ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: XR18 simple control surface suggestion  (Read 19340 times)

duane massey

Re: XR18 simple control surface suggestion
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2020, 12:02:15 AM »

Okay, time for the inexperienced to ask the younger and smarter group for some help. Got the X-Touch Mini today (thank you, Seetwater) and I suspect I am missing something. Here's my set-up: XR-18 connected via ethernet to a Toshiba laptop (Win 7); Mini is connected to the laptop via USB. Do I need to do anything else to make the Mini talk to the laptop/XR-18? I am perfectly happy just using the Mini for 8 channels volume only plus the master slider. Thanks.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2020, 08:38:36 AM »

Faders? Is there a version with faders too?
All I could see is one with encoders.

Functional equivalent of motorized faders, without the expense or maintenance of motors.
They're endless encoders which are also push switches, with an LED ring to indicate position and color change to indicate state.
I prefer them to linear faders in many ways.
No calibration issues. No dust issues.
No hanging up a fader because my hand was in the wrong place during a page change.
None of that jitter trying to move paired faders.
You can do whatever you want with the controls.
The resolution can be velocity sensitive.
The switches can be toggles or momentary.
The encoders can be center +/- for panpots or EQ gain, with a state indicate for the center position.
USB powered. This and an Ipad Mini running Mixing Station is a fully untethered FOH position.
I have a proof of concept scene built that handles 48 channels of faders and mutes on 3 pages,
plus a single page that does Gain, HPF freq & bypass, Comp thresh & bypass, Pan, and 4 bands of EQ Freq, BW, and Gain, all in a 6" square.
Each page calls up the matching 16 channels in Mixing Station.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Jon Dees

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2020, 09:10:15 AM »

Okay, time for the inexperienced to ask the younger and smarter group for some help. Got the X-Touch Mini today (thank you, Seetwater) and I suspect I am missing something. Here's my set-up: XR-18 connected via ethernet to a Toshiba laptop (Win 7); Mini is connected to the laptop via USB. Do I need to do anything else to make the Mini talk to the laptop/XR-18? I am perfectly happy just using the Mini for 8 channels volume only plus the master slider. Thanks.

Easy:
Buy Mixing Station for Windows and use it to translate X-Touch Mini MIDI to XR18 MIDI. No idea if it works on Win7. In the Mixing Station settings you map all functions that you care to from the Mini to the XR18.

Harder:
Use Behringer editor software to edit the profile in the Mini to what the XR18 wants to see and then pass the MIDI thru using a MIDI router, e.g., Soundigy (never used it, just googled it). This would be ‘free’ in terms of dollars.

I would strongly recommend the easy option. Your time is worth the $20.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2020, 09:19:55 AM »

I think in X-air edit go to setup and under the Audio/Midi tab you need to select something in the Midi config section. I played with this a long time ago and don’t remember exactly how to do it. But I am pretty sure you need to have the XR-18 and the Midi device hooked up and on as you have it and then some of the options are able to be changed. 

And you can customize the setting of what the Mini is controlling with X-Touch Edit. I think you may need to not have the XR18 connected when you try and run X-Touch edit.

duane massey

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2020, 11:03:19 AM »

I am confused. Do I also need a MIDI cable, or should the laptop-XR18 via ethernet be sufficient? Documentation from Behringer is pathetic.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2020, 11:14:03 AM »

I am confused. Do I also need a MIDI cable, or should the laptop-XR18 via ethernet be sufficient? Documentation from Behringer is pathetic.

The Mini has a USB cable or connector I can’t remember which one it is. That needs to connect to a USB port on your computer. Then from an Ethernet port on your computer to the XR-18. The Mini is controlling the X-Air edit app and the X-Air edit app is controlling your XR18.

duane massey

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2020, 11:22:37 AM »

The Mini has a USB cable or connector I can’t remember which one it is. That needs to connect to a USB port on your computer. Then from an Ethernet port on your computer to the XR-18. The Mini is controlling the X-Air edit app and the X-Air edit app is controlling your XR18.
That's what I thought, and how I have it hooked up. Should I be using Mackie protocol?
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2020, 11:40:20 AM »

Functional equivalent of motorized faders, without the expense or maintenance of motors.
They're endless encoders which are also push switches, with an LED ring to indicate position and color change to indicate state.
No hanging up a fader because my hand was in the wrong place during a page change.
The encoders can be center +/- for panpots or EQ gain, with a state indicate for the center position.
USB powered. This and an Ipad Mini running Mixing Station is a fully untethered FOH position.
I have a proof of concept scene built that handles 48 channels of faders and mutes on 3 pages,
plus a single page that does Gain, HPF freq & bypass, Comp thresh & bypass, Pan, and 4 bands of EQ Freq, BW, and Gain, all in a 6" square.

So no motorized faders then? ;-)
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2020, 12:45:08 PM »

Had a lighting desk years ago with linear endless encoders.  Like little miniature conveyor belts made out of translucent rubber-type material and a row of led's below them.  Kind of surprised I haven't seen something like that show up on modern desks yet. 
Motorized faders have now probably become a cheaper and simpler mass-produced commodity product now (and not the huge clunky expensive mechanisms I remember from flying-fader automation on 80's studio desks.) 
Just easier to give us customers what we expect and want then try to force something new on us.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Jon Dees

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2020, 01:09:36 PM »

That's what I thought, and how I have it hooked up. Should I be using Mackie protocol?

X-Air-Edit does not implement the MIDI fader control that X32-Edit does, so you can’t just rely on X-Air-Edit. You have to use another app, like Mixing Station (see above).

No additional cords needed. Mixing Station and X-Air-Edit send all commands over Ethernet (or USB if hooked up).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2020, 01:09:36 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.