ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 S32 snakes used with X32  (Read 1541 times)

Justin Waters

2 S32 snakes used with X32
« on: May 25, 2020, 08:14:36 PM »

My church is doing outdoor services due to covid and we are trying to streamline our setup outside, which is just on the other side of the exterior wall as our indoor stage.  We are using an X32 mixer and have the s32 snake on stage.  Can we just get a second S32 (that will go on the outdoor stage) and run it out of the AES50-B port on the main snake so we dont have to completely re-patch each week?  Also, can we leave our in-ear rack plugged into the indoor snake and just put our antenna outside? 

Dan Mortensen

Re: 2 S32 snakes used with X32
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 08:35:37 PM »

My church is doing outdoor services due to covid and we are trying to streamline our setup outside, which is just on the other side of the exterior wall as our indoor stage.  We are using an X32 mixer and have the s32 snake on stage.  Can we just get a second S32 (that will go on the outdoor stage) and run it out of the AES50-B port on the main snake so we dont have to completely re-patch each week?  Also, can we leave our in-ear rack plugged into the indoor snake and just put our antenna outside?

Unfortunately no, in my experience.

The most inputs that can be connected to an AES50 port is 48, so you can add an S16, or have 3 S16's or whatever (not sure if you could have 6 S8's or whatever those little guys are called).

You CAN have 2 S32's connected to your console by using another CAT snake line, and I think the 4+ firmware lets you chose between them not in blocks of 8. In the old firmware, you could select between them but only in blocks of 8.

Justin Waters

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 08:52:51 PM »

Unfortunately no, in my experience.

The most inputs that can be connected to an AES50 port is 48, so you can add an S16, or have 3 S16's or whatever (not sure if you could have 6 S8's or whatever those little guys are called).

You CAN have 2 S32's connected to your console by using another CAT snake line, and I think the 4+ firmware lets you chose between them not in blocks of 8. In the old firmware, you could select between them but only in blocks of 8.

Run a separate CAT line from the mixer to the second S32?

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 09:07:17 PM »

Well, you *can* have two S32s cascaded, but the 48 input limit means that you'll get 32 inputs from the first S32, and 16 from the second S32.
The way to use all inputs from both S32s is to run two Cat5e cables from the mixer.  Connect one to the X32's AES50A port and the other to the X32's AES50B port.  That way, you can indeed access all 64 channels for patching, subject to the channel DSP limit of 32 full channels plus 6 aux channels.

And yes, the v4 and above firmware lets you patch per channel.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 09:14:10 PM »

If you want more flexibility, pick up an X32 rack instead.  You can then cascade and route as you wish.
Brian Jojade

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 09:54:39 PM »

As stated, the easiest/best way to do this would be to run a separate Cat5 from the AES50B on the mixer to the new stagebox. It would be a simple routing change to use either stagebox. In this case, you could certainly use the outputs on the original while using the inputs from outside.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Justin Waters

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 11:20:11 PM »

Great, thanks for the help.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 03:08:22 AM »

Well, you *can* have two S32s cascaded, but the 48 input limit means that you'll get 32 inputs from the first S32, and 16 from the second S32.

Not when I tried it. The second one wouldn't connect.

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 01:03:19 AM »

Not when I tried it. The second one wouldn't connect.

Did you connect the second S32 with its AES50 B port?  If you did, it won’t work.

You connect the A port on the S32 to the mixer’s B port.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 01:18:41 AM »

Did you connect the second S32 with its AES50 B port?  If you did, it won’t work.

You connect the A port on the S32 to the mixer’s B port.

Not quite sure what you're saying.

The OP asked if he could connect two S32's to one CAT cable and thus to a console, if I understood correctly. Actually, he said:

"We are using an X32 mixer and have the s32 snake on stage.  Can we just get a second S32 (that will go on the outdoor stage) and run it out of the AES50-B port on the main snake so we dont have to completely re-patch each week?"

Since he said "on the main snake" I inferred he was talking about the AES50-B port on the first S32, since that would be the stage end of "the main snake". So the answer to his exact question as interpreted is no.

Had he said "using snake line #2", I would have had a different answer. But he didn't.

When the consoles and stage boxes first came out, there was some discussion of a method you could use to have the B port on a stage box connected to a second mixer and it would work somehow, but I didn't understand it and never tried. IIRC it was Per (Solveig?) who brought it up, but my recollections can have a significant margin of error.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 01:18:41 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.