ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: AES PNW Section: Tea* Time Topics -- Audio Show and Tell JULY 11 3:15pmPDT  (Read 7441 times)

Dan Mortensen

Hi Everyone,

EDITED 5/31, 6/15, 6/21, 6/28:

At our first meeting, it became immediately clear in the first six minutes that we would not be able to present our topics in five minutes to professional audio people with anything other than the most superficial skim job, which none of us need or want.

So the presentations were each about half an hour max, were immensely enjoyable, and told us things we didn't know before. So we're going to modify the meeting concept and actualization of it.

There will someday be a Youtube video of each session, and I'll add the link to this post.

EDIT 6/29: Youtube links will be in later posts.

A quick summary:

5/30:

Gordon McGregor talked about doing live sound and staging in Glasgow, showing pictures of the gear in action;

Matt Stearns talked about audio needs for heart defibrillators and played examples of the sound of the metronome (required for medical emergency help needing repeated timed actions) in a huge variety of real world noisy and quiet situations;

Luke Pacholski (lukpac on many forums) talked about how he rebuilt the Bob Barker/game show host Sony extendable microphone (not Bob's personal one), with great pictures;

Lou Kohley showed us how he uses Mix Station on a variety of mixing platforms for live sound;

Tommaso Gambini inquired about headphones/in-ears for live recording, with good info from everyone, particularly from Gordon, Rick Chinn and Gary Louie;

Jayney Wallick talked about her inner drive/compulsion to record live concerts for the last 40 years or so to document all those shows, the archiving involved with the recordings, and her future donation of the lot to a British museum that is an extraordinary repository of recordings. Gordon said he had some there, too.

6/6:             Video here.

Gordon gave a talk about WEM gear that he has and about Charlie Watkins,

Luke talked about the making of "The Who: Live at Leeds" recordings, and

Rick Chinn, at my request, being willing to talk about what it was like being onstage as part of the crew at the Jimi Hendrix/Cactus/ Cat Mother and the All-Night Newsboys/ Rube Tuben and the Rhondonnas all day concert in Sicks Seattle baseball Stadium July 26, 1970 in Seattle. (McCune did the sound, with I think Doc Eskanazi being mixer. Doc also mixed for years at Eagles' Auditorium and did the Seattle Pop Festival the previous summer, both not with McCune AFAIK.)

6/13:

Gordon talked about the Isle of Wight festivals;

Jayney Wallick started talking about her career of doing live location recordings in the Pacific Northwest, but we had problems hearing in stereo so that was postponed till next week.

6/20:

Jayney gave her talk and shared examples of her work, which were probably better in Zoom on headphones than in person.

Gordon talked about Malcolm Hill and Hill Audio. (Gordon is getting into this, to our benefit.)

In an added bonus, Tom Fine talked about his transfers of quad-encoded LP's to digital files, and the problems involved in doing that.

6/27:

Rich Capeless talked about some fine points of (vinyl) record collecting, specifically how it's possible to find different mixes and even performances in different editions of the same record/album. He played several different recordings of the same song by the same artist on the release with the same name. He started with two mono versions and one stereo of John Coltrane's "Giant Steps", then one of my all-time favorite songs "I Only Have Eyes For You" by The Flamingos in three versions; The best sounding YouTube video of the song I could find, although the American Bandstand version was both the best looking and the weirdest.

Rich also played a few versions of other song, and you'll have to watch the upcoming video to see what they were.

We had a very spirited and interesting discussion about vinyl playback and mastering and recording methodology in which pretty much everybody contributed something.

Lou Kohley showed his methodology and results from SMAARTing Zoom, Facebook, and jit.si to see how they affect audio transmitted through them; you can see a video he previously made of the process and results HERE

Participants were participating from Scotland, Japan, and multiple parts of the USA.

We're going to take July 4 off, and resume on July 11.

I'm going to stop updating this post with new information and just add a new post at the bottom with short summaries of the last meeting and announcements of the next.

As previously mentioned, we are going to continue doing this for the rest of the summer.

Saturday afternoons, Zoom "doors" open at 3:15pm PDT, event starts at 4:00pm PDT, janitor throws everybody out at 6:30pm.

Below is the announcement with the Eventbrite link that you'll need to sign up. Hope to meet more of you there. The same Zoom link will work for all the meetings, so once you've signed up, now or previously, that's it.

