ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: one of the things I'll miss from gigging...  (Read 4558 times)

Mal Brown

one of the things I'll miss from gigging...
« on: April 26, 2020, 11:58:44 PM »

I live on water and kind bars on most of my events.  I can put in 5 to 10 mikes of walking on event days in the summer.  Not uncommon for me to lose 3 to 5 lbs a day...  My social distancing diet is not helping...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: one of the things I'll miss from gigging...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 02:49:09 AM »

There are all the extra meal times.  Brunch, Lunchfast, Breakfast puddng, etc. (I have a competition with my daughter to invent new ones).

Steve.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 03:44:40 AM »

Well, there's the pre-breakfast chocolate to get you up and running, followed by breakfast itself once the sugar has kicked in. Followed by breakfast pudding, of course.

Elevenses, brunch, brunch pudding, pre-lunch nibbles, eating bits of lunch as you make it, lunch itself, crisps after lunch, yogurt after that. 3pm snack, with pudding, and then tea comes around and you'll need some energy to make it, and then eating bits of tea as quality control checks, tea itself, and an infinite series of puddings after those, since it's usually the biggest meal of the day. Food associated with particular times of day must have their protocols followed (After-8s, anyone?).

Midnight snack, with pudding, rounds out the 24 hour food schedule.

I've been trying to balance things out by going for a run before breakfast. There's a convenient loop that's almost exactly a mile, and the other day my time dropped below 9 minutes. Still a way to go, but it's nice that I'm making progress.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mal Brown

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 10:18:06 AM »

Good on ya Chris.  My knees won't stand for that.  I need to get motivated to ride my bikes...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 10:44:11 AM »

Cheers, Mal.

I used to be quite into mountain biking until my ride was stolen. Wasn't anything super high-end, but it had seen a few upgrades and was in a happy place. Oh well.
Current bike has a problem where the rear suspension, in motion, puts strain on the hydraulic brake line near the rear caliper. Result = brake fluid on the discs, so front brake only. Not particularly safe to ride, so I haven't been out for ages. I've got some time now, though, so I wonder if it's something that can be fixed without replacing some/all of the bike...

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »

I live on water and kind bars on most of my events. 

"Fueled by Gatorade and Granola Bars" ( copyright 2020 ) here  ;D !

I am trying to get in daily walks and lift heavy stuff (whether or not it requires lifting).  That said, I'm sure it'll take a few gigs to get into "playing shape".

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Landon Lewsaw

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 10:54:30 AM »

For anyone confused by Chris's post, in the UK "pudding" means dessert.  On our side of the pond, pudding only refers to one very specific dessert  ;)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 11:53:51 AM »

Well, there's the pre-breakfast chocolate to get you up and running, followed by breakfast itself once the sugar has kicked in. Followed by breakfast pudding, of course.

Elevenses, brunch, brunch pudding, pre-lunch nibbles, eating bits of lunch as you make it, lunch itself, crisps after lunch, yogurt after that. 3pm snack, with pudding, and then tea comes around and you'll need some energy to make it, and then eating bits of tea as quality control checks, tea itself, and an infinite series of puddings after those, since it's usually the biggest meal of the day. Food associated with particular times of day must have their protocols followed (After-8s, anyone?).

Midnight snack, with pudding, rounds out the 24 hour food schedule.

I've been trying to balance things out by going for a run before breakfast. There's a convenient loop that's almost exactly a mile, and the other day my time dropped below 9 minutes. Still a way to go, but it's nice that I'm making progress.

Chris

In the words of Pink (Floyd, not the woman), "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"  My guess is Pink Floyd never ate his mum's cooking.  There's a reason it's the "Great British Baking Show" and not the British Cooking Show.

There's an old joke where in Heaven the cooks are French, the policemen are English, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and the bankers are Swiss - whereas in Hell the cooks are English, the policemen are German, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss and the bankers are Italian.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 12:20:12 PM »

There's an old joke where in Heaven the cooks are French, the policemen are English, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italian and the bankers are Swiss - whereas in Hell the cooks are English, the policemen are German, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss and the bankers are Italian.

And then there's the theory behind British imperialism: the reason they had to conquer all those other cultures was to get better food. (They did well in the case of India, in my opinion :) :) :)  ) -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 03:26:34 PM »

I am trying to get in daily walks and lift heavy stuff (whether or not it requires lifting).

Thankfully I've worked from home before this shelter-in-place, so have less work to 'flatten the curve' now.  :)

Buy a basic workout bench (mine was $7 from Goodwill), some dumbbells and 5#/10# weight plates, and a pull-up bar.  WalMart is about the lowest cost.  There's a lot you can do with just that actually.  Throw in a short jog or walk whenever the sun is out. 

