ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: FM Transmission  (Read 5778 times)

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
FM Transmission
« on: May 18, 2020, 05:16:54 PM »

We have several people that are still not comfortable with entering the church building during services.  However, they come to the parking lot and we have a speaker set up outside.  We are considering the option of FM transmission, where they could set in their car and tune their radio to a frequency and hear the sermon.  Is this even a viable option?  Would I simply need a FM transmitter like the Rolls HR70 and that's it?  I'm a novice on this topic and I appreciate any feedback.  Thank you.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: FM Transmission
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 05:56:21 PM »

We have several people that are still not comfortable with entering the church building during services.  However, they come to the parking lot and we have a speaker set up outside.  We are considering the option of FM transmission, where they could set in their car and tune their radio to a frequency and hear the sermon.  Is this even a viable option?  Would I simply need a FM transmitter like the Rolls HR70 and that's it?  I'm a novice on this topic and I appreciate any feedback.  Thank you.

It will work, however...it is illegal.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/low-power-radio-general-information#UNLICENSED

As long as you are willing to take the $10,000 per occurrence fine.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 06:37:33 PM »

Hearing Assist FM systems work, see Listen Tech and Williams Sound.  Each car would buy their own receiver and plug into their car line in, or a tiny speaker and AC inverter or battery. 

A better option is WiFi-based something or other.  There are outdoor rated WAP's that can give great coverage. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 06:56:51 PM »

It will work, however...it is illegal.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/low-power-radio-general-information#UNLICENSED

As long as you are willing to take the $10,000 per occurrence fine.

Oh my goodness.  I had no idea.  Thanks for the heads up.  I will cancel this idea. 

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 07:25:54 PM »

The Rolls unit would be legal to use given that it's effective range is said to be under 200 feet.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 02:11:05 PM »

Except for latency in the parking lot wouldn't streaming be a much better idea they could pick it up in the parking lot or anywhere in the world through their smartphones
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 09:02:14 PM »

The Rolls unit would be legal to use given that it's effective range is said to be under 200 feet.

Mike, I did read that in the FCC website.  But the signal would probably be weak, I'm assuming.  Not sure if it's worth a try or not.

Kevin Graf

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 07:20:09 AM »

I don't think that the FCC is at all interested in an FM broadcast that is confined to a church parking lot.
What they are interested in is bootleg radio stations that operate at much higher power for many hours each day.
Getting the antenna cable to the center of the parking lot might be a trick.
Speedskater

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 10:33:17 AM »

This may be a long shot but here is a possible solution. Do you have a local radio station that can be picked up clearly at your church? Might they be interested in broadcasting your service live? I don’t know the details or the requirements but I understand that there is some sort of radio station public service requirements and they might fulfill part of those requirements by broadcasting your Sunday morning service live. You would just need to be able to connect to them maybe by a phone line.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »

I am far from being an expert, but as I understand the Part 15 exceptions that allow extremely low power FM broadcast band transmissions, it's not the transmit power that is the limiting factor, but the field strength as measured by a signal strength meter that is limited. That field strength is going to be the result of both the output power of the transmitter and the antenna design. So a sub-watt transmitter with a particular antenna might work, but a different antenna might exceed the limitations.

Further, the transmitting device is required to have an FCC ID. Most of those transmitters from Asian manufacturers and available all over the web don't have a valid FCC ID. You probably don't have access to a calibrated RF signal strength meter to ensure you are in compliance.

However, AM transmission may be an option. The rules for low power transmission in the AM broadcast radio band are different, apparently based on transmitter output power and antenna design rather than field strength, so it's easier to achieve compliance.

One well-known brand of AM transmitter that claims to allow legal, unlicensed broadcast is the InfOspot (formerly "Talking House") AM transmitter. I just ordered one of these for my church, because I don't want to take chances -- I want to do what is legal, not hope that I don't get caught. Maybe I'm still taking a chance, but I know the brand has been around for years and the product does have an FCC ID.

http://www.theradiosource.com/products/infospot.htm
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:26:09 AM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.