ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP solution  (Read 1408 times)

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
DSP solution
« on: May 26, 2020, 06:29:26 AM »

I'm looking for a DSP capable of Linear Phase crossovers with balanced I/O and no internal fans.
Stereo input to 2x2way output.

I'm using a Lake LM26 in my living room right now, sounds good, but it has a fan that's annoying me. Thinking about replacing it.

Is there such a device available?

Peter Morris

Re: DSP solution
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 06:51:15 AM »

I'm looking for a DSP capable of Linear Phase crossovers with balanced I/O and no internal fans.

I'm using a Lake LM26 in my living room right now, sounds good, but it has a fan that's annoying me. Thinking about replacing it.

These sound great .... and i don't think it has a fan (?)

https://linea-research.co.uk/asc48/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:54:25 AM by Peter Morris »

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 06:54:16 AM »

If you're running sound from a computer, EQ APO will let you implement all sorts of DSP - I recently used it to implement a one million tap filter, just for the fun of it. It's free software that sits between the media player and the physical outputs.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 07:58:31 AM »

BSS BLU-50
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 09:36:51 AM »

If you're running sound from a computer, EQ APO will let you implement all sorts of DSP - I recently used it to implement a one million tap filter, just for the fun of it. It's free software that sits between the media player and the physical outputs.

Chris

No, I use several different sources unfortunately, so it needs to be "in the signal chain" :)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 12:47:11 PM »

How about disconnecting the fan.

Over the years there have been a few devices that I disconnected the internal fan. There was a DBX DSP that had a really noisy fan and then DBX said it was OK to disconnect it (they said the fan was overkill) unless you were using it outdoors on a hot sunny day with the sun light hitting the unit.

A UPS I was using for the digital mixer at FOH was too loud for theatrical use, so I disconnected the fan and determined that it never even got warm. It was a bit oversized.

I had some ETC dimmer racks that a couple of them were in the church sanctuary and the fans were louder then they said they would be on the spec sheets. I worked with our ETC rep and he said with the load we had on them the fans didn't need to be running that fast. So I installed what was basically a variac transformer on the fans on each rack and I was able to turn down the speed of the fans so it still moved the air but it didn't sound like a wind storm. I mounted it so I had access to it when the door was open so if I needed I could turn the fans up or down. I lucked out and found these variable transformers in an electronics distributes stock room when they let me wander around looking for them. They had been just sitting there for years and weren't even listed in their inventory. I got them a lot cheaper then they would normally be.   

In the old days when power amps didn't have builtin fans and it was the rack itself that had a pair of fans, I always used the 7 watt muffin fans instead of the 14 watt fans because they were a lot quieter. I even had a switch to turn off the fans on the rack in case we needed to. And usually when you needed it to be that quiet it wasn't going to be taxing the amps anyway so it was OK to turn them off.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 04:21:36 PM »

These sound great .... and i don't think it has a fan (?)

https://linea-research.co.uk/asc48/

Talked to the distributor, according to him the non-Dante version doesn't have a fan.
The Dante version supposedly has a fan and you are supposed to be able to turn both the fan and the Dante chipset off.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 08:23:46 PM »

Talked to the distributor, according to him the non-Dante version doesn't have a fan.
The Dante version supposedly has a fan and you are supposed to be able to turn both the fan and the Dante chipset off.

Helge, for home use i've played with several platforms...mainly to see how well i could tune tune DIYs, and to see what FIR can do.
Multiple miniDSP units, PC convolution, the Linea processor mentioned, and lately Q-sys core 110f.
(I don't know anything about the Blu-50, but I know David has a wide range of processor experience and i always listen to his recommendations.)

All work with different caveats...
If what you want is within the Linea's I/O channel count, and you want nothing more with FIR than psuedo 24dB/oct linear phase xovers, that would be my vote.
Stellar piece of gear.
If you need more input channel count  for multiple sources, perhaps including USB, the Core 110f is sweet. (or for more output channels)
Plus the FIR and IIR capabilities super exceed the Linea, not to mention the fun of open architecture designs.   And it has no fan :)
I've found the open architecture of q-sys a joy for home use, and very educational for pro use...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 08:23:46 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.