ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumbest thing you've been told  (Read 18694 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Dumbest thing you've been told
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 08:50:45 PM »

Maybe not the right forum for this, but "installations" might too narrow.
What's the DUMBEST thing you've have actually heard said by a "professional" in this business, relating to this business?
OK, so I will take it a bit away from "said by a professional", but this is how things get spread around.

If you want more power, simply take the output of a 100 watt amp and plug it into the input of another 100 watt amp and you will have a 200 watt amp.

Cardiod subs are better because they take the cancelled energy from the rear and redirect it to the front

Of course I love it when people put 2 mics on a leslie (1 each side) so they can get a better sound.  Never mind that only 1 side of the dual horn has sound coming out, so the speed is twice that what it should be---------

All eq is bad, because the changes the phase,  YES, but what if that phase change is in the BETTER position?  Such as with a single driver system, or in the middle of the bandpass?

Probably the best (no audio) was back when I was in school.. We used to repairs for the locals to get experience.

One day a guy brought in an old Black and white TV that kept popping the circuit breaker.

We took the back off and all of the tubes that had the anode on the top were broken and there was "something" all over the inside.

We asked what happened.  He said 'ol joe over on the other side of the mountain said that you could make a colored TV out of a B&W one if you knocked off the tops of those tubes and poured colored water into them-----------

NO, I DO NOT make this stuff up.

I could go on, but should probably stop now
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 08:51:47 PM »

A well known local install consultant.
"This room is too small to let the wavefront from dual 18" subs to develop properly. Use 12's"
I shit you not....
Chris.
Don't you know you can't get bass in a small room?

Really?  What about headphones, or a car?

I guess those are "different"
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 08:56:22 PM »

Well... there's the classic:  "You can blow speakers by underpowering them."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 09:46:45 PM »

This reminds me of the time back in 2008 that I went to the local music store to A/B the QSC HPR152i vs the HPR122i (both of which were on display).  I was told that both speakers were "too professional for me" and that I'd be much better served with some other Samson speaker they were trying to sell.  I left and never went back...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 11:23:27 PM »

This reminds me of the time back in 2008 that I went to the local music store to A/B the QSC HPR152i vs the HPR122i (both of which were on display).  I was told that both speakers were "too professional for me" and that I'd be much better served with some other Samson speaker they were trying to sell.  I left and never went back...

You were too professional to buy from them... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 12:00:00 AM »

I've heard all manner of stories about subs:

Horn loaded subs (Community Boxers) don't sound good up close. They need 20-30 feet to "develop".
Dual 18's go lower, dual 15's hit harder, 12's are more accurate.
Definitely heard that one about cardiod subs being twice as loud.

But my all time favorite is to watch guest engineers ask for a graphic EQ on the sub output just to draw a crossover slope on it! If you do this I won't take you seriously anymore.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

duane massey

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 12:15:03 AM »

One of my all-time favorites: In the late 70's we were hired to service an installation that was probably 6 months old in a club, disco stuff. The insaller used #22-2 zi cord for all speaker runs, some as long as 100'. We replaced the wire with #14-2 and reset the crossover/EQ. Owner was very happy. 2 weeks later we went back to fix a smoking amplifier (yep, a Phase Linear). Original installer got the on the phone to the owner while I was in his office and told the owner that the amp failed because the speaker wire was too heavy and overloaded the amplifier.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Keith Finch

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 12:50:39 AM »

Paging system request: Picture this in your mind. a square made of 10ft box truss. Hang this Square from a large crane. On each corner of the truss hang 8-Vertec 89s (32-total) for a 360deg rig, Hang each array so they point up in the air about 15deg. Raise the whole thing up about 80 feet. Quote from customer paying the bill "Sound works like a Sprinkler,  you spray it up so it will travel a longer distance then fall to the ground"  Did not work for the event, but you could hear it bounce off the morning fog as it heated up each day from 5 miles.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 03:11:07 AM »

Well... there's the classic:  "You can blow speakers by underpowering them."

I was about to add that one.

Steve.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 06:23:13 AM »

"Can you put the mixer in the room next door so we can sell more tickets?"
"Why do you need to hear the speakers, don't you know the songs?"

This was from a promoter with several years of sold-out shows to his name...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 06:23:13 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.