ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AES PNW Section: Tea* Time Tiny Topics -- Audio Show and Tell May 30 3:15pmPDT  (Read 143 times)

Dan Mortensen

Hi Everyone,

The joy from our last meeting about Tablet Control of Digital Mixers, especially the part where you all introduced yourself and told about your interest in audio, has moved us to try another online community thing: giving everyone a forum to show what they are interested in/working on/wondered about.

The first one is going to be Saturday May 30. "Doors" are at 3:15pm PDT (GMT -7), which happens to be my tea time, hence the title. The main part of the event will start at 4, and end at 6:30. It's a bit of a new concept, so the format may evolve as we go and as needed.

There was difficulty with getting this on our website, so it only just now went out to our email list as an addition to the reminder about our meeting next week.

Below is the announcement with the Eventbrite link that you'll need to sign up. Hope to meet more of you there. As with all our events, we welcome non-member participation.

Thanks,
Dan

====================================

The Pacific Northwest Section of the Audio Engineering Society

presents

Five Minutes Max:

Tea* Time Tiny Topics
— Audio Show and Tell

A crowd-sourced series of short presentations about an aspect of audio, as selected by the presenters

A Zoom meeting, with discussions featuring YOU!

To be held on four Saturdays:

May 30
June 6
June 13
June 20

"Doors" open at 3:15pm PDT (GMT-7) for open discussion/chat

Presentations start at 4:00pm PDT, after we align our individual microphones.

Each presentation is 5 minutes maximum, followed by 5 minutes maximum of questions/discussion, followed by the next presentation.

(Subject to revision as we figure this new thing out and what we are happiest doing.)

Maximum of 11 presentations per meeting, followed by open discussion, possibly dividing into Zoom Rooms for smaller group talks.

Event will end at 6:30pm PDT sharp!

Host/Moderator will be Dan Mortensen, Dansound Inc.

Click (or below) to register at Eventbrite, must use your real name.

Once you've registered with Eventbrite, this is the Doodle link to present at the first TTTT event.

Description:

The idea behind these events is that "Audio" is a big subject with many specialties, and at our meetings we all focus together on one subject. When we do our self-introductions as part of our meetings, it's ALWAYS fascinating to hear about the kinds of things our audience members do to manifest their love of audio.

We thought it would be fun to create an event where the meeting IS the audience members' descriptions of what you do, preferably with pictures/recordings/movies or whatever will help you convey to us what you're up to/interested in/want to learn more about. You've got 5 minutes to share your screen and talk about what interests you.

We’ll run a timer so nobody monopolizes the day, and at the end of your 5 minutes there'll be up to 5 minutes of Q&A/discussion before moving to the next person.

We’re hoping that this can also be an opportunity, particularly for students, to share something you've learned about that is really cool to you, or to ask about something you’d like to know more about, subject to your 10 minute overall segment of the meeting. There should be a number of experts on hand….

You can talk about

-a book or article you've read, or
-a song you've heard that was particularly well-done or interestingly bad, or
-a project you've done or are working on, or
-an equipment rack you've put together (Dan likes gear pictures!), or
-a way you’ve mic'd something odd or interesting, or
-a speaker configuration you set up for the first time that worked well or terribly, or
-a place you went into that had a digital clock that emitted a horrible sound for anyone who could hear over 2kHz, or
-a concert you went to that sounded great or had some cool effects, or
-your inimitable cable-building techniques, or
-something you don’t understand about a common audio practice, or
-whatever! This is your chance!

Registration to attend:

You will need to register through this Eventbrite link  (also shown above) for this meeting, using your real first and last names, plus whatever nickname you prefer to be called by, if there is one. That link will have the rules that you need to obey to participate or attend, as well as a link to Doodle to sign up for a presentation slot.

There will also be a question asking if you’d like to be added to our email list so you can learn more about our Section's upcoming activities. Note that these Tea* Time Tiny events are in addition to our normal 10 times/year Section meetings and not a replacement for them.

Our Moderator/Host:

Dan Mortensen has owned his own sound reinforcement company, initially called Dan Mortensen Sound, then Dansound, now Dansound Inc., since 1973. Starting with borrowed Altec 1567A's, then kit-built Gately, then Soundcraft Series 1S and many other Soundcraft mixers including Series 5 and MH4, and now into Behringer/Midas X/M32 and other models, he has spent a lot of time mixing one-nighters in the Seattle area and, theoretically in these times, still is doing so.

Dan has been our Section Chair 8 times over 23 years, and is currently a Committee member, as well as being co-Chair of both the Historical and Sound Reinforcement Tracks at the upcoming AES Convention in New York City in October.

Footnote:

*This is Dan’s normal time for tea. You may have whatever refreshments you wish, but if you get unruly/belligerent you'll be bounced without apology.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:22:17 pm by Dan Mortensen »

gordonmcgregor

Hi Dan I signed up for the June one is it a suprise show and tell or are you going to get different subjects from each participant

Dan Mortensen

Hi Dan I signed up for the June one is it a suprise show and tell or are you going to get different subjects from each participant

Thanks, Gordon, I was going to reach out to you today to see if you'd be interested.

There's actually 3 June ones; could you have signed up for our regular meeting?

There's two signups, actually, as if it could be more confusing. The first sign up is with Eventbrite, and that gets you the Zoom link that'll be good for all four meetings.

The second signup is on Doodle to announce that you'll be presenting, with an 11 person limit. For now, I just have the May 30 Doodle up. Should I create ones for the other meetings, too? They'd have to link from the first Doodle link, since my communication method with people who register is at best indirect and not immediate (I'm not on the Eventbrite).

The announcement in this thread was hastily put together, and I was logging in now to try to get it to visually scan better. You can tell I'd be a complete Twitter failure, right?

Thanks, I look forward to talking with you again.

gordonmcgregor

Thanks, Gordon, I was going to reach out to you today to see if you'd be interested.

There's actually 3 June ones; could you have signed up for our regular meeting?

There's two signups, actually, as if it could be more confusing. The first sign up is with Eventbrite, and that gets you the Zoom link that'll be good for all four meetings.

The second signup is on Doodle to announce that you'll be presenting, with an 11 person limit. For now, I just have the May 30 Doodle up. Should I create ones for the other meetings, too? They'd have to link from the first Doodle link, since my communication method with people who register is at best indirect and not immediate (I'm not on the Eventbrite).

The announcement in this thread was hastily put together, and I was logging in now to try to get it to visually scan better. You can tell I'd be a complete Twitter failure, right?

Thanks, I look forward to talking with you again.

Where's the doodle link hiding

Dan Mortensen

Where's the doodle link hiding

In the new revised announcement above.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.