ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Storing Labhorns in non-climate-controlled garage in Midwest for summer  (Read 5774 times)

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA

Please don't listen to these other posts, they don't know the unique climate sensitivities of the lab sub.

We have a hermetically sealed, climatically fulfilled, bonded labhorn storage facility in our shop.  As a service to the LAB we will store them for you.

Way to be a team player and help out a fellow sound guy. Giving without any thought of reward. You should be commended!  ;D
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Jeff Bankston

Going all the way back to 1970 I never heard of storing PA speakers in climate controlled places.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ

Going all the way back to 1970 I never heard of storing PA speakers in climate controlled places.

Agreed.  It seems to be condensation, not temperature, that does bad stuff. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Incorporeal

I've found that mice like to take up residence in horn subs, especially when stored with the fold path horizontal. If possible I would store them with each of their mouths blocked by a neighboring cab (e.g., mouths facing one another). Mouths down against plywood would also work, so long as it won't warp and create a gap. Rule of thumb is if you can slide a pencil in a gap a mouse can squeeze through.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 11:26:36 PM »

I've found that mice like to take up residence in horn subs, especially when stored with the fold path horizontal. If possible I would store them with each of their mouths blocked by a neighboring cab (e.g., mouths facing one another). Mouths down against plywood would also work, so long as it won't warp and create a gap. Rule of thumb is if you can slide a pencil in a gap a mouse can squeeze through.

Please go to your profile and change your displayed name to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac
Admin

Matthias McCready

Of course, if we ever go back to work again.

This gives me an idea. Since festivities are slim, perhaps there are other lucrative options for a plethora of subs?  ???

I am thinking of some sort of mobile vengeance service, wherein an individual could pay to subject their enemies, disliked coworkers, or a competing firm to a litigious amount of bass at an inopportune time.  ;D ;D ;D

Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs

I am thinking of some sort of mobile vengeance service, wherein an individual could pay to subject their enemies, disliked coworkers, or a competing firm to a litigious amount of bass at an inopportune time.  ;D ;D ;D

I've been having thoughts like that for a long time. But the enmity toward my enemies has not yet surpassed the effort necessary to enact such a project.
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: Storing Labhorns in non-climate-controlled garage in Midwest for summer
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 03:25:58 PM »

This gives me an idea. Since festivities are slim, perhaps there are other lucrative options for a plethora of subs?  ???

I can't find the article right now, but a couple years ago, someone up in the Bay Area put a big Meyer rig on a flatbed and parked it around town playing airport noise to protest a new airport expansion.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 11:14:15 AM »

Not sure this is an issue with modern drivers but back in the day it was an issue for large cone woofers for the cones to sag when the cone was perpendicular to the ground. It was recommended for installs like movie theaters  that the woofers be flipped every year or two. I do remember that cone surround  damping goo would run down to the lowest point of the surround on large JBL 15s like 2225s if they weren't flipped occasionally.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 07:08:55 AM »

I do remember that cone surround  damping goo would run down to the lowest point of the surround on large JBL 15s like 2225s if they weren't flipped occasionally.

The woofers on my Altec Nineteens definitely exhibit this.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 07:08:55 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.