ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mix for recording while in sanctuary  (Read 2707 times)

Jeff Classen

Mix for recording while in sanctuary
« on: April 20, 2020, 01:47:16 PM »

We are having a difficult time mixing our recording feed while we have live music in the auditorium. Even with headphones, there is too much noise bleeding through and it does not allow the sound tech to get a decent mix. I see two options.
1. Noise cancelling headphones. (not sure how well this would work)
2. set up a small room with a separate feed and mix with tablet (requires an additional person to operate)

Any other recommendations?

Laurence Nefzger

• Kirkland, WA USA
Re: Mix for recording while in sanctuary
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »

We are having a difficult time mixing our recording feed while we have live music in the auditorium. Even with headphones, there is too much noise bleeding through and it does not allow the sound tech to get a decent mix. I see two options.
2. set up a small room with a separate feed and mix with tablet (requires an additional person to operate)

I really feel having an sound isolated second person whose sole focus is on the recording feed is indicated. The operator of the live mix should be completely focused on the what the congregation is hearing.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 03:00:04 PM »

Are there actually congregants in your sanctuary?  If not just turn the mains way down.  It’s working great for me.

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 03:12:23 PM »

Try headphones like these

https://www.amazon.ca/Vic-Firth-Isolation-Headphones-SIH2/dp/B079PTW3K5

More sound isolating than noise cancelling. The latter may only get rid of lo end.

Thomas Le

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 01:08:48 PM »

Are there actually congregants in your sanctuary?  If not just turn the mains way down.  It’s working great for me.

Ditto, there shouldn't alot of people inside, right??? >.> I turned off half the PA and lowered the amp volume just for for monitoring purposes on my end.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 04:27:37 PM »

Number 2, with a pair of studio monitors, nothing crazy expensive.  Think acoustic space like someone's living room, with speakers similar to a good HTIB (basic home theater level).  An iPad in another room is a good emergency stop-gap measure.

If this is happening live - I'd look into another audio console with Dante card(s).  As long as it's similar to the main console and has enough channels - it's much better than just an iPad and can be used longer term than just the current shelter in place era. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 08:08:56 PM »

So, we really don't know a lot about what your set up is like, but I'll take a WAG.

Your musicians are using monitor speaker on stage? Drummer bashing away? Long haired guitar player turned up to ten? You probably have about the same level in the house as normal, so you have the PA on just to hear the vocals clearly?

Yeah. You need to be in another room entirely. Another building would be best, but at least get isolated as much as possible. I have a purpose built studio with it's own console way in the back corner of our sanctuary and upstairs. I have a floating floor, 2 layers of drywall all around with green glue sandwiched between them and a thick, gasketed, studio door with bass traps and absorbers in there. It's *quiet* in the studio when the band is on, but it's not *silent* in there. It's very hard to isolate yourself completely from loud noise like a band playing at full tilt.

We can give you more suggestions, but you need to tell us a few things. What mixer? band on iems or monitors? is the mixer on the campus network or just a wifi router sitting next to it? etc, etc.....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jeff Classen

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 10:23:46 PM »

So, we really don't know a lot about what your set up is like, but I'll take a WAG.

Your musicians are using monitor speaker on stage? Drummer bashing away? Long haired guitar player turned up to ten? You probably have about the same level in the house as normal, so you have the PA on just to hear the vocals clearly?

Yeah. You need to be in another room entirely. Another building would be best, but at least get isolated as much as possible. I have a purpose built studio with it's own console way in the back corner of our sanctuary and upstairs. I have a floating floor, 2 layers of drywall all around with green glue sandwiched between them and a thick, gasketed, studio door with bass traps and absorbers in there. It's *quiet* in the studio when the band is on, but it's not *silent* in there. It's very hard to isolate yourself completely from loud noise like a band playing at full tilt.

We can give you more suggestions, but you need to tell us a few things. What mixer? band on iems or monitors? is the mixer on the campus network or just a wifi router sitting next to it? etc, etc.....

Using a Behringer x32 Compact with Live card. Currently having to record to that and then listen back and remix without the instruments in the room, and record to the USB, and then record again to our software that does our published recordings (Proclaim if anyone is familiar with that)
Drummer is using bundled sticks and has a pretty light touch to be honest, kick is the only drum going through the house.
Piano is barely in the house mix as it can carry the room pretty well when on it's own.
Even My Jumbo Guitar carries the room un-amplified when we used to have acoustic services.
We will be transitioning to recording live in June.
I have decided to try and get a feed elsewhere in the building and use wireless control on an iPad to mix it.
Now the challenge becomes getting the signal to another room. Our church foyer has a TV with a signal and crummy speakers. I have thought about upgrading those and mixing from there. Or a wireless speaker system of some kind.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 10:44:53 AM »

I used John's idea of noise isolating headphones and that has worked very well for us.  We don't have a band-but it allowed us to mix piano/song leader/solo trumpet/congregation and get a nice livestream mix from within the room.
Steve Swaffer

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 04:07:23 PM »

Using a Behringer x32 Compact with Live card. Currently having to record to that and then listen back and remix without the instruments in the room, and record to the USB, and then record again to our software that does our published recordings (Proclaim if anyone is familiar with that)
Drummer is using bundled sticks and has a pretty light touch to be honest, kick is the only drum going through the house.
Piano is barely in the house mix as it can carry the room pretty well when on it's own.
Even My Jumbo Guitar carries the room un-amplified when we used to have acoustic services.
We will be transitioning to recording live in June.
I have decided to try and get a feed elsewhere in the building and use wireless control on an iPad to mix it.
Now the challenge becomes getting the signal to another room. Our church foyer has a TV with a signal and crummy speakers. I have thought about upgrading those and mixing from there. Or a wireless speaker system of some kind.

Here's how I would do it.

If you have a quiet room that is pretty far away from the stage, yet within 300 feet of the main console you could do this. Buy an X32core and run Cat6 from the main desk to the Core. Get all your routing figured out, then you basically have another "desk" which you can control with a laptop or ipad (Laptop is a little easier). The Core has the bare minimum connectivity to do this. Basically it has outputs for studio monitors and a headphone jack. That's it.

You can route the output of the core back to the main desk or use those studio monitor outputs to feed your streaming machine, and just use the headphone out to mix with (This comes with some amount of danger as you can't solo stuff while streaming, or the online mix will hear the solo's channel).
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 04:07:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.