ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Line array bass cabs  (Read 2135 times)

Miguel Dahl

Re: Line array bass cabs
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 09:33:26 AM »

Directional subwoofer array, flown.

"Reversed sub, polarity inverted, and delayed ~1/4 wavelength of the desired frequency of max cancellation.

I haven't done system for years now. Things get forgotten.. Might I ask what's the reason to the quarter wavelength?

If doing a normal cardioid stack, I remember one simple solution was to invert the rear facing, but delay it to the ms which would equal to the depth of the cab? If my memory doesn't trick me? (or more precise, the travel distance from front to back, measured from center of a dual cab)

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 12:52:31 PM »

complete capitulation to video.

These aren't concerts in the classic sense. They are events.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2023, 06:34:43 PM »

I haven't done system for years now. Things get forgotten.. Might I ask what's the reason to the quarter wavelength?

If doing a normal cardioid stack, I remember one simple solution was to invert the rear facing, but delay it to the ms which would equal to the depth of the cab? If my memory doesn't trick me? (or more precise, the travel distance from front to back, measured from center of a dual cab)

Your memory is fine, it's just that there are two different ways to create cardioid subwoofer arrays: "end-fire" and "gradient" (to borrow Bob McCarthy's term). Tim described a gradient array (i.e. delay the front sub to the back sub and add a polarity inversion), you're describing an end-fire array (i.e. delay the back sub to the front sub with no polarity inversion). End-fire produces full-range, full-power summation out front and a fairly narrow frequency band of cancellation in the back, while gradient arrays produce full-range cancellation behind them and a (relatively-broad) band-limited audience-facing output (that is also—technically—content-dependent because of the polarity inversion), as well as a small loss of overall efficiency vs. end-fire (or non-cardioid) options.

The "quarter wavelength" is important because both designs are frequency-specific: in end-fire arrays the distance between the subs is used to tune the frequency of rear null, while in gradient arrays the distance is used to tune the centre of the audience-facing output band. In practice, though, the distance used is often just the depth of the box (which for touring-grade subwoofers is, not coincidentally, typically the quarter wavelength of some useful frequency like 60 or 70 Hz).

-Russ

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2023, 09:05:41 PM »

Might I ask what's the reason to the quarter wavelength?

Two main reasons.

If you have a boundary a quarter wave behind a sub, the rear wave travels back a quarter wave, bounces, and comes back, and meets the rest of the direct sound from the sub - except now it's a half wave behind.  IE - 180 degrees out of polarity, and cancels. 

Second is summation - 90 degrees out of phase (quarter wave) is neither summation or destruction, so it's the max distance apart before sources start to cancel each other.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2023, 09:05:41 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 23 queries.