Church and H.O.W. Ė Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

X32 to iPad while recording video

(1/3) > >>

Curtis McGill:
I need help. Our church is going to pre-record the music and the message for the first time this week. I am looking for the simplest way to take the audio out from the X32 to my iPad while recording video simultaneously.

I have played with taking the monitor out to my iPad using dual quarter inch to trrs. That seems to be okay if I don't the monitor level turned up too much.

We have a Compact X32.
S16 on stage running to the board.
We are using 15 channels on the S16.
Pastors mics are plugged in channels 17-19 at the board.
iPad is in the back at the board.

I don't know a whole lot about sound. Just enough to set levels, adjust a little EQ, balance sound, etc.

Open to advice, videos, input, where to read, etc.

This is the only option we have at this point. I realize we could just use the iPad alone but I know the sound will not be as good.

Tonight I tried it with my voice, guitar, and pads and it sounded reasonable. Will adding more instruments and voices distort the audio going into the iPad?

Corey Scogin:
You'll need an audio interface made for iOS devices that accepts a line-level (+4 dbu) signal.

Or you could just record the audio using the onboard USB 2-track on the X32 and sync the audio and video using video editing software after recording. That would be my preferred method. Then you don't have to worry about getting a reasonably loud signal without clipping. You can EQ and compress in post.

Curtis McGill:
Thank you. If I were to record the audio and video separately what is a reliable and free program to use for syncing them on Windows? Iíve looked at a few videos and it seems reasonable enough.

Also, if I stayed with my first option would the RCA aux outs (5/6) have the same line level signal as the monitor outs? Again, Iím learning - and quickly.

Corey Scogin:

--- Quote from: Curtis McGill on May 05, 2020, 08:10:24 am ---Thank you. If I were to record the audio and video separately what is a reliable and free program to use for syncing them on Windows? Iíve looked at a few videos and it seems reasonable enough.

Also, if I stayed with my first option would the RCA aux outs (5/6) have the same line level signal as the monitor outs? Again, Iím learning - and quickly.

--- End quote ---

I don't have a solid suggestion for a free video editor on Windows but a quick Internet search yields a few options.

RCA connectors typically carry -10 dbu (consumer line-level) signals. It would be better to use one of those if going into the built-in input on an iPad. However I would still not trust that set up because you have no way to monitor the audio signal coming into the iPad. You could be clipping the input drastically, leading to an unusable recording, and never know. If it's a one-shot deal with no editing in post, you must have the ability to monitor and adjust on the fly or risk having to do it all over again.

The ability to edit in post will greatly increase your flexibility when shooting. You can do retakes in case of performer mistakes or your mistakes. You can shoot a segment then review to ensure it's being recorded properly.

I'd highly recommend asking around to borrow or rent a camera with professional audio inputs and metering as well as a tripod. I know it's a lot of money but for the price of a new iPhone, you can buy an entry level video camera with XLR audio inputs such as the Canon XA series.

Curtis McGill:
Here's an option that I am considering too... Can I route the Mains from the Compact X32 to the USB card out (post fader?) so that I can record audio and video from the same iPad simultaneously? I have a USB adapter for the iPad. I just don't understand a thing about the routing process. I need someone to walk me through step by step.

BTW, I am planning on recording the audio and video separately and then trying to sync them after. I am just lacking confidence and experience at this point so I am trying to prepare a backup.

Thank you for the help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version