Food - this is a good time to hone cooking craft, grill tasty meats, lots of salads, protein shakes for lazy mornings.  Working out and walking/running makes it easier to trim back on sugars/alcohol/smoking if needed.   

A big thing - choose a good bedtime and set a daily alarm, as well as a good wake time and daily alarm.  It's amazing how a solid to bed/up from bed time, 7 days a week does. 

A trick I read from a retired military general - always make your bed in the morning.  When the alarm goes off, force yourself to get up and turn on a bright light, and make your bed.  That starts the domino reaction to work out, make a healthy breakfast, and not go back to bed for "5 more minutes".  When the first task each morning is nailed correctly - it sets the tone for the rest of the day.  Working out in the morning supposedly burns more fat vs later in the day, and it really makes you alert.  Then if you do slip and have an extra dessert (pudding) or drink(s) later in the day - your metabolism is already revving along and the pounds don't stick. 

Look at load-in - we have every action down to the minute, pre-planned, and simply execute based on reflex.  Why do the opposite with our health and daily routine? 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 07:38:53 PM »

I've been using the push mower more around the house.
Maybe I should start a morning work out of a 100 reps putting
a speaker up on a tripod stand and doing swats while holding
a roll of feeder.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 09:22:55 PM »

And then there's the theory behind British imperialism: the reason they had to conquer all those other cultures was to get better food. (They did well in the case of India, in my opinion :) :) :)  ) -F

It used to be said that the sun never set on the British Empire...because god wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark.

8)

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 09:26:48 PM »

Unfortunately for India, when England left they didn't take their bureaucracy with them.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 12:30:56 PM »

It used to be said that the sun never set on the British Empire...because god wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark.

8)

Cheers,
Tim

https://what-if.xkcd.com/48/

Still hasn't, apparently.

Chris
www.grimshawaudio.com

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 02:49:19 PM »

https://xkcd.com

This comic is my favorite of all time.  HIGHLY recommend checking it out.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Daniel Levi

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 05:59:09 PM »

Though if our food/cooking was so bade why, when American resturants are in trouble, do they send in the Brits ;D

That must mean that if British food is supposedly terrible yet we have to show Americans how to cook properly, how unbelievably bad must American food/cooking be ;D

Though food insults were thought to be one of the reasons we got the 2012 Olympics, Finland I believe had enough votes to sway it and unfortunately for France, who were our competitors, decided to insult our food saying that only Finland's was worse, don't think Finland voted for France after that.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 06:04:30 PM by Daniel Levi »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 07:05:36 PM »

Though if our food/cooking was so bade why, when American resturants are in trouble, do they send in the Brits ;D

That must mean that if British food is supposedly terrible yet we have to show Americans how to cook properly, how unbelievably bad must American food/cooking be ;D

Though food insults were thought to be one of the reasons we got the 2012 Olympics, Finland I believe had enough votes to sway it and unfortunately for France, who were our competitors, decided to insult our food saying that only Finland's was worse, don't think Finland voted for France after that.

Jamie Oliver made school food kids won't eat, and most of what is entertaining about the "hell" guy is the number of bleeps in any of his scenes.  But the real reason?  All the good French, Italian and American chefs already have (or had) jobs.

Just kidding.  Sort of. ;)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 02:37:50 AM »

That must mean that if British food is supposedly terrible yet we have to show Americans how to cook properly, how unbelievably bad must American food/cooking be

Americans invented spray on cheese.  Therefore they have no right to criticise any other country's food!!

Steve.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 03:34:03 AM »

Americans invented spray on cheese.  Therefore they have no right to criticise any other country's food!!

Steve.

Here! Here!, plus the fact that McDonalds is supposedly much better over here, come on how can you f up something as simple as McDonalds!?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:19:05 AM by Daniel Levi »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 05:02:38 AM »

McDonalds in Moscow is the best I've eaten at, top three restaurants in my life.

That was after six days touring in FAR east Russia, we started in Vladivostok and worked our way north and west....
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:04:49 AM by Helge A Bentsen »

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 02:58:13 PM »

Here! Here!, plus the fact that McDonalds is supposedly much better over here, come on how can you f up something as simple as McDonalds!?

Simply put, over here in the U.S.A. it's about the economics of the food: cheap ingredients for cheap food.  This isn't just about McDonalds either.  It's the same with a bunch of fast food restaurants in the same general economic league. 
 I personally think that it's indicative of decades of continued wage stagnation here in this country.  Lower wages and minimum wage levels have not kept up with inflation at all, leaving an ever-growing population at the end of the wage scale with dwindling food options (don't get me started on housing in this country). 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 02:58:13 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 24 queries.