ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: XR18 simple control surface suggestion  (Read 19731 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: XR18 simple control surface suggestion
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2020, 01:44:43 PM »

i've no idea what that means.  i haven't actually explored this since i don't have an XR18, XTouch Mini, or Windows computer.  :)

Guess i'll go a googling just 'cause what else have i got going on?
No worries.
I took a look at that link, since that sort of automation stuff interests me, even though I'm not really in the Behringer world. I was curious why it was "Windows Only", especially since it's not even a GUI type application.
AutoIt is a scripting language for Windows (I used it a lot for automating things on Windows back in the day). Not normally used for applications; complex automation that can't be done with batch files, yes, but not normally stand-alone programs. It'd likely be pretty clunky to do a communication app, but obviously this person was able to pull it off!
If it were done in another language, potentially a version that works cross-platform wouldn't be hard to make.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jon Dees

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2020, 07:27:30 PM »

Actually thought about this, but decided that the $80 an X-Touch mini would cost, plus the fact that I can set it on my keyboard stand, would be justified.

Don’t forget that mixing station can act as a USB-MIDI host on Android or iOS/iPadOS. I have used an Akai APC Mini plugged into a Kindle Fire 7 and a Huawei Honor 8 (~2016 Android phone on Android v. 7) with an XR18 quite successfully. This also avoids having to figure out how to re-program the MIDI device. An iPad with the lightning-USB adapter will also work.

If you want something more industrial-grade then the Bome Box can translate MIDI-MIDI or USB-MIDI to MIDI with internal remapping to avoid trying to remap the fader device.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2020, 10:13:37 PM »

Don’t forget that mixing station can act as a USB-MIDI host on Android or iOS/iPadOS. I have used an Akai APC Mini plugged into a Kindle Fire 7 and a Huawei Honor 8 (~2016 Android phone on Android v. 7) with an XR18 quite successfully. This also avoids having to figure out how to re-program the MIDI device. An iPad with the lightning-USB adapter will also work.

If you want something more industrial-grade then the Bome Box can translate MIDI-MIDI or USB-MIDI to MIDI with internal remapping to avoid trying to remap the fader device.

I had to read this 4 times, but then i got it  i'm a little slow.  You're talking about the Mixing Station app, and yeah, that's super cool.  The original X32 Edit computer app worked like that.  I used it with several different MIDI controllers with good success.  The X32 didn't really "Do" MIDI, but the App did, and then the app talked to the X32.  Easy Peasy.

This is indeed a less complicated solution and i'm always in favor of less complicated.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2020, 08:09:02 AM »

Don’t forget that mixing station can act as a USB-MIDI host on Android or iOS/iPadOS.

Also on Mac, PC, and Linux. The MIDI Fighter Twister is a pretty ideal controller for an XR. 16 functionally motorized faders and mutes in a super compact form factor, built like a tank.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

brian maddox

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2020, 12:55:35 PM »

Also on Mac, PC, and Linux. The MIDI Fighter Twister is a pretty ideal controller for an XR. 16 functionally motorized faders and mutes in a super compact form factor, built like a tank.

That thing looks very cool.  Just went on my want list.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2020, 01:23:48 PM »

16 functionally motorized faders
Faders? Is there a version with faders too?
All I could see is one with encoders.
-Andy

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »

Same for me, no linear faders seen.  The rest is sufficiently interesting that if I can find $200 in the sofa cushions, I'm in.

Sample trigger, fader, pan...  I'm thinking simple controller for corporate gigs where I'm the mixerguy, DJ, and human interface to the webcast folks...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2020, 05:01:06 PM »

Maybe that's what Dan meant by "16 functionally motorized faders"?

I'm actually MORE interested without the "faders" as anything with 16 faders is gonna be huge and i want very NOT huge.

Pulled the trigger on the XR18 today.  I've got an old Behringer MIDI controller [little guy with 4 knobs and 4 buttons] that i'm gonna try to use at first, but this little 16 knob guy is pretty compelling.

-----Why am i spending MORE money when i'm not making any than when i WAS making some?  :)

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2020, 06:08:37 PM »

I'm actually MORE interested without the "faders" as anything with 16 faders is gonna be huge and i want very NOT huge.

Pulled the trigger on the XR18 today.  I've got an old Behringer MIDI controller [little guy with 4 knobs and 4 buttons] that i'm gonna try to use at first, but this little 16 knob guy is pretty compelling.

-----Why am i spending MORE money when i'm not making any than when i WAS making some?  :)

Because now you have time to play with new toys.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  After I pay myself back on the tax hit I took, I'll think about stimulating the economy.  Damn sofa was already cleaned out except for the chump change.  8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2020, 08:01:42 PM »

I wouldn't think so. Dan's a smart guy. Knows the difference between a fader and an encoder, and there's nothing motorized about these encoders...

-Andy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2020, 08:01:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.