ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What jobs will you take?  (Read 9922 times)

Robert Lunceford

What jobs will you take?
« on: May 05, 2020, 08:10:59 PM »

Just curious if any of you would feel comfortable at this point in time to take a sound reinforcement job. If so, what kind of a job would you feel safe doing? Bar gig, concert hall, outdoor concert, church service, etc? What precautions will you take? Personal protective gear? Sanitizing equipment?

I read that under Missouri's "Show Me Strong" policy, ALL businesses have been allowed to open. This includes music venues.

I am thankful that all of my clients have pulled the plug and canceled all events through at least October. It is hard to imagine that with the number of cases still rising that some states are relaxing their control measures. There are more people walking around infected with the virus than ever.

I hope that you and yours are all doing well.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: What jobs will you take?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 11:38:55 PM »

I don't do bar gigs for the most part and would decline one now.  The rest is "it depends."  Do I directly interact with few people?  Is my work place & gear clean and sanitary and can I keep it that way?  My own coms headset, talkback mic, headphones... I'd expect the person or company I'm working for to provide PPE and instructions for when/how to use.

It will be 8 weeks or so before we know the full impact of the rush to re-open.  No reason to think it will work out well and the result may well be another round of stay at home.  If that happens, we are "phucked" as Ron Hebbard would say.  So that's wave 1.5.  Wave 2.0 is said to likely be worse than 1.0 and arrive in late Sept.  Plus the seasonal flu is coming right after that.  Whether or not we've better public health preparation by then is an open question.

That said, I'm for doing shows where it's possible to maintain adequate distancing, use of masks and as 'touchless' as concessions, merch and seating can be for the customers and venue staff.... when the performers and their crew can have dedicated space, where local crew can be accommodated, when my crew have reasonable certainty that adequate infection control practices are in place.  I'd expect the big issues for artists and promoters are 1) how do you make an offer on a show that may have significantly fewer tickets available than the stipulated capacity of the venue and 2) who's selling insurance to protect the artist, promoter, venue, and others?  Once we're above the bar level those are the beginning of potential detours in getting a show on the road.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 12:02:46 AM »

I’d shoot pyro since 1123 already mandates extreme social distancing when doing that, but that’s probably about it.  I’m very thankful that I still have a day job and consistent income, so I don’t need gigs to pay bills and can thus be more picky.  Otherwise I’m in agreement with Tim - it depends.  I don’t do bars or clubs regardless.  Movie in the park?  Probably.  Anything with lots of equipment touching by others?  I’ll pass.  For jobs beyond “medium” in size I’d need to find enough crew that’s also comfortable with working, so there’s that factor as well...

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 12:34:15 AM »

Tim, thank you for your response and your insight. You are way above the “lounge” level (maybe you do some lounge stuff as well?) My question was more for my peers in the lounge, the guys that haul equipment, set up, run the system, interact with the performers.  Also the house techs and band engineers that handle equipment and have close interactions with other persons. 

Mal Brown

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 02:38:54 AM »

I'll do shows after there is a proven effective vaccine.  In thr mean time, if any of my long time clients are silly enough to go, I'll try to find subs and expect to recompete...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 02:40:24 AM »

Tim, thank you for your response and your insight. You are way above the “lounge” level (maybe you do some lounge stuff as well?) My question was more for my peers in the lounge, the guys that haul equipment, set up, run the system, interact with the performers.  Also the house techs and band engineers that handle equipment and have close interactions with other persons.

Same basic considerations apply - am I reasonably assured that others involved in the show/event/service take this at least as seriously as I do?  Are we all on the same page about what the practice of "safer sound" looks like?  Is it possible to maintain reasonable social distancing in the setup, operation and strike of the system?  Am I sanitizing mics, stands, booms... the things the 'artists' touch continually?  I should bring and use the PPE required or suggested by local or state AHJ.  What does the act, venue and promoter expect of me in helping protect the talent, staff, myself and public?  Show size or stature is mostly irrelevant, but it's important because the Lounge level shows will be the first to come back.  As you point out this is about keeping all of US safer, too.

The concepts of less face to face contact, the less touching of others, the less contact with surfaces of unknown sanitation, the fewer people that handle a given object, etc apply whether you're doing a spaced coffee shop performance, a panel discussion for webcast, or an Arts in the Park day.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Marr

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 08:21:06 AM »

I'm a musician and provide sound for my band (I know others in here do the same).
I doubt I'll be on a stage in 2020.  Unlikely bars/clubs I play at will open if only allowed 50% or less capacity.
And if they do, even more unlikely they'll still pay enough for me to risk being out.  I fully expect all bar/club owners to haircut pay until they feel financially secure again.  Thankfully, I can wait 18 months to gig again.  Gigs money is great, but not required (unless of course my day job goes down hill).
My band members all have kids/families, so nobody is going to jump out on the scene for 50% pay with 100% more risk.
Only caveat would be if antibody tests become common enough and I feel confident that myself and my family are not as vulnerable.

Rick Powell

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 11:39:55 AM »

We didn't book a lot of festivals this year, but it looks like half to all of them won't be happening anyway. The first phase of bar openings here looks like limited to 50 ppl max, so that will probably cancel any band gigs. We have 3 weddings lined up with the first one in July, i have the most hope for those actually happening...we'll see what the social distance protocol is at that time, if they happen. A lot of people inquiring about parties in the fall, trying to outguess the resumption of near normal.

John L Nobile

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 12:10:35 PM »

Only caveat would be if antibody tests become common enough

I think that's a very important test. From what I've read, there's a lot more people that had the virus and recovered than the numbers show and that it started months earlier than previously thought.

I was sick all of January. Started with pneumonia and ended with a pulmonary embolism that had me rushed to the hospital a few weeks later. I didn't think about Covid-19 before but now that I'm hearing of possible cases appearing in January, I'm starting to wonder if that's what I had. And a lot of my friends are telling me the same thing. They were sick earlier and are wondering the same.

An accurate antibody test would probably find a lot of people that can go about as normal. Unfortunately, it seems the tests were rushed and are not accurate or unavailable at the present time.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 01:07:52 PM »

If so, what kind of a job would you feel safe doing? Bar gig, concert hall, outdoor concert, church service, etc?

Until we get an effective treatment or vaccine, the only thing on that list I'd consider doing is outdoors - not concert size, but club size and complying with covid mandates. And I think there's a good chance that will happen before summer's over.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 01:07:52 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.