ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: XR18 issue  (Read 6490 times)

Lou Kohley

Re: XR18 issue
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 11:58:02 AM »

I suspect this is an IP issue. Are you using the wifi built in to live stream?
I think the software maybe trying to use the other connection. Are you using two different devices? i.e. Tablet for mixing, computer for streaming?

LOU

duane massey

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 01:47:56 PM »

Okay, a recap: I am NOT using anything wireless. I am NOT streaming anything. I am connecting the laptop to the mixer via a Cat5 cable. The laptop is sitting on top of the mixer. The set-up worked initially inside the house without any issues for several days. When I moved it into the garage (approx 30') it worked fine for the first day. From that point on the laptop loses connection to the mixer.
Nothing else is connected.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Joris Jans2

• Vester Theater Techniek
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 02:35:38 PM »

don't you need a UTP Cross Cable when you connect a laptop directly to the XR18?

if you have a simple switch (preferably a unmanaged switch, such as a Netgear GS105 or equivalent) you can put that between laptop and console to check.

duane massey

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 02:54:56 PM »

don't you need a UTP Cross Cable when you connect a laptop directly to the XR18?

if you have a simple switch (preferably a unmanaged switch, such as a Netgear GS105 or equivalent) you can put that between laptop and console to check.
I am using the cable that came with the XR18, and it worked perfectly at first.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 04:27:04 PM »

Okay, a recap: I am NOT using anything wireless. I am NOT streaming anything. I am connecting the laptop to the mixer via a Cat5 cable. The laptop is sitting on top of the mixer. The set-up worked initially inside the house without any issues for several days. When I moved it into the garage (approx 30') it worked fine for the first day. From that point on the laptop loses connection to the mixer.
Nothing else is connected.

Dumb question probably, but does your laptop have two ethernet ports? i do know this is highly unlikely.

Just looking for anything that changed between one location and the other.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

duane massey

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 11:31:04 PM »

I guess I'm just too old for this. Set it up again, ready to try some different things, and it has worked flawlessly now for 6 hours. I am really confused.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 02:34:17 AM »

I guess I'm just too old for this. Set it up again, ready to try some different things, and it has worked flawlessly now for 6 hours. I am really confused.

Of course it's working.  While you weren't looking, elves (or maybe Etta James) paid a visit and Got Your Mojo Workin'.  The next time, it will fail.

And failure is important because what I'm about to suggest is using WireShark to sniff the traffic between your computer and mixer.  With an apology to Dr Hook, we need a Gen-u-ine Networking Guru to show us a better way... maybe Scott Holtzman?  Looking at the traffic in WireShark maybe he can determine why the connection drops.

My list of questions is likely redundant to things you've already checked, I'm sure, so I'll offer this:  I like & buy Lenovo ThinkPad laptops.  Quality refurbs show up routinely and since most of *my* audio applications don't need ultra fast CPUs or mountains of RAM, life is usually good.  Usually.  One ThinkPad I use only for Audio Architect and walk in/set change music has developed an annoying habit of disconnecting from the wired audio data network (no Dante, closed network).  I have the WiFi radio physically turned off but the computer acts like it's looking for a network.  Can be 250' of CAT5e (FOH to amps) or a 10' CAT5e patch cable in ampland... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I *think* I've tracked it down to the RJ45 connector on the computer...  The only thing I use this for at showtime is system telemetry (amp output, clip status, limit status etc) so I think on the next gig I might possibly, hope to do sometime this year... is to replace the CAT5e with WiFi and see if it stays connected.

Or maybe we need a good spell from the House of Voodoo...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 04:18:12 AM »

Yep, Murphy lives in mt garage.....
Planned to use the XR18 tonight for the first time (live streaming), and I've been working with it for a week or so getting it set up. Went thru it one more time to verify all was good, and now the laptop is dropping the connection repeatedly. Here's the set-up:
Laptop, Win 7
Cat 5 to XR18

Pretty simple right?

I'm going to use our standard rig for tonight (Yamaha powered mixer) just because I'm really apprehensive about using a new rig under these circumstances. Any thoughts on what could be hapening?

Could be the NIC card on either unit.
Try opening up both units and reseating the NIC cards. Clean the connectors with deoxit or 99% alcohol.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 12:39:22 PM »

I work as an Network admin by day and suspect I may know the root of your issue.  If your wifi was enabled on the laptop and your wifi adapter made a connection and pulled a valid IP address, your computer may have been trying to use that connection to talk to the world instead of the wired connection.  This would be especially true if you had the poor luck of getting an IP address range via wifi that was in the same range as the one you are using on the LAN connection to the XR18. 

My suggestion: disable the wifi adapter on your primary wired device.  Go wired from the XR18 and the host laptop to an all-in-one wifi/router/switch boxes (I like Netgear stuff that supports AC spec) and you should be gtg.  You can have a secondary device on wifi as well for convenience.

Does your XR18 have a statically assigned IP address?  On your wired laptops, what are your network settings?  Do you have a gateway assigned on the wired adapter?

duane massey

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 01:01:04 PM »

My thanks to everyone for the responses. I am just going to admit defeat and find someone younger and smarter locally to help me with this. I'm good with analog stuff, and not afraid of audio- and lighting-related software, but I am totally out of my comfort zone when it comes to networking or anything under the hood.

Getting old is a great life-goal, but the side-effects can suck.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 01:01:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.