ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: XR18 simple control surface suggestion  (Read 19332 times)

duane massey

Re: XR18 simple control surface suggestion
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 09:46:21 PM »

If you are a Windows user, then this is the exact thing you need.

https://github.com/Shuptuu/TheLink/
I need this software to have the X-Touch Mini talk to XR18?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 10:03:36 PM »

I need this software to have the X-Touch Mini talk to XR18?

Kinda.

The XR18 has limited MIDI implementation and the X-Touch Mini also doesn't have a 5 pin MIDI port on it, so this presents some challenges.  In short, the X-Touch HAS to go through a computer to get to the XR18 for just cabling reasons alone.  And then you still need to get them to talk the same language.

You CAN overcome the obstacles, but you'll need something in your computer to at least communicate the MIDI from your X-Touch through to your XR18 and you'll likely have to edit the MIDI controllers in the X-Touch which can only be done with a Windows only program from Behringer.

This little utility seems to do all the heavy lifting so long as you're on Windows.  It takes MIDI messages from the XTouch and converts those to the OSC messages that the XR18 wants to see which gives you the ability to control ANY parameter you want with Any of the controls you want.  And it's basically turn key.

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

duane massey

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 11:50:54 PM »

Kinda.

The XR18 has limited MIDI implementation and the X-Touch Mini also doesn't have a 5 pin MIDI port on it, so this presents some challenges.  In short, the X-Touch HAS to go through a computer to get to the XR18 for just cabling reasons alone.  And then you still need to get them to talk the same language.

You CAN overcome the obstacles, but you'll need something in your computer to at least communicate the MIDI from your X-Touch through to your XR18 and you'll likely have to edit the MIDI controllers in the X-Touch which can only be done with a Windows only program from Behringer.

This little utility seems to do all the heavy lifting so long as you're on Windows.  It takes MIDI messages from the XTouch and converts those to the OSC messages that the XR18 wants to see which gives you the ability to control ANY parameter you want with Any of the controls you want.  And it's basically turn key.
Ah, got it. It looks like the X-Touch mini will provide what little functionality I need, so I will check into this as an alternative to the Behringer software. I will be using a laptop via ethernet but I can't make quick level changes while I am playing keys and singing, so a simple controller like the Min is ideal (I hope). thanks.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 01:21:58 AM »

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't just use your phone or a cheap tablet?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 02:40:48 AM »

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't just use your phone or a cheap tablet?

Must..... Have.... faders.....

You can have my fader bank when you pry my cold dead hands from it...

{is it time for another webinar?}
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 05:46:45 AM »

Yup, faders are great, and I'd love a tiny/cheap surface with faders, OLED scribble strips & knobs that connected direct to my XR18 with no PC required in the middle.  But hold on, suddenly that surface isn't so small once I've got all I want on it, and it's definitely not cheap.

All of that, much as we all love tactile controls, makes the loss of them an easy compromise taking me straight back to a cheap touchscreen device.  Best of all, with an app like Mixing Station, is that I can even customise the layout to give me exactly what I need in a gig situation - no more, no less.

But, of course, maybe that's just me...

duane massey

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 10:08:49 AM »

Perhaps I should explain WHY I meed a control surface: I am a keyboard/trumpet/flugelhorn player who also sings and is responsible for the sound system. We are  trio w/drum tracks, bass+vocals, keys+horns+vocals, and female vocals only. We use a simple system with a powered mixer, which sits next to me. I rarely make adjustments, and when I do it's slight tweaks to a vocal mic or the master level. I am moving to the Behringer because I want the ability to have better effects, better control over each mic settings, and eventually maybe set up some presets, but that's not on the near horizon. We maintain our own balance the old-fashioned way, by listening to each other, so mixing is not an issue.
I can't use a phone, it's too small for me to read or operate. Can't use a tablet because I can't play keyboards and try to tweak a setting at the same time, but I CAN reach over and tweak a knob. The only changes I typically make are to the master level (venue manager gives me the "hand signal" from the back of the room to turn down) and sometimes a vocal mic, depending upon whether we have a sub for the bassist.
I don't need a wireless device. I am the only person who makes adjustments, and the speaker(s) are behind us so we hear the mix from where we are. We only use one small monitor for the female singer, which has only her in it, and is not controlled by the mixer.
I will have a laptop (obviously) so I can make adjustments  to parameters other than levels, but I won't be doing this while playing.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »

{is it time for another webinar?}

Duane's application is the classic example where there is no replacement for hardware.  It doesn't need to be fancy, but it needs to be a quick grab.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 12:27:17 PM »

If you can live with faders and mutes being the only hardware controls you have on the X Touch compact controller and let all the other functions live on a touchscreen then this thread might be of interest.

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/Recording/X-Touch-Compact-with-X-Air-XR18/td-p/254719

Also while the Behringer provided app is reasonably good this app is well worth a few bucks for those with power user aspirations.

https://dev-core.org/mixing-station/

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »

Duane's application is the classic example where there is no replacement for hardware.  It doesn't need to be fancy, but it needs to be a quick grab.
Yup, faders are great, and I'd love a tiny/cheap surface with faders, OLED scribble strips & knobs that connected direct to my XR18 with no PC required in the middle.  But hold on, suddenly that surface isn't so small once I've got all I want on it, and it's definitely not cheap.

All of that, much as we all love tactile controls, makes the loss of them an easy compromise taking me straight back to a cheap touchscreen device.  Best of all, with an app like Mixing Station, is that I can even customise the layout to give me exactly what I need in a gig situation - no more, no less.

But, of course, maybe that's just me...

Yes, and knowing what Duane is doing perhaps my reply came off as negative, which was not my intention.  Some things cannot be replaced with a tablet or phone.  Yet.

Read up and you'll see I own an X-Touch and use it to expand control of M32r and X32Rack.  Because some stuff just needs physical controls (or more of 'em).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 24 queries.