ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote controlled line level volume control?  (Read 3760 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Remote controlled line level volume control?
« on: April 18, 2020, 07:18:51 PM »

Ok, might not exist as I said in title.

Here is the story. I have a line (consumer) level output from a Yamaha receiver. It the zone 2 output. There is no volume control in the receiver for that output. The speakers for zone 2 are in another room so running back to the A/V cabinet to adjust the level with the amp controls is a bit impractical. There are amplifiers I found that have remotes but they are IR remotes.  IR won’t work as there is no easy way to run wires to an IR repeater either.

So, either an RF remote or phone or tablet control via WiFi could do.

Any ideas?

Oh, keeping cost down would help too.

Thanks.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
Re: Remote controlled line level volume control?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 07:51:06 PM »

Never tried one, but a precursory search turned this up:  https://www.amazon.com/TinySine-Bluetooth-Remote-Control-Andorid/dp/B073JB2212 .  Normal distance limitations of Bluetooth.  Not exactly a stellar review.  Might be worth a shot for $30.
This space for rent

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 10:54:59 PM »

Here is the story. I have a line (consumer) level output from a Yamaha receiver. It the zone 2 output. There is no volume control in the receiver for that output. The speakers for zone 2 are in another room so running back to the A/V cabinet to adjust the level with the amp controls is a bit impractical. There are amplifiers I found that have remotes but they are IR remotes.  IR won’t work as there is no easy way to run wires to an IR repeater either.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Something like a used Sonos Port or Amp could work, but $150+
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 11:41:43 PM »

I use dbx Driverack PA2's in my whole house system for zone controllers.  They could easily be put on a WiFi access point and would have wireless control.  Plenty of used ones around.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 02:59:24 PM »

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Here's a device that converts your IR remote to an RF one and comes with an IR blaster base station for your equipment rack.

https://www.nextgen.us/remote-extender-plus-receiver-kit-p/remoteextenderplus.htm

A friend has one and he uses it out in the yard for the stereo in the living room.
-You would have to change to an amp with a remote of course
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 03:07:47 PM »

Instead of a remote if you have access to the speaker lines why not just put in a simple attenuator wall knob?  Certainly cheap.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 03:21:10 PM »

Instead of a remote if you have access to the speaker lines why not just put in a simple attenuator wall knob?  Certainly cheap.

That can work where I have access to the speaker wires though my kitchen and dining room have in ceiling mounted speakers. The wires come out in the basement just below the tv room. The tv room has a Yamaha 7.1 system with a zone 2. If I want to use the zone 2 speaker outs the amps for the rear speakers are repurposed. If I use the line lever zone 2 jacks, I get no volume control. Walking back and forth to adjust levels is annoying.

The speaker wires to the living room terminate in wall plates with speakons. I currently have a pair of JBL MRX512s connected.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 03:38:17 PM »

That can work where I have access to the speaker wires though my kitchen and dining room have in ceiling mounted speakers. The wires come out in the basement just below the tv room. The tv room has a Yamaha 7.1 system with a zone 2. If I want to use the zone 2 speaker outs the amps for the rear speakers are repurposed. If I use the line lever zone 2 jacks, I get no volume control. Walking back and forth to adjust levels is annoying.

The speaker wires to the living room terminate in wall plates with speakons. I currently have a pair of JBL MRX512s connected.

Ahh, resi.  I was thinking maybe this was commercial done with resi source gear.  I deal with this with Sonos stuff.  I’ve got a sonos connect in my basement rack that is fed from an auxiliary source - used to be a zone2 output, now it’s q-sys.  Then other Sonos stuff picks it up around the house when needed.  The Sonos stuff also hits my plex server for music library and multiple streaming radio stations for that fix.  Easily controlled from my phone.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 04:23:53 PM »

How adventurous are you?  I've used a 4 channel switcher based on the PT2314 and programmed it through a raspberry pi.  With that, now you can have control anywhere you want.  It's not too difficult to get working. 

https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/380/PT2314.php

I found a complete board from LC technology for about 8 bucks, if I remember correctly. It was relatively simple to tie it into the Pi.  Now you can create a simple web server and can control it from wherever you want.  the whole thing would set you back around $50 or so, plus your time to build it.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 04:23:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.