ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crest Audio FA1201 low volume + clipping  (Read 348 times)

Bobby Saraceno

Crest Audio FA1201 low volume + clipping
« on: April 15, 2020, 03:15:02 pm »

Hello, this is my first post. I'm building a PA system to use with my band and I just got a Crest Audio FA1201 power amp for a song on Craigslist. I brought it home and connected it to my Peavey sp2 xt 8 ohm PA speakers. I hooked my bass up through a DI into the input and all I could hear was a distorted signal at low volume despite the channel volume control being up almost half way. This is my first time purchasing a power amp, I actually have never used one before because I always used powered mixers. Due to the things being the way the are now, I can't exactly take it to a repair shop. If anyone has any tips or advice, please let me know. Thanks in advance

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Crest Audio FA1201 low volume + clipping
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 03:25:18 pm »

Hello, this is my first post. I'm building a PA system to use with my band and I just got a Crest Audio FA1201 power amp for a song on Craigslist. I brought it home and connected it to my Peavey sp2 xt 8 ohm PA speakers. I hooked my bass up through a DI into the input and all I could hear was a distorted signal at low volume despite the channel volume control being up almost half way. This is my first time purchasing a power amp, I actually have never used one before because I always used powered mixers. Due to the things being the way the are now, I can't exactly take it to a repair shop. If anyone has any tips or advice, please let me know. Thanks in advance

The DI's output is closer to mic level than line level so that you have little signal does not surprise me.  That it is distorted could be a couple of things - the bass is overdriving the DI input (active bass, inexpensive passive DI) or perhaps there is a bad cable/connector, or that the amp needs to see Dr dB for repairs.

Your powered mixer likely has a line output of some kind.  Hook that up to the Crest, use some tracks from your phone or a CD, or just plug in a vocal mic. What comes out of the speakers?
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Bobby Saraceno

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 05:17:48 pm »

The DI's output is closer to mic level than line level so that you have little signal does not surprise me.  That it is distorted could be a couple of things - the bass is overdriving the DI input (active bass, inexpensive passive DI) or perhaps there is a bad cable/connector, or that the amp needs to see Dr dB for repairs.

Your powered mixer likely has a line output of some kind.  Hook that up to the Crest, use some tracks from your phone or a CD, or just plug in a vocal mic. What comes out of the speakers?

That works great with the mixer - everything's perfect now. Thanks for the quick advice! playing music through it works great - and micing my amp works great too.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 02:01:51 pm »

That amp could be from as far back as the late 80's and it was one of the larger output models of the series, meaning quite a bit was crammed in 2 rack spaces in an era when that was quite bleeding-edge technology so quite a bit could have gone wrong with it in the last 30 years!
I still have one in my "museum" and even with an 1/8" to XLR adaptor setup my phone doesn't drive it all that loud either -so anything through a D.I. box doesn't stand a chance!  That being said, the phone does give it enough level to verify it is working fine. 
-Even a phone with a headphone jack is now considered "antique" so I'm amazed my 32 year old amp still works!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 02:01:51 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.