ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: He's done it again... JTR 215PRO Subs  (Read 2261 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
He's done it again... JTR 215PRO Subs
« on: May 28, 2020, 12:36:03 PM »

As most everyone knows, I live fairly close to Jeff's shop (JTR) so I'm over there a fair bit, either lending a hand, or asking him to palletize and ship something for me.  :D

I've been watching him work on a new build for some time and he's finally got it ready to go, so I wanted to share it here. JTR has just released the 215PRO subwoofer - it features dual 15" drivers and is available passive or active. I normally wouldn't be too excited about 15s, but these things are beasts, true to JTR form. They're available as passive or active, and will keep up with his 218PRO, which are absolute monsters.

I've used four 218PRO in a small local soccer stadium (1500 people on the ground) and have had more than enough bass and headroom. I typically deployed two 218PRO and never wanted for more... we did an outdoor gig with a local rock band when the 218PRO first came out, and we were running the subs at -6db relative to the tops (TTL6A). Output for days and LF extension down to a realistic, usable, 27Hz.

Well, the 215PRO appear to be very similar in performance, while offering a smaller footprint and lighter weight. Seems to be slightly more musical, but I've only had a limited listen. Jeff reports the 218PRO has +3dB more output than the 215PRO.

I just stumbled across an Audioholics article where they measured/verified the 215PRO - it's pretty impressive, especially when you consider they took measurements at 2m/rms. If my math is correct, we can add 9dB for 1m/peak. Crikey! Frequency response looks smooth and from what I've heard of the prototypes, there's much less distortion. The pandemic has hit Jeff and his suppliers pretty hard so I'm not sure if these are available yet. I can't wait to get back down to his shop to play around with these a bit more. I'd like to hear them combined with his new 212TX tops...

Link to article: https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/jtr-captivator-215pro

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 05:56:10 PM by Steve Litscher »

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
Re: He's done it again... JTR 215PRO Subs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 06:16:52 PM »

As most everyone knows, I live fairly close to Jeff's shop (JTR) so I'm over there a fair bit, either lending a hand, or asking him to palletize and ship something for me.  :D

I've been watching him work on a new build for some time and he's finally got it ready to go, so I wanted to share it here. JTR has just released the 215PRO subwoofer - it features dual 15" drivers and is available passive or active. I normally wouldn't be too excited about 15s, but these things are beasts, true to JTR form. They're available as passive or active, and will keep up with his 218PRO, which are absolute monsters.

I've used four 218PRO in a small local soccer stadium (1500 people on the ground) and have had more than enough bass and headroom. I typically deployed two 218PRO and never wanted for more... we did an outdoor gig with a local rock band when the 218PRO first came out, and we were running the subs at -6db relative to the tops (TTL6A). Output for days and LF extension down to a realistic, usable, 27Hz.

Well, the 215PRO appear to be very similar in performance, while offering a smaller footprint and lighter weight. Seems to be slightly more musical, but I've only had a limited listen. Jeff reports the 218PRO has +3dB more output than the 215PRO.

I just stumbled across an Audioholics article where they measured/verified the 215PRO - it's pretty impressive, especially when you consider they took measurements at 2m/rms. If my math is correct, we can add 9dB for 1m/peak. Crikey! Frequency response looks smooth and from what I've heard of the prototypes, there's much less distortion. The pandemic has hit Jeff and his suppliers pretty hard so I'm not sure if these are available yet. I can't wait to get back down to his shop to play around with these a bit more. I'd like to hear them combined with his new 212TX tops...

Link to article: https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/jtr-captivator-215pro
It seems that many companies have their marketing teams write the specs for their products. Having comparable, third party testing gives people the ability to compare products with actual, measured data. Data-Bass has measured many of our products over the years. Its always very interesting to see how all  the subwoofers they measure actually perform and to be able to compare them against each other. A couple of the reviewers for Audioholics live near by, making it convenient to have them do independent, third party testing. Both Data-Bass and Audioholics are posting 2m/rms numbers so they are comparable (add 9db for 1m/peak).

https://data-bass.com/#/systems?sort=10Hz%3A1%2Cmfr%3A-1%2Cname%3A-1&_k=ia06a4

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:08:43 PM by Mac Kerr »

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: He's done it again... JTR 215PRO Subs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 06:16:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.