ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Entry-level wireless mic for exercise instruction: Shure BLX, PGDX, or...?  (Read 3387 times)

Matt Staroscik

My wife has a small hobby business doing exercise instruction. It's time to move on from the crummy Nady wireless mic we started her with, and get something more durable.

I could really use some recommendations for a quality 1 channel wireless mic for speech. I know Shure is a pretty safe bet... but I don't know the ins and outs of the lineup, or much about options in other manufacturers.

The mic will mostly be used in suburban rec rooms and yards, where even cheap Nady 900 MHz analog and digital gear has not had problems with interference. It is possible it might get taken to a downtown venue with a more hostile RF environment. Durability/reliability is more important than sound quality in this application. 

I am looking at the Shure BLX, and wondering if the PGXD is worth an extra $100. I'm open to other manufacturers if there is anything else I should consider.

Budget is up to $500. Of course I don't want to spend more than I have to, but I want a long-term investment, and I am generally happy to spend a little more for reliability and flexibility.

Thanks much if you have any guidance.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound

Samson Airline series has a few options where the transmitter is built into the headset which is preferable for fitness classes..  That's what the spin studio I go to has and it's fine.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

The all in one headset transmitter combo eliminates the failure point of a headset cable that connects to the transmitter pack, and they will fail, even faster with exercise instruction use.

If you go with the BLX get the "R" version for a better receiver.

Matt Staroscik

Thanks guys, I will investigate the all in one headset option.

Does the rackmount BLX have better electronics, or are the improvements the quality of the case and detachable antennas?

Edit to add: The Airline 99 or 88x loo like really good options. She loves the idea of no bodypack. They aren't making it easy to figure out what the differences are between their two exercise-related headsets, though. The mics have different pickup patterns but I am not sure if it really means anything.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 05:41:24 PM by Matt Staroscik »

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

Does the rackmount BLX have better electronics, or are the improvements the quality of the case and detachable antennas?

I going to say the electronics are better, the metering is handy, quality of the case is much better as are the external antennas.

Matt Staroscik

After discussing it with my "client," looks like we will try Samson. She's totally sold on the lack of a bodypack.

I am leaning towards the 88x as the headset looks more durable.

Now to figure out D (542-566 MHz) or K (470-494 MHz). Well, according to this report from Sennheiser's tool (http://sennheiser.us/freqfinder/index2.html) I at least have one slice of green in K. The data is a couple of years old but it is the best I can find.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

The data is a couple of years old but it is the best I can find.
This particular data a coupe of years old is completely useless. There has been an auction of RF spectrum and a repack of all the TV stations that will be complete July 13, and is for all intents and purposes complete now that changed all that data.

If you post the zip code you will be using the mic in someone here can check more up to date information for you.

Mac

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

This particular data a coupe of years old is completely useless. There has been an auction of RF spectrum and a repack of all the TV stations that will be complete July 13, and is for all intents and purposes complete now that changed all that data.

If you post the zip code you will be using the mic in someone here can check more up to date information for you.

Mac

You have to admit Mac, somebody outside of the business caring about frequency coordination and legality?  Be still my heart.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Matt Staroscik

That would be super helpful, thanks! I'm in 98072 and that's where the vast majority of use would be.

If it matters, nearest metro area is Bellevue WA (98004) at ~12 miles, and I am ~25 miles from Seattle (98104).

I'm a ham guy so I'm in to following rules. ;)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

That would be super helpful, thanks! I'm in 98072 and that's where the vast majority of use would be.

If it matters, nearest metro area is Bellevue WA (98004) at ~12 miles, and I am ~25 miles from Seattle (98104).

I'm a ham guy so I'm in to following rules. ;)

https://www.rabbitears.info/search.php?request=zip_search&zipcode=98072&miles=60&address=&lat=47.7742762&lon=-122.1358875&dbtype=dBm&height=

https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=35862&sorting=physical
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:26:59 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 24 queries.