ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer-based Dante mixer for mixing broadcast feed?  (Read 4041 times)

Justin Quinn

Computer-based Dante mixer for mixing broadcast feed?
« on: May 12, 2020, 10:18:33 PM »

Covid... thou are the new mother of invention.

Small/medium church setting... 400 seats.  Budget is tight.

We're looking to improve the live stream audio feed.  We're currently feeding the broadcast audio from a stereo aux off the console but we've moved one of our more experienced sound people to a separate room where they are remotely controlling the console (that broadcast aux send, specifically) and listening to the broadcast feed over Dante on a pair of studio monitors.

The issue is that... obviously both the broadcast feed and house feed are sharing EQ and dynamics.  Ideally we would just use 2 separate consoles, I know- but we can't afford another console for broadcast for the moment.  Therefore I was wondering if there was some computer-based virtual console that we could use to input Dante feeds from the FOH console, create a mix with separate EQ and dynamics, then spit out a stereo Dante feed for broadcast and distribution.

Sounds a lot like Emotion LV1, but that's a Soundgrid-based system and I can't seem to find an affordable, sanctioned way to get Dante into and out of Emotion (unless virtual soundcard or Dante Via is used... haven't played too hard with those options yet... but janky solutions are somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine)

Any suggestions or janky "solutions" are appreciated.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Computer-based Dante mixer for mixing broadcast feed?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 10:27:06 PM »

We're looking to improve the live stream audio feed.  We're currently feeding the broadcast audio from a stereo aux off the console but we've moved one of our more experienced sound people to a separate room where they are remotely controlling the console (that broadcast aux send, specifically) and listening to the broadcast feed over Dante on a pair of studio monitors.

The issue is that... obviously both the broadcast feed and house feed are sharing EQ and dynamics.  Ideally we would just use 2 separate consoles, I know- but we can't afford another console for broadcast for the moment.  Therefore I was wondering if there was some computer-based virtual console that we could use to input Dante feeds from the FOH console, create a mix with separate EQ and dynamics, then spit out a stereo Dante feed for broadcast and distribution.

Sounds a lot like Emotion LV1, but that's a Soundgrid-based system and I can't seem to find an affordable, sanctioned way to get Dante into and out of Emotion (unless virtual soundcard or Dante Via is used... haven't played too hard with those options yet... but janky solutions are somewhat of a guilty pleasure of mine)

Janky Solution number one:  Dante Virtual Soundcard into a computer of your choice and then mix in the DAW of your choice and output using same Dante Virtualize Soundcard.  I know of several churches that do just this.  Latency can sometimes be an issue, but since we usually have to add delay to audio to match up to video it's usually a solvable problem.

Janky Solution number two:  X32 format of your choice with a Dante Card.  This assumes that 32 channels of Dante input is enough to do what you need.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 01:34:54 AM »

Yeah. Any DAW out there can be made into a “live” mixer. I use Reaper and people do this all the time. A lot of guys on the cockos forum will take a reaper rig to mix bands live.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 04:03:03 AM »

Yeah. Any DAW out there can be made into a “live” mixer. I use Reaper and people do this all the time. A lot of guys on the cockos forum will take a reaper rig to mix bands live.

What kind of console and stage box do you have now?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 02:37:28 PM »

At our Church we have Yamaha CL’s and Rio racks. All over a Dante network.

But basically if you can get audio into a computer you can mix “in the box” using a DAW. Probably the most common is using the X32 as a front end.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Rick Earl

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 05:00:14 PM »

Do you have enough console channels to digitally split the inputs?  For example: FOH mixes on 1-16, Broadcast mixes on 17-32?   Sometimes I do this when I have to mix monitors from FOH.  Other than head amp gain, nothing is shared.  Would be similar to the DAW solution and Virtual Sound Card, but would keep you on hardware.

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 05:33:33 PM »

I'd flip the problem on its head: What are you still mixing on the house board? Do you have an in person audience, monitors, ...?

My church had one week where we still were on site but no audience and for that week the FOH mixer took the broadcast feel less ambience mic's.

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 07:00:55 PM »

Waves sells a Dante to SoundGrid bridge (Hear Technologies). But LV1 is really not the right way to go if budget is tight.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 09:07:39 PM »

Waves sells a Dante to SoundGrid bridge (Hear Technologies). But LV1 is really not the right way to go if budget is tight.

OP, do you have Protools already? Or the ProTools HD hardware at all?

Justin Quinn

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 09:56:57 AM »

Scott, please don't be disappointed in me as this is where the jank beings.  The console is a Studiolive Series III 32, no stagebox.  The Dante? It's coming from a computer running Via connected to the console via USB (yes... yes I know).  The Dante deployment was originally to simplify the connection of multiple playback computers and transport of multiple channels to and from the streaming machine.  It's been stable so far and the latency (avg. 8ms) isn't an issue with what we're using it for.

Justin Quinn

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 10:33:15 AM »

I'd flip the problem on its head: What are you still mixing on the house board? Do you have an in person audience, monitors, ...?

My church had one week where we still were on site but no audience and for that week the FOH mixer took the broadcast feel less ambience mic's.
We never closed.  We are having in-person attendance, over 100 each service.

Justin Quinn

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 11:25:59 AM »

Do you have enough console channels to digitally split the inputs?  For example: FOH mixes on 1-16, Broadcast mixes on 17-32?   Sometimes I do this when I have to mix monitors from FOH.  Other than head amp gain, nothing is shared.  Would be similar to the DAW solution and Virtual Sound Card, but would keep you on hardware.
No, we're using just about all 32 for various purposes.

Justin Quinn

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 11:26:46 AM »

OP, do you have Protools already? Or the ProTools HD hardware at all?
I have a Pro Tools subscription and experience with the platform.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 07:58:12 PM »

I have a Pro Tools subscription and experience with the platform.

Unfortunately Dante Via is not the product you need. It is limited to 16x16 channels.

Virtual Soundcard can do 64x64, but I'm not sure how you would route the inputs from the console to DVS dante outputs that can be picked up by another computer.

It would be much cheaper to buy a splitter and a simple analog console (Or cheap digital) and do the broadcast mix on that. Split the inputs either at the stage or at the console then run a copper snake to some other room where you can have a desk and some cheapish studio monitors. You would need an assortment of comps gates and maybe a reverb or two. Or you could buy another persons desk. Maybe a used one. I only suggest that because ya'll would already be used to the presonus workflow.

Another option is to stop using VIA to bring in inputs to the desk over USB. Bring those into the desk via analog signals. Maybe through a sub mixer. That frees up the USB port for another computer which can run your choose of DAW with which you could use for a broadcast mixer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 07:58:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.