ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery-Powered Radio with MP3 Playback  (Read 189 times)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Battery-Powered Radio with MP3 Playback
« on: May 23, 2020, 09:17:44 pm »

Hi all, and hope everyone's holding up okay as best as can be expected...

My crew keeps adding demands and wants music now while we work.  I guess my karaoke didn't meet expectations...  Anyways, I'm looking for a basic battery-powered radio ("contractor style") but that can also play MP3s from a thumb drive or SD card (or even internal memory).  Does such a product exist?  My toolbox of wireless products consists of Black & Decker and Dewalt 20v batteries.  My FOH media players can do playback from all types of media, but that won't help me here.  My phone is also needed for more important tasks during the day so Bluetooth is out.  As of right now it looks like I'll have work on July 4th, so I'll appreciate any input!

Thanks!
-Jeff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Battery-Powered Radio with MP3 Playback
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 09:26:58 pm »

My crew keeps adding demands and wants music now while we work.  I guess my karaoke didn't meet expectations...  Anyways, I'm looking for a basic battery-powered radio ("contractor style") but that can also play MP3s from a thumb drive or SD card (or even internal memory).  Does such a product exist?  My toolbox of wireless products consists of Black & Decker and Dewalt 20v batteries.  My FOH media players can do playback from all types of media, but that won't help me here.  My phone is also needed for more important tasks during the day so Bluetooth is out.  As of right now it looks like I'll have work on July 4th, so I'll appreciate any input!

Thanks!
-Jeff

They can provide their own entertainment, but I suggest drawing the line ahead of brass poles and lap dances.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 10:02:54 pm »

They can provide their own entertainment, but I suggest drawing the line ahead of brass poles and lap dances.

I hear ya, but I've kind of wanted this too for a while - hence the need for me to be able to pick my own tunes and not rely on a radio broadcast.  Aside from the occasional entertainment from sea sickness some background music never hurts!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 10:12:21 pm »

I hear ya, but I've kind of wanted this too for a while - hence the need for me to be able to pick my own tunes and not rely on a radio broadcast.  Aside from the occasional entertainment from sea sickness some background music never hurts!

One of the LX guys I used to work with had a small "clip on your belt loop" BT speaker.  He used his phone with a playlist or streaming.  It wasn't annoyingly loud, it moved with him, etc.  I'm sure it was an Amazon deal of the day...

But while looking for that, I found this:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCR025-Bluetooth-Radio-Charger/dp/B01H9BLN3K
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 10:28:50 pm »

But while looking for that, I found this:
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCR025-Bluetooth-Radio-Charger/dp/B01H9BLN3K

I saw that one actually while doing my google search before looking to the creative minds here.  I initially dismissed this since I didn't want to stream from my phone and kill the battery in the process, but since the unit can also charge my phone at the same time I guess it's a net balance?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 11:13:06 pm »

I saw that one actually while doing my google search before looking to the creative minds here.  I initially dismissed this since I didn't want to stream from my phone and kill the battery in the process, but since the unit can also charge my phone at the same time I guess it's a net balance?

I didn't read the description thoroughly... the listing said MP3 player and presumed that one of the USB ports could use a thumb drive.  Not so. :(

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 12:13:01 am »

Thanks!
-Jeff

iphone playlists through

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Bluetooth-Speaker-Tool-Only-with-Free-20-Volt-MAX-Battery-3-0Ah-Charger-DCR010WDCB230C/308410650
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
peter@bestaudio.com

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 01:09:48 am »

I didn't read the description thoroughly... the listing said MP3 player and presumed that one of the USB ports could use a thumb drive.  Not so. :(

Yeah, that's sadly what's been making this search so difficult!  It's often a feature on Walmart boomboxes and whatnot, but I can't seem to find a contractor unit that does this.

iphone playlists through

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Bluetooth-Speaker-Tool-Only-with-Free-20-Volt-MAX-Battery-3-0Ah-Charger-DCR010WDCB230C/308410650

Thanks Pete, I've been looking at these too.  Careful reading of the fine print reveals that not all of these units will charge USB devices when running on battery - only when on 120v.  The price is right though.  On the flip side, a pricier unit like Tim mentioned can also serve as a charger and alternator.  While I usually have a small alternator plugged into a truck battery for light-duty 120v service it can't hurt to have another option for 120v as well as for charging tools. 

As an aside for those who don't know me in real life, this will be used primarily on firework job sites - sometimes on land and sometimes on barges.  Having 120v service is rare and I don't like running generators in close proximity to pyrotechnics.  Thanks again!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 04:30:37 am »

On the flip side, a pricier unit like Tim mentioned can also serve as a charger and alternator.  While I usually have a small alternator plugged into a truck battery for light-duty 120v service it can't hurt to have another option for 120v as well as for charging tools. 

Just to correct myself, I should say “inverter” - not “alternator” - it’s been a long day!  Also, after reading more fine print it appears that none of these units have inverters - they’re just 120v pass through when plugged in.

The Tough System radios look neat, especially given that I already have a couple of Tough System boxes.  Apparently the recent 2.0 release was a dud.  Should I go this route I’d have to decide if the 1.0 offering is good enough or hold out for a 2.1 release if it ever comes...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 04:30:37 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 26 queries.