ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice sounding PA speakers (RCF, KV2, Yamaha,...)  (Read 639 times)

Jon Nemanis

Nice sounding PA speakers (RCF, KV2, Yamaha,...)
« on: May 23, 2020, 08:36:08 am »

I am looking into improving/upgrading my jam room.I would like to tidy up and minimize my current system that involves numerous amps in the room. We mainly play hard rock. I am thinking of moving to small PA/active speakers with sub. My emphasis is on sound quality (warm,  sound). I am not sure if we need to go for 10" or 12" speakers. I am leaning towards 10" now.

Room size: 8x5 meters (also gigs up to 100 people)
Instruments: 2 guitars, keyboard, vocals, electronic drums
Budget: ~4500 Euros

Speakers I investigated so far:

1) RCF TT10A and TT1A. Is there a significant difference between them? I read that keyboard players are very happy with TTs. This will make my keyboard player very happy.

2) KV2 EX6/ EX10 loads good reviews about them. EX10 is a bit expensive. Will EX6 be enough to cover full band? It is only 6 speaker.

3) Yamaha DZR 10/12 - they have good reviews. I am wondering how they compare to RCF? From my experience some Yamaha's can sound a bit bright.

4) Other good sounding speakers?

Thanks!

Caleb Dueck

Re: Nice sounding PA speakers (RCF, KV2, Yamaha,...)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 04:36:00 pm »

I am looking into improving/upgrading my jam room.I would like to tidy up and minimize my current system that involves numerous amps in the room. We mainly play hard rock. I am thinking of moving to small PA/active speakers with sub. My emphasis is on sound quality (warm,  sound). I am not sure if we need to go for 10" or 12" speakers. I am leaning towards 10" now.

Room size: 8x5 meters (also gigs up to 100 people)
Instruments: 2 guitars, keyboard, vocals, electronic drums
Budget: ~4500 Euros

Speakers I investigated so far:

1) RCF TT10A and TT1A. Is there a significant difference between them? I read that keyboard players are very happy with TTs. This will make my keyboard player very happy.

2) KV2 EX6/ EX10 loads good reviews about them. EX10 is a bit expensive. Will EX6 be enough to cover full band? It is only 6 speaker.

3) Yamaha DZR 10/12 - they have good reviews. I am wondering how they compare to RCF? From my experience some Yamaha's can sound a bit bright.

4) Other good sounding speakers?

Thanks!

You mentioned 'warm' sound - that is typically two things.  One is how you EQ the system (IE more low-mids and/or lower upper mids/highs), the other is how much distortion there is (extra undesired HF). 

I have the most experience with RCF, and agree the TT line is probably your best bet.  However, don't limit yourself to just those models.  The TTL4A, TT25A II, TT22A II are also worth listening and seriously considering. 

Don't assume that just because it's a small room, a small speaker will work.  Electronic drums at high-ish SPL's (over 100 screaming fans) takes actual output. 

Especially don't assume that you can get by without subwoofers.  Hard rock, 100 people, E drums - expect to pay more for subwoofers than main speakers. 

What I'd look at first - RCF TT22A main speakers and Sub 9006 subwoofers.  What you want to do (SPL, sound quality) and what your initial budget are - don't line up.   If you want to go with lower cost - a pair of TT10A's and a single 9006 sub.  If the budget is hard set - be prepared to either give up SPL or sound quality, or both.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 05:22:41 pm »

Hi,

What is the current system in the space and how is it deployed. Is there pre-recordered music being played on the system too? Who will be mixing the band?

A band with proper stage volume with a PA that's only doing vocals is pretty darn close to utopia. And it works especially well in small or in your case even tiny rooms.
This only works with bands that know how to "mix" theirselves. Remember that the more instruments you start to add to your PA the worse it will sound, this is most notable with vocals. So a PA will always sound worse at the gig then it did/does in the rehearsal space.

