ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing JBL 828 drivers with better.  (Read 3092 times)

Tyler Wallace

Replacing JBL 828 drivers with better.
« on: April 15, 2020, 10:27:03 PM »

First post and new here....

I’m looking to put different drivers in my JBL SRX 828’s (assuming brands don’t have different bolt patterns).

Once a couple start to show wear I’d like to replace them all with a better quality drivers.

I don’t mind spending money on quality but I’m not trying to purchase the best.
I’d like to keep the price about at $450 each.

Thanks

Tyler
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:51:29 PM by Ty_ty13 »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Replacing JBL 828 drivers with better.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 12:03:26 AM »

I’m looking to put different drivers in my JBL SRX 828’s (assuming brands don’t have different bolt patterns).

Once a couple start to show wear I’d like to replace them all with a better quality drivers.

Thanks

Tyler

Before anybody can answer you, please update your display name to your real name per the terms when you signed up.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tyler Wallace

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 12:16:48 AM »

Before anybody can answer you, please update your display name to your real name per the terms when you signed up.

I Must have missed that.

My apologies.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 12:43:17 AM »

Thanks

Tyler

You are unlikely to improve the 828 (which version) by swapping woofers.  Did you buy them and blow them up, buy the cabs empty after someone else blew them up, or what?  If you purchased them new, you understand what a great performance/price ratio they represent.  Spending $900 to replace working woofers is folly and unlikely to represent an improvement in performance over the OEM product.  To do better than the SRX828sp you'd have to spend double or more.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tyler Wallace

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 02:02:53 AM »

You are unlikely to improve the 828 (which version) by swapping woofers.  Did you buy them and blow them up, buy the cabs empty after someone else blew them up, or what?  If you purchased them new, you understand what a great performance/price ratio they represent.  Spending $900 to replace working woofers is folly and unlikely to represent an improvement in performance over the OEM product.  To do better than the SRX828sp you'd have to spend double or more.

I bought 2 new and 2 used.

I wasn’t sure if there was any drivers that would add any measurable performance for a small up charge over the JBL replacements.
 One driver is currently on the way out and will need to be replaced very soon

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 03:57:07 AM »

I bought 2 new and 2 used.

I wasn’t sure if there was any drivers that would add any measurable performance for a small up charge over the JBL replacements.
 One driver is currently on the way out and will need to be replaced very soon

What makes you think it will need to be replaced soon?  A recone will be much less expensive.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 11:15:19 AM »

Yep, just get it reconed.

If these are the active boxes, there's no point in swapping drivers. JBL will have matched the amp's DSP settings to the OEM speakers. Putting some others in there means you're actually more at risk of damaging the new drivers, because the limiters aren't set up for those.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tyler Wallace

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 11:25:53 AM »

Yep, just get it reconed.

If these are the active boxes, there's no point in swapping drivers. JBL will have matched the amp's DSP settings to the OEM speakers. Putting some others in there means you're actually more at risk of damaging the new drivers, because the limiters aren't set up for those.

Chris

I was tempted to make them passive and just use the box when the cones finally give out.

I’ve got a X4 amp sitting on the shelf.

About to upgrade to a much bigger Danley rig for festivals and bigger indoor gigs and I’d love to be able to use these JBL boxes at some small local edm gigs that I can get some cheap rentals for that I don’t give a damn about.... I’ve made my money from them but they don’t quite have enough low end and I’m not really looking to rent my Danley stuff unless I’m there.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 06:15:00 PM »

If you purchased them new, you understand what a great performance/price ratio they represent.  Spending $900 to replace working woofers is folly and unlikely to represent an improvement in performance over the OEM product.  To do better than the SRX828sp you'd have to spend double or more.

Agree with Tim - the whole point of these subs is low cost.  Dumping unnecessary money into them for marginal gain kills the entire reason to own them. 

If you need higher output and lower extension - that's where TH118XL's and X4 amp come into play. 
If it's a dry rental and abuse is a high concern - just add more 828SP's. 

-------------

If you want to consider tweaking one as a thought experiment - add up the cost of a pair of 18SW115-8 drivers.  Add the cost to add bracing to the cabinets.  Add the cost to tweak the ports.  Add the cost to increase power handling (around 6kw @ 4 ohms).  You now have spent $$$ to have a "super 828".  How much higher cost is that than adding another 828SP?  Or swapping your inventory to all TH118XL's, even factoring in a few recones here and there? 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 06:15:00 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.