ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live recording with X32 into Reaper  (Read 4021 times)

John Abercrombie

Live recording with X32 into Reaper
« on: May 04, 2020, 04:22:50 PM »

Our church wants to record 32 channels from the X32 into Reaper.  I set it up according to Drew Brashler's video for the virtual mix.  It records fine except I cannot play the project into the computer headphones for checking the project.  I set up another computer with a copy of Reaper and brought the project over to that computer, but still I cannot get the project to play in the computer's speakers or headphones.  I am attempting to use the computer's built in sound board in both cases. Help!

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Live recording with X32 into Reaper
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 06:20:37 PM »

Our church wants to record 32 channels from the X32 into Reaper.  I set it up according to Drew Brashler's video for the virtual mix.  It records fine except I cannot play the project into the computer headphones for checking the project.  I set up another computer with a copy of Reaper and brought the project over to that computer, but still I cannot get the project to play in the computer's speakers or headphones.  I am attempting to use the computer's built in sound board in both cases. Help!

That could be one of several things.
1. Is the Reaper audio device set to the local computer sound card when you want to listen through the computer speakers or headphone jack?
2. It might be that in Reaper, the individual tracks are not routed to the Master. Does the Master bus show signal?
3. It's also possible the Master does not have an output set. Click on "Route" on the master track and make sure a hardware output is set.

Bill Meeks

• Vidalia, Georgia - USA
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 07:18:12 PM »

I agree with what Corey said.

Note that Reaper will, by default, assume you want to output the audio via the same device you recorded it from. So if that was a multichannel USB interface, then Reaper will want to send it back out the same way. That would likely be to your X32 board. Same thing if use Dante Virtual Soundcard.

You will need to reconfigure Reaper to use either your "default" sound driver or DirectSound if using Windows in order to hear the tracks on the PC's speakers or headphones.

John Abercrombie

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 09:36:33 PM »

1. Is the Reaper audio device set to the local computer sound card when you want to listen through the computer speakers or headphone jack?
2. It might be that in Reaper, the individual tracks are not routed to the Master. Does the Master bus show signal?
3. It's also possible the Master does not have an output set. Click on "Route" on the master track and make sure a hardware output is set.
Thank you.  I will try these things.  I know it must be something simple, I just haven't found it.

John Abercrombie

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 09:41:31 PM »

I agree with what Corey said.

Note that Reaper will, by default, assume you want to output the audio via the same device you recorded it from. So if that was a multichannel USB interface, then Reaper will want to send it back out the same way. That would likely be to your X32 board. Same thing if use Dante Virtual Soundcard.

You will need to reconfigure Reaper to use either your "default" sound driver or DirectSound if using Windows in order to hear the tracks on the PC's speakers or headphones.

Do I need to configure reaper to use the onboard sound driver or direct sound before I record, or can it be changed when I go to edit a project?  With the X32 I currently have the outputs configured to go to 1-32 on the X32.  Can I just reconfigure the output to direct sound and then it will record all 32 channels but play them back through the sound card, or do I need to do something with directing the Master to the headphones?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 12:04:07 AM »

Do I need to configure reaper to use the onboard sound driver or direct sound before I record, or can it be changed when I go to edit a project?  With the X32 I currently have the outputs configured to go to 1-32 on the X32.  Can I just reconfigure the output to direct sound and then it will record all 32 channels but play them back through the sound card, or do I need to do something with directing the Master to the headphones?

Reaper does not allow you to choose a separate input and output device. If your X32 is your input device, it also must be your output device.

Given the X32 is your output device, you have a couple of options:
1. Stereo master bus from Reaper back to the X32 mapped to Aux inputs. This lets you listen to Reaper's mix on the X32.
2. Full 32-channel Virtual Sound Check set up where you switch routing on the X32 from its normal inputs to all Card inputs and your tracks match 1:1. This is slightly more complex.

For option 1:
- Set your Master bus in Reaper to output to channels 1&2. This should be the default setting already.
- On the X32 under Routing / Inputs. Set the Aux In Remap to Card 1-2
When you play back from Reaper, the X32 gets the Reaper mix on Aux 1 & 2.

For option 2:
- Delete the Hardware Output on the Master bus in Reaper (or just mute it).
- Add a Hardware Output on every track in Reaper assigned to its corresponding channel. This takes some time. You might want to save a Reaper template for this after setting it up.
- On the X32 there's an option for separate Record and Play routing settings. Set Record to your normal routing. Set Play to route card inputs 1-32 to channels 1-32. Swap between the Record and Play routing presets to switch between live inputs (Record mode) and recorded inputs (Play mode).
This option gives you a full Virtual Sound Check. That means you can have a full band recording on Reaper, play it back through the X32, and mix it as if the band were performing. This is quite a powerful tool for practicing mixing or perfecting a mix between several performances without requiring the band to be present.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 10:30:58 PM »

Reaper does not allow you to choose a separate input and output device. If your X32 is your input device, it also must be your output device.

Given the X32 is your output device, you have a couple of options:
1. Stereo master bus from Reaper back to the X32 mapped to Aux inputs. This lets you listen to Reaper's mix on the X32.
2. Full 32-channel Virtual Sound Check set up where you switch routing on the X32 from its normal inputs to all Card inputs and your tracks match 1:1. This is slightly more complex.

For option 1:
- Set your Master bus in Reaper to output to channels 1&2. This should be the default setting already.
- On the X32 under Routing / Inputs. Set the Aux In Remap to Card 1-2
When you play back from Reaper, the X32 gets the Reaper mix on Aux 1 & 2.

For option 2:
- Delete the Hardware Output on the Master bus in Reaper (or just mute it).
- Add a Hardware Output on every track in Reaper assigned to its corresponding channel. This takes some time. You might want to save a Reaper template for this after setting it up.
- On the X32 there's an option for separate Record and Play routing settings. Set Record to your normal routing. Set Play to route card inputs 1-32 to channels 1-32. Swap between the Record and Play routing presets to switch between live inputs (Record mode) and recorded inputs (Play mode).
This option gives you a full Virtual Sound Check. That means you can have a full band recording on Reaper, play it back through the X32, and mix it as if the band were performing. This is quite a powerful tool for practicing mixing or perfecting a mix between several performances without requiring the band to be present.

This is all great info.

Just want to add one thing.  On a Mac you can take multiple I/O devices and create an Aggregate Device and then pick that Aggregate device in Reaper and then you can have a different Input device from your Output.  But it's a little complicated.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 02:40:27 PM »

This is all great info.

Just want to add one thing.  On a Mac you can take multiple I/O devices and create an Aggregate Device and then pick that Aggregate device in Reaper and then you can have a different Input device from your Output.  But it's a little complicated.

I believe that will resample all the slave devices to resolve differences in sampling between them and the master device.

John Abercrombie

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 01:16:09 PM »

Thanks for putting me on to this.  It was in the routing matrix.  I went in and selected each of the 32 channels for the input to be routed to the master, and Hallelujah, I could hear every track and am now able to mix.  Thanks for your help!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 01:16:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.