ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color ID for microphones  (Read 2916 times)

Jason Simms

Color ID for microphones
« on: May 08, 2020, 05:52:38 PM »

I recently started going to a new church and getting involved with their sound.
They recently got a Behringer X32. We got it installed and now I would like to identify the mics with color bands.
I dont like to use tape. It gets sticky and doesnt always last very long.
At another church I found some colored caps that replaced the battery covers but those were Shure mics. The church I at now has Sennheiser XS wireless. I didnt find any other information. The receivers are in a rack and couldnt see the name plate.
I did find something for Sennheiser called Ken2 for gen2 mics.
Does anyone know if Ken2 will fit all models of Sennheiser or any other products that may fit something other than colored tape?

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Color ID for microphones
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 07:34:20 PM »

Maybe something like this? https://www.audiopile.net/XXR
This space for rent

Jason Simms

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 08:07:26 PM »

Maybe something like this? https://www.audiopile.net/XXR

Ive seen a few of these but I thought they would be too small for the mics since they are for cabled.
Ive never used them though.
Have you used them before? Would they stretch enough to fit around the mics?

TomBoisseau

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 09:22:45 PM »

I recently started going to a new church and getting involved with their sound.
They recently got a Behringer X32. We got it installed and now I would like to identify the mics with color bands.
I dont like to use tape. It gets sticky and doesnt always last very long.
At another church I found some colored caps that replaced the battery covers but those were Shure mics. The church I at now has Sennheiser XS wireless. I didnt find any other information. The receivers are in a rack and couldnt see the name plate.
I did find something for Sennheiser called Ken2 for gen2 mics.
Does anyone know if Ken2 will fit all models of Sennheiser or any other products that may fit something other than colored tape?

Personally I think color coding looks pretty tacky.  Usually I put a number on each mic with a P-Touch labeler, and tell the vocalists to grab the corresponding number.  That being said, if you buy the good 3M electrical tape, it stays on quite well and any sticky residue (of which there is very little) is easily removable.  One church I've been working with for the las 10 years has been doing just that and it's worked out quite well.

Of course you could go to the extreme and buy those big "sherbet" colored foam windscreens.  Oh I cringe every time I see those!  :o

Tom

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 10:00:27 PM »

So far I've been having decent luck with this tape: 3M STD-C WIRE MARKER TAPE

It's not elastic so it doesn't shrink back down over time, and it's thin enough that--though easily seen by an artist picking out the mic--it's not obnoxious looking from the audience.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 11:15:47 PM »

Ive seen a few of these but I thought they would be too small for the mics since they are for cabled.
Ive never used them though.
Have you used them before? Would they stretch enough to fit around the mics?

I have not, I'm just aware of them as a resource.  But W. Mark Hellinger, the owner, is both knowledgable and approachable.  Ping him here or at the website for some quick answers.

(How do you tag someone so they get a notification?)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 11:18:48 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 06:46:22 PM »

Of course you could go to the extreme and buy those big "sherbet" colored foam windscreens.  Oh I cringe every time I see those!  :o

Oh please no, those need to die a fiery death.  Preferably with gasoline and liquid oxygen. 

If you're going for semi-permanent - label maker with, say, black or white text on clear tape - covered by clear heat shrink.  Whatever letters/numbers should match up with the Rx and console input labeling. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jason Simms

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 08:52:55 PM »

Oh please no, those need to die a fiery death.  Preferably with gasoline and liquid oxygen. 

If you're going for semi-permanent - label maker with, say, black or white text on clear tape - covered by clear heat shrink.  Whatever letters/numbers should match up with the Rx and console input labeling.
Yeah I definitely dont want the wind screens.
I ended up just using the 3M tape.
I did call Sweet Water and ask them if the Ken2 colored caps work on the Sennheiser mics I have they didnt know and are going to get back with me.
The ones for the Shure mics are nice.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 09:17:25 AM »

Usually I put a number on each mic with a P-Touch labeler, and tell the vocalists to grab the corresponding number.

And you've had good luck with vocalists always grabbing the correct mic and not passing it off to another person on their way off stage?  Maybe post-COVID that can work better but, in my experience, color coding provides the higher degree of success - especially in Q&A sessions, where mics may leapfrog across rooms.

Speaking of across rooms, only a few colors are actually visible from 50 - 100' away.  Maybe my older eyes are a factor, but differentiating a Blue mic from a Green mic from the FOH console can be difficult.  Choose contrasting colors whenever possible.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 09:17:25 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.