ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Clair Brothers C 4 Long throw speaker system  (Read 5751 times)

Joseph Riels

Clair Brothers C 4 Long throw speaker system
« on: April 25, 2020, 04:22:19 PM »

I know Clair has a long history and the S 4 speaker will go down in history as one of the best in the industry. I'm very curious about another model of Clair speaker called the C 4. I have searched the interwebs without much luck.

Does anyone here have information concerning the Clair C 4 and willing to share?

Thanks!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 04:49:38 PM »

I know Clair has a long history and the S 4 speaker will go down in history as one of the best in the industry. I'm very curious about another model of Clair speaker called the C 4. I have searched the interwebs without much luck.

Does anyone here have information concerning the Clair C 4 and willing to share?

Thanks!

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Joseph Riels

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 08:22:18 PM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

So sorry. Not the first time I didn't read the rules....
Thanks for being patient with the FNG.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Clair Brothers C 4 Long throw speaker system
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 11:21:07 PM »

I'm having a hard time placing a Clair C4.  d&b from Germany had a C4 top box in their now-discontinued C series.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter Morris

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 05:22:34 AM »

I'm having a hard time placing a Clair C4.  d&b from Germany had a C4 top box in their now-discontinued C series.

same here ... S4 & R4 Clair , C4 D&B

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 06:54:34 AM »

Hill sound had a M4. I heard them out with AC/DC back in 1985 or so.
https://youtu.be/M5PqvxtHC1s?t=311

Douglas R. Allen

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 11:09:37 AM »

Douglas R. Allen

Great video.

Joseph Riels

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 11:38:22 AM »

I reached out to Clair directly. Got my fingers crossed that they will respond.

As I understand the C4 was like a bigger version of the S4. I have only one picture and it is labeled as a Clair Brothers C4. If I can figure out how to post it I will give it a try.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 12:11:38 PM »

Douglas R. Allen

Great Video.  Heard my friend Mike Scarfe's name mentioned in there.  Good stuff!
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 02:19:11 PM »

I reached out to Clair directly. Got my fingers crossed that they will respond.

As I understand the C4 was like a bigger version of the S4. I have only one picture and it is labeled as a Clair Brothers C4. If I can figure out how to post it I will give it a try.
Joseph,

The S4 was all front loaded, originally 440 pounds, "lightened up" in the mid 1980s by replacing the back panel with a foam core composite, dropping the weight to around 400 pounds. Dimensions were 45x 45 x 22.5 inches, standard truck pack integers.

As I recall, the C4 was developed sometime in the late 1980's. I got to see it visiting the Steve Miller tour rehearsals at the Met Sports arena in Bloomington, Minnesota. Steve Wiese, then Steve Miller's sound engineer (and recording engineer for Born 2B Blue) had chose to use it over the S4, as it had better pattern control.

The C4 had horn loaded low mid cone drivers, requiring the cabinet to be deeper, taller and far heavier than the S4. My recollection of the dimensions would be around 67.5 x 45 x 30, weight in the 600 pound range. The large size and weight made it unpopular for most applications, there probably was only one arena system made, and it didn't go out much.

The C4 introduction was not long before the shift to line arrays started, so had a relatively short history.

Art

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 02:19:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 25 queries.