ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Companion module for Yamaha CL/QL  (Read 6264 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
New Companion module for Yamaha CL/QL
« on: April 21, 2020, 10:20:42 PM »

Another module for the Yamaha stuff. This one is more interesting to me than the SCP one that I did earlier.

Easier to show than explain. It's free, you don't need a StreamDeck or even a mixer to play with it. Visit my site for details if you're curious...

https://youtu.be/8nKuF3Dq3I8
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: New Companion module for Yamaha CL/QL
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 11:06:25 PM »

Another module for the Yamaha stuff. This one is more interesting to me than the SCP one that I did earlier.

Easier to show than explain. It's free, you don't need a StreamDeck or even a mixer to play with it. Visit my site for details if you're curious...

https://youtu.be/8nKuF3Dq3I8

This is insanely cool.  Macros on a Yamaha console are a game changer.

Now i just need a gig to use this on.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Nathan Salt

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 03:39:49 AM »

Andrew you are an absolute legend
Nathan Salt

Zach Greenhorn

• Saskatoon, SK
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 12:48:10 PM »

Now i just need a gig to use this on.  :)

I need more of my gigs (when they come back) to have Yamaha's to try this out on.

I've been using Companion for controlling QLab, Reaper, and controlling my Macs and the console du jour if it has a companion module available.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 06:21:39 PM »

Andrew, where does one get the most recent version of your software?

I'd like to play with it with my DM2000 while everything is shut down.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

brian maddox

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 07:41:02 PM »

I need more of my gigs (when they come back) to have Yamaha's to try this out on.

I've been using Companion for controlling QLab, Reaper, and controlling my Macs and the console du jour if it has a companion module available.

Me too.  Although when i AM working, i'm on QL/CL 99 percent of the time, which is why Andrew's module is so appealing.

The whole Macro thing is a Game Changer.  That makes the whole process of programming buttons in Companion a no brainer.  I've got GOBS of things i can think of to use this thing for. 

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 11:06:42 AM »

Andrew, where does one get the most recent version of your software?

I'd like to play with it with my DM2000 while everything is shut down.

The official builds are here, under the 2.0 Beta clickthrough.
https://bitfocus.io/user/downloads

Andrew does his own more frequent build on his website.

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?4-Programming

The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 02:35:53 PM »

I'm a complete neophyte in regards to using midi commands on a desk, so if this is a stupid question sorry...

If I programmed a macro that would set every channel's EQ to "ON" and set all the High Passes to maybe 80 hz and "ON" does the macro just toggle the ON button or is it an absolute "it will be on no matter what state it was in before" type situation?

I'm thinking for a new band soundcheck situation you could recall scene 000 and then run a macro to set all the EQ's to ON, add a HP to all channels and turn it ON, and maybe set all the comps to a default setting, or maybe setup the two dynamics inserts to how you like them, etc.

Then you are saving several seconds per channel on a soundcheck just by not having to hit several buttons and twiddle knobs to get to a default channel strip before you even start tweaking.

You could even throw in the User define knobs into this and have the High Pass on one and comp ratio on another, etc etc. You'd save afew minutes per soundcheck which would add up quite a bit on a festival day!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 02:38:28 PM by Tim Weaver »
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 03:15:14 PM »

I'm a complete neophyte in regards to using midi commands on a desk, so if this is a stupid question sorry...

If I programmed a macro that would set every channel's EQ to "ON" and set all the High Passes to maybe 80 hz and "ON" does the macro just toggle the ON button or is it an absolute "it will be on no matter what state it was in before" type situation?

I'm thinking for a new band soundcheck situation you could recall scene 000 and then run a macro to set all the EQ's to ON, add a HP to all channels and turn it ON, and maybe set all the comps to a default setting, or maybe setup the two dynamics inserts to how you like them, etc.

Then you are saving several seconds per channel on a soundcheck just by not having to hit several buttons and twiddle knobs to get to a default channel strip before you even start tweaking.

You could even throw in the User define knobs into this and have the High Pass on one and comp ratio on another, etc etc. You'd save afew minutes per soundcheck which would add up quite a bit on a festival day!

The MIDI implementation on Yamaha consoles is natively Absolute Commands.  That is, there is a MIDI command for "Turn input channel 2 ON".  It is not a command to "Press the Channel 2 On/Off Button".  So yes, you could set a string of commands to do just about anything and know that at least those things are definitely in that state.

Where Andrew's solution here really shines is in the way that it fills in some gaps in Yamaha's implementation of scene control as well as QL/CL editor.  There are some specific things that are NOT recalled by scene commands [such as Outport settings] that can really bite you in the butt.  There are also some things that the Editor can't reach "like OSC ON" that can be a pain when you're remoteing into a console.  Given that Yamaha's MIDI implementation is 100 percent, having a Macro recorder for MIDI means being able to set a button to literally do anything that your hands can do on the desk.  This is amazingly powerful.

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 03:16:59 PM »

Can't you just save all of those settings in the scene itself? 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 03:16:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.