ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hodag country music fest in Northern Wisconsin is on!  (Read 9868 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Re: Hodag country music fest in Northern Wisconsin is on!
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2020, 11:08:17 AM »

Droplets *ARE AIRBORNE* from every exhalation of every breathing animal, everywhere, always.

Sorry; should've been more clear. "Airborne" in the sense that diseases like tuberculosis and whatnot are truly "airborne" - those can be spread simply by breathing in the vicinity of someone who has it. COVID-19 is spread by droplets (which can transmit through the air). Generally speaking, you have to cough, sneeze, etc. to transmit COVID-19, hence the droplet designation vs airborne/aerosol.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2020, 02:15:25 PM »

Sorry; should've been more clear. "Airborne" in the sense that diseases like tuberculosis and whatnot are truly "airborne" - those can be spread simply by breathing in the vicinity of someone who has it. COVID-19 is spread by droplets (which can transmit through the air). Generally speaking, you have to cough, sneeze, sing, shout, scream, or otherwise exhale at velocities beyond quiet speech, etc. to transmit COVID-19 in infectious quantities, hence the droplet designation vs airborne/aerosol.

Fixed it for you.

The outbreak in Washington state - the church choir that practiced for 2.5 hours - one person infected roughly 80% of the group and 2 eventually died.  THIS is the kind of thing that shows the need for nuanced decisions, but public opinion (often from social media) is instead substituted for biology and mathematical modeling.

Fifty people talking for 30 minutes, distanced and outdoors, are less likely to be involved in a transmission and infection than the above scenario.  In a world that is obsessed with binary, yes-or-no answers (or single number specifications - obligatory audio content), this distinction is lost.

Even if these distinctions were not lost I suspect a significant plurality of folks would ignore, dismiss, or minimize because of their need for immediate gratification or assuaging of butt-hurt over their perceived 'loss of liberty'... and that in those numbers a significant rise in new infections and eventual hospitalizations will occur.  IOW, my Digital Crystal Ball (now with amplified antenna!) says "you ain't seen nothin' yet."  I hope it's wrong.

Again, while the motivations of individuals may be political, social, anti-social, or cannot be determined, it's the BEHAVIOR of people, especially in groups and with alcohol or other drugs, that screws this up for everyone.  Epidemiologists study human behavior and is why most of the Biology Pundits were predicting 18-24 months of various restrictions - not because of the virus itself, but because of the human behavior responses.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2020, 06:25:06 AM »

Randy / Jason,

Social media is the worst place to get accurate information IMO.  As an example I saw a statistic on Tuesday being shared by people that showed "the number of new infections since the Memorial Day weekend" which was blatantly trying to mislead people
That in general is what I was pointing out.  Again I wasn't targeting any one chart or stat in particular, but noting that in this crazy time, there is a lot of bad information out there.  Take what you hear/view/read with a bit of skepticism and stay safe.  8)
I agree that there is a lot of misinformation out there but the reader has to take some responsibility.
In your case the word"since" is the key. It's the same as "one of the best" doesn't mean THE best or "It might rain" doesn't mean "It will rain"
We all have to pay attention to the wording and apply some critical thinking (which is in critical shortage). ::)
Mind you, some info is so far off base it floors me that people even consider it.
Now, about the 5G ;D ;D
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2020, 03:44:01 PM »

https://www.wausaudailyherald.com/story/news/2020/05/26/hodag-country-festival-rhinelander-approved-july/5263371002/

Small world.  I was just digging through a long-lost box last week and found a t-shirt from when we last played the Hodag fest (1979).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2020, 03:44:01 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.