As with all our Section's events, we welcome non-member participation.

Thanks,
Dan

====================================

The Pacific Northwest Section of the Audio Engineering Society

presents

One Week Max:

Tea* Time Topics
— Audio Show and Tell

A crowd-sourced series of short presentations about an aspect of audio, as selected the week before by the presenters

A Zoom meeting, with discussions featuring YOU!

Saturdays into the future
and beyond

"Doors" open at 3:15pm PDT (GMT-7) for open discussion/chat

Presentations start at 4:00pm PDT, after we align our individual microphones

(Subject to revision as we figure this new thing out and what we are happiest doing.)

Host/Moderator will be Dan Mortensen, Dansound Inc.

Click to register at this NEW Eventbrite link, must use your real name.

Description:

The idea behind these events is that "Audio" is a big subject with many specialties, and at our meetings we all focus together on one subject. When we do our self-introductions as part of our meetings, it's ALWAYS fascinating to hear about the kinds of things our audience members do to manifest their love of audio.

We thought it would be fun to create an event where the meeting IS the audience members' descriptions of what you do, preferably with pictures/recordings/movies or whatever will help you convey to us what you're up to/interested in/want to learn more about.

I'll update the post at the top to describe the events as they morph.

Registration to attend:

You will need to register through this Eventbrite link  (also shown above) for this meeting, using your real first and last names, plus whatever nickname you prefer to be called by, if there is one. That link will have the rules that you need to obey to participate or attend.

Note that these Tea* Time Topics events are in addition to our normal 10 times/year (not in July or August) Section meetings and not a replacement for them.

Footnote:

*This is Dan’s normal time for tea. You may have whatever refreshments you wish, but if you get unruly/belligerent you'll be bounced without apology.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:30:26 PM by Dan Mortensen »

gordonmcgregor

Hi Dan I signed up for the June one is it a suprise show and tell or are you going to get different subjects from each participant

Dan Mortensen

Hi Dan I signed up for the June one is it a suprise show and tell or are you going to get different subjects from each participant

Thanks, Gordon, I was going to reach out to you today to see if you'd be interested.

There's actually 3 June ones; could you have signed up for our regular meeting?

There's two signups, actually, as if it could be more confusing. The first sign up is with Eventbrite, and that gets you the Zoom link that'll be good for all four meetings.

The second signup is on Doodle to announce that you'll be presenting, with an 11 person limit. For now, I just have the May 30 Doodle up. Should I create ones for the other meetings, too? They'd have to link from the first Doodle link, since my communication method with people who register is at best indirect and not immediate (I'm not on the Eventbrite).

The announcement in this thread was hastily put together, and I was logging in now to try to get it to visually scan better. You can tell I'd be a complete Twitter failure, right?

Thanks, I look forward to talking with you again.

gordonmcgregor

Thanks, Gordon, I was going to reach out to you today to see if you'd be interested.

There's actually 3 June ones; could you have signed up for our regular meeting?

There's two signups, actually, as if it could be more confusing. The first sign up is with Eventbrite, and that gets you the Zoom link that'll be good for all four meetings.

The second signup is on Doodle to announce that you'll be presenting, with an 11 person limit. For now, I just have the May 30 Doodle up. Should I create ones for the other meetings, too? They'd have to link from the first Doodle link, since my communication method with people who register is at best indirect and not immediate (I'm not on the Eventbrite).

The announcement in this thread was hastily put together, and I was logging in now to try to get it to visually scan better. You can tell I'd be a complete Twitter failure, right?

Thanks, I look forward to talking with you again.

Where's the doodle link hiding

Dan Mortensen

Where's the doodle link hiding

In the new revised announcement above. 5/31: Not applicable anymore.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:01:44 AM by Dan Mortensen »

Dan Mortensen

So this event is tomorrow, and there is so much good information sharing here that I thought more people would want to jump in and share something.

It would need to be a LITTLE something, since the plan is for only 5 minute presentations, but a LOT of you know a lot about some things, and it would be fun to hear a part of what you know.

The links are in the first post in this thread.

