ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure SLX wireless HH mics with Beta capsules or??  (Read 3502 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Shure SLX wireless HH mics with Beta capsules or??
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 07:59:06 PM »

To jump on this dogpile, I wouldn't wish the Beta87 on my worst enemy.

The SM86 is where it's at for a vocal condensor in the "affordable" category. Of course you can't go wrong with a KSM8 if you've got the scratch.

I might think about buying a couple of beltpacks with DPA headsets unless you just never get that kind of request. It might be wasted money for you, I don't know.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

TomBoisseau

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 11:10:42 AM »

I have 8 Shure Axient Digital handhelds that I retrofitted with SM86's (unfortunately Shure wouldn't sell me the Axient's with the SM86's).  While I should point out that most of my work is for corporate meetings and webcasts (not much live music), I really like the SM86's.  They seem a little more "smoother" (less bright) than a Beta87 and have much less proximity effect compared to an SM58.  Of course, I can understand at times that you might WANT that proximity effect, but for my purposes I'm very happy with the SM86's.

All that being, and please don't be offended, I don't know that I'd want to put much more money into any SLX system.  I own a few of those as well and, frankly, I have been very disappointed with the noise floor, lack of a true line level output, and overall quality.  I guess if you and the people you work with are happy with them, then ignore me.  I'll feel right at home! :)

Tom

Scott Helmke

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 01:10:52 PM »

Just looking at your rack; if you're looking to spend money, my suggestion would be an antenna combiner for your IEMs.

+1

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 04:54:52 PM »

The SM86 is a nice smooth condenser mic.  A dynamic element you might audition if you are looking at dynamics (other than the SM58) is the sE V7 used by Justin Timberlake, ZZ Top, and others.  Maybe not for everybody, but very good gain before feedback.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 10:38:59 PM »

All that being, and please don't be offended, I don't know that I'd want to put much more money into any SLX system.  I own a few of those as well and, frankly, I have been very disappointed with the noise floor, lack of a true line level output, and overall quality.  I guess if you and the people you work with are happy with them, then ignore me.  I'll feel right at home! :)

Tom

I agree with this thought, although at least if you purchase different mic heads and later upgrade your RF, you can still use the new heads.

Oh and another big thumbs up for the SM86.  It's a hidden Shure treasure.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2020, 11:44:59 AM »

A dynamic element you might audition if you are looking at dynamics (other than the SM58) is the sE V7 used by Justin Timberlake, ZZ Top, and others.  Maybe not for everybody, but very good gain before feedback.

Agreed.  On my SLX/ULX transmitters, I either use SM58 or sE V7 capsules.  Have a couple of various Beta capsules on hand, just in case a vocalist has a preference, but those two represent 99.9999% of applications.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 12:21:53 PM »

The SM86 is a nice smooth condenser mic.  A dynamic element you might audition if you are looking at dynamics (other than the SM58) is the sE V7 used by Justin Timberlake, ZZ Top, and others.  Maybe not for everybody, but very good gain before feedback.

The last time I did a show with ZZ Top they used Telefunken M-80 or 81.  Endorsing deal.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2020, 08:50:17 PM »

Agreed.  On my SLX/ULX transmitters, I either use SM58 or sE V7 capsules.  Have a couple of various Beta capsules on hand, just in case a vocalist has a preference, but those two represent 99.9999% of applications.

Dave

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I'll look at adding a few SM86's and a few v7's to the arsenal soon.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2020, 08:50:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.