Have you given any thought to monitoring requirements. Going amp-less means you need your monitors to work harder. And obviously if the PA gets an upgrade band members might want an upgrade too. Meaning better monitors

Purely based on sound quality 10inch speakers could win, but so can 12. 12inchers are often more useable because they often sound better on the low end compared to 10s when used without subs.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 06:45:35 pm »

A band with proper stage volume with a PA that's only doing vocals is pretty darn close to utopia. And it works especially well in small or in your case even tiny rooms.
This only works with bands that know how to "mix" theirselves. Remember that the more instruments you start to add to your PA the worse it will sound, this is most notable with vocals. So a PA will always sound worse at the gig then it did/does in the rehearsal space.

I'm not quite following that last sentence.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 12:39:25 am »

I think he means that if you only run vocals through your PA at rehearsals, it will sound worse at the gig when you run everything through it. I agree and disagree. While with vocals only you can tune it to perfection for that one thing and make it sound better for the vocals, it doesn't fix anything else. If the band isn't self-mixed ( stage levels et all ) very well, then whether the vocals sound like a platinum record or not is kind of moot. While running the whole band through the PA does reduce the quality of sound as a whole for any one instrument, I find that you can at least achieve a more cohesive mix. It's a compromise either way.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jon Nemanis

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 07:04:31 am »

You mentioned 'warm' sound - that is typically two things.  One is how you EQ the system (IE more low-mids and/or lower upper mids/highs), the other is how much distortion there is (extra undesired HF). 

I have the most experience with RCF, and agree the TT line is probably your best bet.  However, don't limit yourself to just those models.  The TTL4A, TT25A II, TT22A II are also worth listening and seriously considering. 

Don't assume that just because it's a small room, a small speaker will work.  Electronic drums at high-ish SPL's (over 100 screaming fans) takes actual output. 

Especially don't assume that you can get by without subwoofers.  Hard rock, 100 people, E drums - expect to pay more for subwoofers than main speakers. 

What I'd look at first - RCF TT22A main speakers and Sub 9006 subwoofers.  What you want to do (SPL, sound quality) and what your initial budget are - don't line up.   If you want to go with lower cost - a pair of TT10A's and a single 9006 sub.  If the budget is hard set - be prepared to either give up SPL or sound quality, or both.

How do you find RCF TT sounding? Some people are complaining of 'harshness', ear fatigue, etc. Have compared RCF TT to other brands?
I like strong kick drum therefore I will be diffidently using subs. Do you think 10" inch speaker (TT10A or TT1A) with subwoofer will be sufficient?
Thanks!

Jon Nemanis

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 07:28:35 am »

Hi,

What is the current system in the space and how is it deployed. Is there pre-recordered music being played on the system too? Who will be mixing the band?

Have you given any thought to monitoring requirements. Going amp-less means you need your monitors to work harder. And obviously if the PA gets an upgrade band members might want an upgrade too. Meaning better monitors

Purely based on sound quality 10inch speakers could win, but so can 12. 12inchers are often more useable because they often sound better on the low end compared to 10s when used without subs.

We have recently established the band. The current system is a bit random as we used the units that each of us had at home.
We have separate amps (Marshal, Vox) for guitars, drums are using small PA system (LD Dave 8 XS), vocals are using random 8inch speaker. One of our guys will look after mixing. I am looking at nice sounding speakers to avoid upgradetitis at least for a year. Pre-recorded music will be played.

I am wondering if 12inch speakers with subwoofer won't be too much for rehearsal space?

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 08:17:55 am »

I am wondering if 12inch speakers with subwoofer won't be too much for rehearsal space?

Only if you fail to turn them down to an appropriate volume for the space...  ;)

Yes, volume controls go down as well as up.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 08:38:56 am »

While the TTs are a serious step up from the 7-series I have had great results using the rcf 712mk2, in a similar setup to yours, without subwoofer in pubs way larger than your room and people have wondered where Ive hidden the sub.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 08:51:30 am »

If those speakers are your only choices, your only chance buying new with that budget would be the yamaha stuff.

2 TT22 with 2 8004 subs will be around 8000 euro, with 9004 10000, tt10 with 8004 7000. KV2 EX with subs will be more.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 08:51:30 am »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.