ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Generators and grounding and bonding etc etc etc ..... again....  (Read 7378 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Generators and grounding and bonding etc etc etc ..... again....
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 02:06:20 PM »

A few months  ago I came across this cable in the garage that I had with my old frame generator years ago but obviously I must have kept the cable when I sold the genny.
Can I use this with any generator that has the duplex 120v receptacles? Any advantage?

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steven Cohen

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2020, 09:54:39 AM »

Debbie,

I use the 30 Amp Nema L5-30P twist lock lock with 75' of 10 AWG on my Yamaha EF3000iSEB as my main feeder cable. I have a quad box on the end with two duplexes that are individually breakered at 20 Amps. My advantage of going with the 30 Amp connection over the 20 Amp duplex on the generator is that I need 75' of cable to reach the place I need power. By using the 30 amp twist lock I can use 10 AWG wire. I would not be able to use 10 AWG with a NEMA 5-20P.

As far as any additional power advantages of using the 30 Amp connector, my generator is limited to around 2800 watts using just the 30 Amp connector or using a combination of the 20 Amp and 30 Amp connections. Some generators are different where the current is breakered on both the 20 Amp and 30 Amp individually so your generator may be different.

For me, the main advantage of using the 30 Amp connection is that I can use a larger wire size for the feeder cable

A few months  ago I came across this cable in the garage that I had with my old frame generator years ago but obviously I must have kept the cable when I sold the genny.
Can I use this with any generator that has the duplex 120v receptacles? Any advantage?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:45:16 AM by Steven Cohen »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2020, 01:11:14 AM »

I used the 30 amp pigtail into a 10 awg 50ft on the EF3000 and powered most of the stage on that one - the 2 guitar backline amps, pedals etc got  their power from one of my EF2000's using 2 cables from the Nema receptacles.
Used house ground, connected grounds on both gennys and plugged in my bonding plug. Felt pretty safe to me! Thanks peeps.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mike Monte

• My website

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2020, 02:28:06 PM »

Please clarify

The actual grounding rod to the house.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2020, 07:19:19 PM »

^  Well done.  I picked up a Honda EB2800i for smaller outdoor jobs.  Used it for a garden wedding small PA and walkway lights.  Works well, very quiet and easy to move around.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 07:26:01 PM by Steve-White »

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2020, 08:32:47 PM »

^  Well done.  I picked up a Honda EB2800i for smaller outdoor jobs.  Used it for a garden wedding small PA and walkway lights.  Works well, very quiet and easy to move around.

Nice. I'm seeing more and more open frame inverter generators - much easier to afford  with only a few db more than the enclosed inverter style.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2020, 10:52:11 PM »

I just remembered something from saturday that perhaps someone could explain.

Before I connected the first generator to the house ground, I wanted to check each generator with my neutral bonding plug first.  I connected the generator grounds together then I plugged in the neutral bonding plug into the first generator. I checked my receptacle tester and I got 2 yellow lights so all was good on genny 1. However, I tested the second generator with the tester and although the ground was connected to the first,  it still showed open neutral - 1 yellow light....
I pulled the bonding plug from the first genny and plugged it in the 2nd one directly  and  it showed grounded neutral.
I read that I should only need one bonding plug if the generators have their grounds connected.
I went on to connect to the ground rod as an extra safety measure anyway.

Do I need to make 2 more bonding plugs for when I run all 3 generators?

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2020, 01:38:09 AM »

Nice. I'm seeing more and more open frame inverter generators - much easier to afford  with only a few db more than the enclosed inverter style.
I picked open frame thinking - easier to pack in truck, can stack on it, will probably run cooler, large gas tank & easy access for maintenance.  I used a 100' run of 12ga to power the small PA and put the 60" flat cart (used for moving equipment) on it's side in front of the genny.  There was open space behind it, couldn't hear it at all any time in the evening.

I wasn't initially a big fan of inverters because of the cost.  Reading some of your comments on how you are setup got me thinking about it.  I have 9KW & a 13KW regular gas rigs.  I'll probably add a mid size inverter in the 5-7KW range to the mix.

How the inverters manage the engine RPM, based upon load demand makes them superior in applications where you need quiet.  It's not about all that fluff of "clean sine wave" for electronics.  My other generators run electronics just fine.  It's about engine management and noise control.  For PA uses they definitely have a place for smaller operators.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 01:54:39 PM by Steve-White »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 12:47:20 PM »

I just remembered something from saturday that perhaps someone could explain.

Before I connected the first generator to the house ground, I wanted to check each generator with my neutral bonding plug first.  I connected the generator grounds together then I plugged in the neutral bonding plug into the first generator. I checked my receptacle tester and I got 2 yellow lights so all was good on genny 1. However, I tested the second generator with the tester and although the ground was connected to the first,  it still showed open neutral - 1 yellow light....
I pulled the bonding plug from the first genny and plugged it in the 2nd one directly  and  it showed grounded neutral.
I read that I should only need one bonding plug if the generators have their grounds connected.
I went on to connect to the ground rod as an extra safety measure anyway.

Do I need to make 2 more bonding plugs for when I run all 3 generators?

If you are not using parallel kits, then yes-otherwise the neutrals are separate.  Sometimes it helps to draw yourself a picture. (At least that's what I do :) )
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 12:47:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.