ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back up mixer  (Read 1231 times)

dave briar

• Helena Montana
Re: Back up mixer
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 02:48:13 pm »

Admittedly a large part of the justification for my going with a second X32 Rack as my backup was to address the limitation of only having 16-ins/8-outs on the primary mixer.  I could have gone with a 16x8 stage box for ~$650 but decided that for an additional $450 I could kill the proverbial two birds with one stone.
..db

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 08:07:34 pm »

Thanks all.

I think youíve convinced me that a Qu SB is the way to go.

Although the UI24R is an interesting one. Itís got that AFS which, for an emergency drop in, would be useful. I think it would be slightly cheaper too.

Mal Brown

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 08:55:18 pm »

With the Ui-24 you also run the risk of it becoming your main mixer ;-)   It is incredibly good.
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Scott Slater

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2020, 07:46:29 am »

It depends on the show.  I do a 3-day music festival with around 30 bands and carry a complete backup PA on that one.  Full digital mixer, extra stage boxes, extra snakes, mics, speakers, etc.

On a smaller show, I would probably only carry a small analog mixer as a backup or perhaps a rack mixer, router & tablet.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2020, 08:26:28 am »

Iím running a QUpac as a small time owner operator who provides PA for small functions and pub bands.

QU has been bullet proof but Iíd like to have a backup. I used to have an Allen Heath zed 12fx but It took a serious tumble just before the pandemic put things on hold.

What do you Recommend for a backup desk for that setting. A budget digital desk (that would take the place of the QU if needed, but take more time to setup, or an analogue board that would compromise on channels and auxiliaryís? Space is a factor too.

I use a QU-16 for mostly the same type of gigs (small functions / pub bands).
My rigs are passive thus I bring a small rack with power amps, etc.

On the above small jobs I keep a powered mixer (Yorkville m810) in the truck.
The m810 can be routed/tied-into my rig several ways; I can use the mixer part or the power amp part, or both.
The only limitation is it has 8 channels which is more than enough to get through a small gig in an emergency situation.
It takes up very little space...

I've also used the m810 on gigs where I was playing while running the PA from stage....'works well.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2020, 02:27:48 pm »

On festivals we carry a spare full sized mixer (from an M32 to an Avid Profile, depending on what's in the shop, what the customer wants, etc) and it lives somewhere on site.  For other shows we may not have an on-site spare (again, depending on multiple factors) but will have a way to make the show happen until either a spare is delivered or we fix the problem.

While any piece of gear can fail, in over 30 years I can recall only a couple of desks failing for reasons under my/our control.  I've carried some kind of spare on my personal gigs over the years and when I'm doing corporate work I *always* have a spare of some kind.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #25 on: May 30, 2020, 02:27:48 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.