ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer-based Dante mixer for mixing broadcast feed?  (Read 4044 times)

Justin Quinn

Re: Computer-based Dante mixer for mixing broadcast feed?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 10:33:15 AM »

I'd flip the problem on its head: What are you still mixing on the house board? Do you have an in person audience, monitors, ...?

My church had one week where we still were on site but no audience and for that week the FOH mixer took the broadcast feel less ambience mic's.
We never closed.  We are having in-person attendance, over 100 each service.

Justin Quinn

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 11:25:59 AM »

Do you have enough console channels to digitally split the inputs?  For example: FOH mixes on 1-16, Broadcast mixes on 17-32?   Sometimes I do this when I have to mix monitors from FOH.  Other than head amp gain, nothing is shared.  Would be similar to the DAW solution and Virtual Sound Card, but would keep you on hardware.
No, we're using just about all 32 for various purposes.

Justin Quinn

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »

OP, do you have Protools already? Or the ProTools HD hardware at all?
I have a Pro Tools subscription and experience with the platform.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 07:58:12 PM »

I have a Pro Tools subscription and experience with the platform.

Unfortunately Dante Via is not the product you need. It is limited to 16x16 channels.

Virtual Soundcard can do 64x64, but I'm not sure how you would route the inputs from the console to DVS dante outputs that can be picked up by another computer.

It would be much cheaper to buy a splitter and a simple analog console (Or cheap digital) and do the broadcast mix on that. Split the inputs either at the stage or at the console then run a copper snake to some other room where you can have a desk and some cheapish studio monitors. You would need an assortment of comps gates and maybe a reverb or two. Or you could buy another persons desk. Maybe a used one. I only suggest that because ya'll would already be used to the presonus workflow.

Another option is to stop using VIA to bring in inputs to the desk over USB. Bring those into the desk via analog signals. Maybe through a sub mixer. That frees up the USB port for another computer which can run your choose of DAW with which you could use for a broadcast mixer.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 07:58:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.