ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPad to XR16  (Read 2473 times)

Curtis McGill

iPad to XR16
« on: June 02, 2020, 05:13:09 PM »

We are doing outdoor services with an XR16 and it is being run from my iPad. We are using the signal from the XR16 and it drops multiple times. What do I need, router/WAP, to give me a secure connection? I did some reading on the forums and the more I read the more confused I became: WAP, router, internet, no internet, etc.

Thank you in advance!
curtis

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: iPad to XR16
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 05:25:18 PM »

We are doing outdoor services with an XR16 and it is being run from my iPad. We are using the signal from the XR16 and it drops multiple times. What do I need, router/WAP, to give me a secure connection? I did some reading on the forums and the more I read the more confused I became: WAP, router, internet, no internet, etc.

Thank you in advance!
curtis

Any router like you would use at home for your wifi. Plug that in, flip the switch on the XR and you'll be fine. The XR's built in wifi is unusable.

If you have a large crowd (more than 600-800 people) you'll probably want to upgrade to a commercial type wireless AP, but don't sweat it until you get big crowds. For 200-300 people the regular old Linksys Router from walmart will do. It helps a lot to make it hidden and add a password to join. It keeps people's phones from connecting automatically.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 05:27:30 PM »

Thank you in advance!
curtis

There is a guide in the sticky posts for network for audio professions.

The WAP built into the XR is wholly deficient.  Yes you need an external WAP.  Since the XR has a DHCP server you can use any WAP you like.  Ubiquity stuff is well regarded.

Make sure you don't broadcast the SID, it will make every device beacon the AP.

Use only 5Ghz, scan the band and choose the quietest channel.  Choose the lowest throughput, higher bandwidth means smaller signals, lower bandwidth = higher S/N ration.   

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 07:08:28 PM »

Use only 5Ghz, scan the band and choose the quietest channel.  Choose the lowest throughput, higher bandwidth means smaller signals, lower bandwidth = higher S/N ration.

The concern with using only 5ghz is that you will have reduced range.  With 2.4ghz, you can expect a maximum reliable operation at up to 150 feet from a base station in a good environment. Walls and other solid objects typically can pass signal through, although that can reduce range somewhat.

With 5ghz, expect about 50 feet. And solid objects - or human waterbags between your device and the base station can kill the signal.  So placement of the access point becomes more of a concern.  Don't expect to have a 5ghz basestation tucked into a rack somewhere on stage and expect reliable operation from FOH.  If you can get the antenna up and  above the crowd, it may work out towards FOH, but in anywhere but the smallest venues, you're nearing the reaches of reliable range.

Typically what I'll do is have at least 2 access points.  One on stage, and one at FOH.  These will create WIFI bubbles around each which gives more reliable operation. Having the same SSID and password means the connected device can pick whichever access point can provide the best signal and work throughout the space.

The connection to the basestations (WAP) is through a hardwired connection, then connected to the LAN for all of the networked devices.  Yes, you can create wireless mesh networks, but that brings in a whole different level of confusion in configuration, latency, etc.  Wired is much more reliable, whenever possible.
Brian Jojade

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 08:19:14 PM »

The concern with using only 5ghz is that you will have reduced range.  With 2.4ghz, you can expect a maximum reliable operation at up to 150 feet from a base station in a good environment. Walls and other solid objects typically can pass signal through, although that can reduce range somewhat.

With 5ghz, expect about 50 feet. And solid objects - or human waterbags between your device and the base station can kill the signal.  So placement of the access point becomes more of a concern.  Don't expect to have a 5ghz basestation tucked into a rack somewhere on stage and expect reliable operation from FOH.  If you can get the antenna up and  above the crowd, it may work out towards FOH, but in anywhere but the smallest venues, you're nearing the reaches of reliable range.

Typically what I'll do is have at least 2 access points.  One on stage, and one at FOH.  These will create WIFI bubbles around each which gives more reliable operation. Having the same SSID and password means the connected device can pick whichever access point can provide the best signal and work throughout the space.

The connection to the basestations (WAP) is through a hardwired connection, then connected to the LAN for all of the networked devices.  Yes, you can create wireless mesh networks, but that brings in a whole different level of

confusion in configuration, latency, etc.  Wired is much more reliable, whenever possible.

Yeah I prefer to have both 2.4g and 5g running. Often I'll connect a device to each radio. Tablet on 5Ghz, PC on 2.4Ghz.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 02:31:39 AM »

The connection to the basestations (WAP) is through a hardwired connection, then connected to the LAN for all of the networked devices.  Yes, you can create wireless mesh networks, but that brings in a whole different level of confusion in configuration, latency, etc.  Wired is much more reliable, whenever possible.

How is the handoff times with the AP's?  It's ok on the Ubiquity but i would be scared to do that live.  I will admit I hate tablet mixing under most circumstances.

I forgot to mention get the AP up high.  Both 2.4 and 5 are line of site.  If you can't see it the tablet can't talk to it.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 03:06:24 AM »

I use only 5ghz.... 2.4 becomes problematic as more and more iPhones enter the building! I use a Ubiquiti Mesh to extend the range of my Airport Express and get a lot more than 50ft.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 03:25:56 AM »

Any router like you would use at home for your wifi. Plug that in, flip the switch on the XR and you'll be fine. The XR's built in wifi is unusable.

Yes. Just about any external router is preferable to the built in one.  Some people will suggest that it needs to be 5GHz, but i used to use my old Sky TV Broadband router running at 2.4GHz.  I did many all day events and never had a drop out.

Steve.

JohnPinchin

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 05:57:48 AM »

To speed up set up time I gave up on scanning channels and worrying about 2.4 vs 5GHz range and switched to an orbii mesh type  set up.    I plug it in and in big venues add an extender plug and I'm good to go with it automatically doing the wifi stuff.

For smaller rooms I'd be happy with most 5GHz boxes that should just work without having to do much in the way of set up at a gig. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 05:57:48 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 23 queries.