ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: XR18 issue  (Read 1628 times)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: XR18 issue
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 01:15:02 pm »

My thanks to everyone for the responses. I am just going to admit defeat and find someone younger and smarter locally to help me with this. I'm good with analog stuff, and not afraid of audio- and lighting-related software, but I am totally out of my comfort zone when it comes to networking or anything under the hood.
The requirement to have at least a rudimentary understanding of networking for lunchbox mixers makes them a breeze for some people and a nightmare for others.

I'd agee with others that it'd be worth turning off the WiFi on your laptop, to be sure.

And, though you want to avoid additional kit, a cheap router sitting in the middle of this would make the configuration much easier to interpret and debug.

My last point - you sure you haven't plugged into the Ultranet port by mistake?  I did this while setting up for a gig once.  I finally twigged after I'd power cycled the router, swapped network cables, power cycled the tablet I was using.  I felt a complete dick when I realised!  As I never use Ultranet, a bit of tape over that socket saves me from making that mistake again.

Kemper Watson

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 02:14:02 pm »

My thanks to everyone for the responses. I am just going to admit defeat and find someone younger and smarter locally to help me with this. I'm good with analog stuff, and not afraid of audio- and lighting-related software, but I am totally out of my comfort zone when it comes to networking or anything under the hood.

Getting old is a great life-goal, but the side-effects can suck.

I have a network guy that can fix things remotely . He's a lifesaver. Always answers and knows my rig

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 05:45:21 pm »

You never answered our questions about whether or not you'd set a static IP for both units. I'm assuming you haven't, and that they're operating on automatic IP addresses, which isn't going to be reliable. You either need to put these on something with a DHCP server, like a typical home router, or assign static IP addresses if you'd like to use them without any extra equipment.

I think the lack of stable IP addresses is the direct cause of your problem, and I don't see any indication that you've taken any steps to resolve it.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Riley Casey

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 07:05:50 pm »

Down load an IP sniffing app ( IP Scanner is a Mac version ) and see if the app finds the Behringer.

duane massey

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2020, 11:27:58 pm »

You never answered our questions about whether or not you'd set a static IP for both units. I'm assuming you haven't, and that they're operating on automatic IP addresses, which isn't going to be reliable. You either need to put these on something with a DHCP server, like a typical home router, or assign static IP addresses if you'd like to use them without any extra equipment.

I think the lack of stable IP addresses is the direct cause of your problem, and I don't see any indication that you've taken any steps to resolve it.
Tried to do it, obviously did it wrong, as nothing would work. I am willing to accept the fact that I just don't know enough to fix the problem, so I will call on my circle of frineds here in Houston and find someone with better computer skills. I really appreciate the advice.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

duane massey

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2020, 09:57:46 am »

Hopefully this is my final update: Dug out a Netgear router from my pile of stuff. Hooked it up between the laptop and the mixer. It has been working flawlessly for 16 hours.

Thanks again for EVERYBODY who posted here. I learned (once again) how little I know about modern tech, but at least (hopefully) I can use my 12-month old new toy!
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Andrew Hollis

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2020, 10:27:59 am »

Hopefully this is my final update: Dug out a Netgear router from my pile of stuff. Hooked it up between the laptop and the mixer. It has been working flawlessly for 16 hours.

This suggests that the original issue was simply an IP config issue that could be easily resolved.

Perhaps the router is acting as DHCP server, or it has simply randomly landed on the correct subnet; neither of which seem very reliable to me if it's not known why it is working.

The best solution could be arrived at without this random router, by providing the following information:
  • which mode the XR18 is in (there are 3: wired, wifi client, wifi AP)
  • what IP addressing mode is in use (DHCP, static, DHCP link-local)
  • what specific IP's are in use on XR and client.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4XUxMfbCoc

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2020, 07:05:28 pm »

Glad to hear it - I was pretty confident that would get you working again unless you had a hardware problem.

I understand that you'd probably prefer the simplicity of simply laptop -> cable -> mixer, however...

To get this working you probably need to tweak a little more on the mixer and/or your laptop, as has been discussed, but is not always obvious what to do.  However, those settings may cause you problems if you later want to use an external router/access point. 

By using the external router, you also have a wireless connection, so you can hop on with a phone/tablet and enjoy the benefits of wireless control, while still having the resilience of the wired connection.  Admittedly, this may not be a benefit if you're doing no more than live streaming (i.e., not gigging), but worth having the flexibility.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2020, 04:34:45 pm »

I wonder if this is related to the problem that I and others had using Airport Expresses with Behringer gear. Sometimes it would connect, sometimes it wouldn't, and sometimes when it wouldn't connect just letting it sit would result in it randomly connecting at some point.

Putting a switch in between ApExp and console, which I think is essentially what you've done between computer and console, solves it instantly and keeps it solved.

I've wondered if the Behringer interface behind the RJ45 has some kind of design flaw with impedance or something analogous, where it wants to see something other than what the Apple gear (or whatever) has. But I don't have the smarts or measurement gear to know what to look for or how to tell if it is or isn't there.

Regardless, glad you got it to work.

Andrew Hollis

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2020, 05:17:33 pm »

I wonder if this is related to the problem that I and others had using Airport Expresses with Behringer gear. Sometimes it would connect, sometimes it wouldn't, and sometimes when it wouldn't connect just letting it sit would result in it randomly connecting at some point.

The Apple AirPort Express A1264 is not straightforward to configure for gear interconnection because it does not have a LAN port, nor the ability to create a local network, it just has a single WAN port. It's meant to be connected directly to a modem, or used as just an AP, and I think those modes confuse many in the setup.

I believe that's the source of most of the confusion when using the AirPort Express. The 'newer' A1392 version is a better choice because it has an independent switched LAN port.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2020, 05:17:33 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 23 queries.