ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Back up mixer  (Read 1168 times)

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Back up mixer
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 07:18:56 pm »

And in the kiddie pool range, I always bring my Mackie 402 mixer in case our DL1608 goes down. Then we've got 2 vocal mics and keys to the mains... but our needs are simple and we don't mind sharing a vocal mic (at least didn't before all this...)

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 08:49:46 pm »

Your looking for what I call a “Utility Mixer”

It’s a small mixer that can fill a variety of roles including replacing the main console if it goes down. I wrote an article about them a few years ago.

https://www.prosoundweb.com/mvp-the-many-useful-applications-of-utility-mixers/

I used to carry around small analog Mackie units but some time ago I switched to using QSC Touchmix 8 and 16 mixers in my “Utility” role. They offer incredible advantages over a small analog mixer including lots of inputs, lots of outputs, onboard Output EQ, onboard effects and multi-track recording. In fact, for my meetings with the Department of Energy I route the main mixer (Soundcraft Impact) into a TouchMix and record the meetings on a thumb drive in the QSC.

In the past few years I have used a QSC TouchMix as a recorder on numerous shows, as a keyboard sub-mixer, a side car expander for a small mixer when I needed more inputs at FOH, a separate FOH mixer for an “Overflow Room”, a separate mixer for a last minute “Breakout Room” and as an intercom. The intercom was between a backstage area and my FOH so we could communicate about set changes and special effects at a corporate show where the 2-way radio system did not get packed on the truck. By using a spare powered speaker backstage, headphones at FOH and some mics we could communicate.

A TouchMix also served as a lobby mixer for cocktail hour at a wedding before they let the crowd into the main ballroom for the reception, and I have used a TouchMix a few times at Wedding ceremonies to mic up the wedding party, hook up a keyboard or playback music.

Of course on small gigs I use the QSCs as a FOH mixer. They offer great sound, lots of connections, lots of DSP and multi-track recording. They also have a nice remote App for an iPad So you can walk around and mix remotely.

While I like the onboard screen and remote app, I also like the fact that I can use the onboard knob to control a channel so when I am at a corporate gig I can always have my fingers resting on the “Money Channel” like the presenter’s wireless or the podium mic.

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 03:46:49 am »

Barking mad, surely! As the TM16 costs about the same as the QU-PAC, yet is a completely different mixer!  Whether you like the TM series or not, it's not the right tool for this job.

Barking mad? Me? Possibly. I just hadn't checked the price level we're working at. The QSC TM16 offers plenty of I/O and features in a very compact footprint. IMO, that makes it pretty ideal as a backup.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mal Brown

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 12:43:41 am »

The backup for my UI-24r i another ui-24r.  They also network. 
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 06:15:15 pm »

The backup for my UI-24r i another ui-24r.  They also network.
Which, for your situation, is probably the absolute best outcome.  If your main mixer failed, I'm ready to bet you'd be back in action pretty quickly - and without compromise on the mix.

Honestly, at this end of the foodchain, mixers are so cheap that there's little excuse for not having a suitable backup.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 08:39:59 pm »

Which, for your situation, is probably the absolute best outcome.  If your main mixer failed, I'm ready to bet you'd be back in action pretty quickly - and without compromise on the mix.

Honestly, at this end of the foodchain, mixers are so cheap that there's little excuse for not having a suitable backup.
While I would be the first one to congratulate Mal for a very nice mixer and backup, the Ui24 is an $1100.00 mixer.  For many folks, that is a big investment for the band ..... especially if one is used to a Mackie 1604.  Of course a used MixWiz will only run you about $300 these day's.  Loved that old mixer .... but it weighed a metric S*** ton ;).

Mal Brown

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 09:17:36 pm »

The cost of the racks and the outboard gear necessary to really work with a board like the Mix Wiz or an old analog Crest or...   When I first went digital, I spent around 1700 on the board.  The outboard gear I sold paid for it...  sold it for 600, in a case 4 years later and counted my blessings...  Moved to a !ackie dl-1608 which is a board I still respect.  I got a lot of mileage from mine.

I get that not everybody is as dumb as me when it comes to my band stuff ... I really want that band sounding absolutely well rehearsed, tight and pristine.   Even though we are just a cover band, no reason we shouldn't be as good sounding a cover band as possible.

Having said all that - I don't actually carry a spare mixer to band gigs.  Mine lives on an APC lunchbox UPS and it's been solid.  Sound co gigs, yep.  Backup is on the truck.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 09:23:20 pm by Mal Brown »
Bass player, sound guy.
Fb Gorge Sound and Light
WillyandNelson.com

Bob Stone

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 09:46:19 pm »

The cost of the racks and the outboard gear necessary to really work with a board like the Mix Wiz or an old analog Crest or...   When I first went digital, I spent around 1700 on the board.  The outboard gear I sold paid for it...  sold it for 600, in a case 4 years later and counted my blessings...  Moved to a !ackie dl-1608 which is a board I still respect.  I got a lot of mileage from mine.

I get that not everybody is as dumb as me when it comes to my band stuff ... I really want that band sounding absolutely well rehearsed, tight and pristine.   Even though we are just a cover band, no reason we shouldn't be as good sounding a cover band as possible.

Having said all that - I don't actually carry a spare mixer to band gigs.  Mine lives on an APC lunchbox UPS and it's been solid.  Sound co gigs, yep.  Backup is on the truck.

The point is to have something to limp through the show...a show can go on without any outboard on a simple analog desk. Is it going to sound perfect? No. But it's going to sound better than no PA at all.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 04:05:29 am »

I have a Midas DM16. It will finish a shew ! For show ! Yo !

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2020, 12:09:22 pm »

The point is to have something to limp through the show...a show can go on without any outboard on a simple analog desk. Is it going to sound perfect? No. But it's going to sound better than no PA at all.
And that's really the question everyone has to end up asking.  Do you want the small cheap compromise that "will do"?  Or will you feel so compromised with that arrangement that you might as well have the "like for like" arrangement that will be a simple swap?  A lot will depend on the kind of events you do and expectations.

I personally carry a basic tiny analog mixer as a backup for pub gigs, and "it'll do" is the correct answer for me in that situation.  For bigger events, that won't do.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2020, 12:09:22 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 24 queries.