ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gown, gloves, mask - Live Audio in the Time of Covid-19  (Read 3852 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Gown, gloves, mask - Live Audio in the Time of Covid-19
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 10:29:20 AM »

Bands and vocalist bring their own mics, I've had people bring nice stuff but then again
a band last summer had three different versions of fake SM58's.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 10:51:14 AM »

...but then again
a band last summer had three different versions of fake SM58's.

That one still baffles me.  If originals cost $1,000 I *might* understand the temptation to save a buck.  For $99 US (or less) for the genuine article, why take a risk?  And, don't get me started on bootleg Neutrik connectors!

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 11:09:03 AM »

That one still baffles me.  If originals cost $1,000 I *might* understand the temptation to save a buck.  For $99 US (or less) for the genuine article, why take a risk?  And, don't get me started on bootleg Neutrik connectors!

Dave

To be honest they didn't even know they were fake, nor did they notice that they did not sound the same!
I'm not sure they even believed me when I told them they were fake and showed them what a real one
looked and felt like.

I have no tolerance for cheap and or knock off connectors either.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:46:58 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 11:18:18 AM »

I've given some thought to UV-C and at some point might try it.  Right now my plan is to use thin foam windscreens, changed for each user, and when swapping the windscreen spray the mic ball and body, clip, stand, and 5 ft of mic cable with 91% isopropyl alcohol.

Sounds like a plan, but check into 70% vs 91% isopropanol. The word last month was that 70% is actually more effective at disabling the virus. As usual, nothing is simple. In my experience isopropanol is safe on pretty much all plastics and paints. I've been going through a lot of it on my (occasional) trips to the store, etc.

The problem I've heard with UV as a direct disinfectant is shading. Obviously, intensity, duration, and scatter are all factors. Enough short-wave UV will make significant ozone, which might be a pretty good disinfectant in itself. I think we have a lot to learn about disinfectants for this particular virus. Pounding plastic bits, like mic foam, with lots of short UV might cause deterioration in the long term, but might be worth it.

As an aside, I've demonstrated the skin burning effects of short-wave UV to myself a few times when I needed to make "just one little quick tack weld" with the MIG welder and didn't cover my arms. The part of my upper arm that's close to normal to the light from the arc got a nasty burn in just a few seconds of exposure.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

John L Nobile

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 03:36:39 PM »

Here's a good article comparing 70% IPA tp 99%

https://labproinc.com/blog/chemicals-and-solvents-9/post/the-difference-between-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-99-and-70-25

Basically, 70% is better as a disinfectant but 99% is better for cleaning water sensitive products. Which is why I've always used the 99% to clean my mics.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 05:37:54 PM »

Here's a good article comparing 70% IPA tp 99%

https://labproinc.com/blog/chemicals-and-solvents-9/post/the-difference-between-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-99-and-70-25

Basically, 70% is better as a disinfectant but 99% is better for cleaning water sensitive products. Which is why I've always used the 99% to clean my mics.

Yeah, I think the extra water in 70% improves the wet time and therefor the disinfection.  I've got a couple gallons of 91%, so I'll dilute with distilled water.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 05:37:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.