"s were flat to 40Hz.

I'm also going to put together a new set of stage monitors - just the cabinets for now, and will install drivers when cashflow isn't basically zero.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 02:02:26 pm »

oops - sorry wrong thread....
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 02:05:10 pm by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 09:17:12 pm »

I can't say that I'm looking for any major purchases right now in the $10K+ category.  I'm not usually an impulse buyer especially when talking significant business expenses, but I have a few things on the radar with the hope to get lucky sooner that later.
  • Two more Yorkville UCS1B subwoofers (discussed many times elsewhere - firm on wanting these).

• Decent/unique additions to my pre-LED era collection of disco/effects lights.

• A working mobility scooter - don't want that to sound morbid or anything...  Must be the two-wheel drive version such as a Hoveround or Jazzy Chair.
We'll see what turns up!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 07:58:27 pm »

I have not been looking hard but I would love to find a lighting desk with pallets and good busk ability for low dollars. Only needs 1 or 2 universes. Other than that, I am pretty much ok with my audio rigs,
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 10:55:23 pm »

I have not been looking hard but I would love to find a lighting desk with pallets and good busk ability for low dollars. Only needs 1 or 2 universes. Other than that, I am pretty much ok with my audio rigs,

Hi Rob, I'm not sure if you've been following this thread but there's some good discussion in there.  Palettes, busking, and low dollar generally don't all come in the same sentence with good results, but there are options out there.  Hope this helps and good luck with your search!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 12:30:11 am »

Hi Rob, I'm not sure if you've been following this thread but there's some good discussion in there.  Palettes, busking, and low dollar generally don't all come in the same sentence with good results, but there are options out there.  Hope this helps and good luck with your search!
I get it... but I can wish 😁
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 12:30:11 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.