Edit: Ah, and now it's on our Section's homepage

So far, I think we have:

Gordon talking about doing sound in Scotland;

Matt talking about the audio embedded in the heart-defibrillating packs like you see in airports and other places, which need to talk the random users through using them, in all variety of noisy and quiet places;

Tommaso talking about building a digitally controlled tube compressor;

Luke talking and showing how he rebuilt what looks like a vintage Sony microphone;

and two others that I'm less clear about, including if I'm doing one. I kind of want to hear from other people since I already do more than my share of spouting off.

The presentations only need to be connected to audio somehow, and via Zoom you can share pictures, movies, and/or audio.

I'm going to do a dry run today in a couple hours for a couple of those people who are less familiar with Zoom and need some reassurance. I'll talk them and you though it, if needed. It's surprising how many people need help with their Zoom audio, including me, since none of us can hear ourselves the way they have it set up.

If you want to attend that thing today, starting somewhere around 3pm PDT and ending whenever I feel like it (which will be after we're through talking), click the Eventbrite link, sign up, and you'll get the Zoom link for tomorrow's meeting, which we'll use today since Zoom is cool with that. The same link will be good for all 4 meetings.

As with this site, you do need to use your full and real first and last names. You do that in almost the first Zoom screen you see; there's something called "Screen name" or something like that which seems to be auto-filled with your computer name, so if you've left your iPad with the default "iPad", then your name is "iPad", which we don't want.

Hope to see and hear from you.

Thanks,
Dan
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:50:58 PM by Dan Mortensen »

Dan Mortensen

5/31: Updated title and OP to reflect program conceptual and content changes, with summary of first meeting.

Dan Mortensen

Hi All,

We had our second event yesterday (Saturday).

Gordon gave another really fascinating talk, this time about the history of WEM and Charlie Watkins, and showed his WEM Audiomaster mixer and Audioslave (think I have that name right) dedicated PA slave amp (no controls).

He explained the signal path through the mixer and how different units could be used as inputs with submasters, which for a while in the '60's was new and innovative and pretty cool, compared to what else was available. He talked us through the iterations of the WEM column speakers, which were short line arrays in part (speakers lined up vertically).

He also talked about the assemblage that amplified the Isle of Wight festival in 1970, for better or worse, and explained how the "worst" part was the moving of the stage to the top of a hill rather than keeping it down in a bowl, and thus made the sound problematic by the constant winds at the top which took the sound over there somewhere.

Luke talked about the recording process for The Who's "Live at Leeds" album, which overlapped with Gordon's presentation as the PA was all WEM and they each had the same picture showing the PA and stage, which was about 2/3 -- 1/3, respectively.

Luke talked us through the mic'ing (separate except for Daltrey's swinging mic), the recording mix location (downstairs), the 8 track recording setup, the setting (basically a cafeteria in the university's student union building), and showed modern pictures of the space from his visit there almost two years ago.

Rick talked about how he happened to be the backline tech for the Sicks' Seattle Stadium Jimi Hendrix/Cactus/Night Mother and the All Night Newsboys/Rube Tubin and the Rondonnas show on July 26, 1970. He was the repair technician for Bandstand East music store in Bellevue WA, which was the backline supplier, and managed to convince the client that the way to ensure that everything would work appropriately was to have a technician there. Which is, of course, something that we all take for granted now but was an innovative idea then.

Coincidentally, the manager of the music store was a musician named Larry Rickstein, aka Rube Tubin, and he managed to get his band hired to open the show.

We talked about Rick's experiences there, which were not earth-shaking but still interesting. A good time was had by all.

Our next event will be next Saturday, June 13, where we will have two presentations:

First, one of our local tapers/live concert recordists, Jayney Wallick, will talk about and play some examples of her more than 40 year dedication to that craft.

Next, Gordon and Luke again will talk about the Isle of Wight festivals, both PA and recording them, and Gary Louie will contribute examples of the films made of the festival.

Go up the page to the first post for the Eventbrite link to sign up to get the Zoom link.

Thanks for reading this.
Dan

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two

Were the talks recorded? If so, what's the link?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Dan Mortensen

Were the talks recorded? If so, what's the link?

I did a Zoom recording, and am still polishing it. My first gig since the virus hit was just postponed till next week, so I'll have time to get the video done this week. I'll post the link ITT.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: AES PNW Section: Tea* Time Topics -- Audio Show and Tell JUNE 6 3:15pmPDT
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 03:23:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 17 queries.